PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Four Roses Medley

SapperDawg
08-29-2015, 09:50 PM
For those that may not be familiar, I host a whiskey tasting in my office on Friday afternoons with my senior employees. There are four of us, generally, that get together to enjoy the spirit of the week. Over the last several years, we have built a pretty fine cabinet at work, and our homes.

This week was Four Roses week from my personal collection. Our selection included:

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/2FC683DB-04F4-4BE5-8336-FFE8B2E270F0_zpslfvq6jll.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/2FC683DB-04F4-4BE5-8336-FFE8B2E270F0_zpslfvq6jll.jpg.html)

Small Batch: I have extolled the greatness of this bottle for a while in different threads. It is a blend of four different 4R recipes and is the best $30 bottle you can buy. This one changes flavors between bottling, depending on what recipes are blended. At 90 proof, it wont blow you out, and the one I have has that rye spiciness I like.

Black Label: Not available in the US, I picked this on up in Japan. At 80 proof, this one is made for the Japanese palate. We were planning on tasting this one beside the yellow label, but one of our members forgot it. This one is a good pour, not overly complex, and has those 4R fruity notes you expect.

OESO: Aged 10 years, 7 months; private selection from McScrooges in Knoxville, TN. At 58.4% alcohol, this one is stout! This recipe was also used as the Limited Edition release in 2007 at 13.5 years old. This one is good, and much spicier than I expected given the low rye mashbill, but does not drink as if it is a cask strength. The nose had the distinct fruit, but taste did not pull that out.

OBSK: Aged 12 years, 3 months; private selection from the AL ABC stores in HSV, AL and comes in a just over 54%. Used as 2008 and 2013 Limited Edition SB at 12 and 13 years respectively. This is the high rye mash, but we found it less spicy than the OESO?very surprising, but goes to prove you cant beat time in a barrel. We really liked this one - great mouthfeel, woody with that buttery feeling left over.

I have a goal to collect one each of the 10 recipes and have an all out tasting with them. However, tasting cask strength whiskeys will definitely mean a short night?.or one hell of an epic party.

Bottom line, if you can find the Private Selection Single Barrels, ensure you grab one. Should be between $60 and 70 per bottle, depending on where you are, and are very much worth the investment.