PDA

View Full Version : Defending the prognosticators somewhat

somebodyshotmypaw
08-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Everyone is getting their panties is a wad over some of the picks. Remember that the best teams don't always get recognized as such. Notre Dame played for a natty a few years ago with Manti Teo. They weren't a top 2 team, they just had the record. Teams in the Big 10 and the ACC can easily go 12-0 or 11-1 if they are quality teams. There will be some quality SEC west teams go 8-4 or 9-3. And 9-3 or probably 10-2 leaves you on the outside looking in. So it's easy to love Ohio State, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, etc. Because they have a schedule that allows you to be a legit playoff contender.

As for folks picking LSU and A&M, remember that some team went 6-6 in 2013, then spent 5 weeks at #1 the very next year and was a legit playoff contender. A&M is plausible because they have the easiest SEC west schedule by far. Schedule matters a lot. I can make a legit case for any of the 7 teams to finish last in the west, or to win the west. The margin for error is going to be small. I'll bet big money that some SEC West school is going to pay a coach over $4,000,000 to field a very good team who will finish last.

My real concern is that the SEC west champ is 6-2 (10-2) overall and gets left out of the playoff. I don't think anything in the West is out of the realm of possibility.

And for the folks like Danny Kannell who loved the west's implosion at bowl time last year, he forgot to mention that we all "played up". Auburn (tied for 4th in west) played Wisconsin (1st place in west). Ole miss (3rd in west) played TCU (tied for 1st in entire big 12). MSU (2nd in west) played GT (1st in Coastal). We weren't necessarily down, we just mostly played up in competition. Let's put the 6th or 7th best team in the ACC up against the 2nd best SEC team and see how Kanell likes it. The SEC west is the best and it ain't even close. NFL scouts will tell you.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-29-2015, 07:35 PM
The margin for error is going to be smaller than ever this year in the west. A key injury, a few missed field goals, could make a huge difference for any of us.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Everyone is getting their panties is a wad over some of the picks. Remember that the best teams don't always get recognized as such. Notre Dame played for a natty a few years ago with Manti Teo. They weren't a top 2 team, they just had the record. Teams in the Big 10 and the ACC can easily go 12-0 or 11-1 if they are quality teams. There will be some quality SEC west teams go 8-4 or 9-3. And 9-3 or probably 10-2 leaves you on the outside looking in. So it's easy to love Ohio State, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, etc. Because they have a schedule that allows you to be a legit playoff contender.

As for folks picking LSU and A&M, remember that some team went 6-6 in 2013, then spent 5 weeks at #1 the very next year and was a legit playoff contender. A&M is plausible because they have the easiest SEC west schedule by far. Schedule matters a lot. I can make a legit case for any of the 7 teams to finish last in the west, or to win the west. The margin for error is going to be small. I'll bet big money that some SEC West school is going to pay a coach over $4,000,000 to field a very good team who will finish last.

My real concern is that the SEC west champ is 6-2 (10-2) overall and gets left out of the playoff. I don't think anything in the West is out of the realm of possibility.

And for the folks like Danny Kannell who loved the west's implosion at bowl time last year, he forgot to mention that we all "played up". Auburn (tied for 4th in west) played Wisconsin (1st place in west). Ole miss (3rd in west) played TCU (tied for 1st in entire big 12). MSU (2nd in west) played GT (1st in Coastal). We weren't necessarily down, we just mostly played up in competition. Let's put the 6th or 7th best team in the ACC up against the 2nd best SEC team and see how Kanell likes it. The SEC west is the best and it ain't even close. NFL scouts will tell you.

I agree that it's a tough division to predict & that it's wide open, however, that should mean that the number of schools that are picked to win it & the number of schools are picked to finish last should be varied. But that hasn't happened. Alabama & Auburn have been picked by most to win it, & MSU has been picked by most to finish last. That is group think..... and is what we are frustrated with.

If it were spread out more evenly, say MSU was picked last in a few polls, 3rd in a few, 2nd in one poll, & maybe first in a poll or two, I could buy that people are giving their personal opinions & thinking things through. However, when virtually every poll is the same and MSU is completely dismissed in a division that is as tight & has as much uncertainty as this one, it shows you that these guys either have an agenda or are stupid & ignorant. There is nothing about MSU's team that insinuates that we are the no doubt team to finish last place, & there is nothing about anyone else's team that insinuates that they will no doubt finish above us. If that's the case, then why don't the predictions & polls reflect that?

somebodyshotmypaw
08-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Agreed shotgun, I'm more defending the picks of an LSU and A&M in west, or a Notre Dame/Clemson/Baylor/TCU/Georgia in playoff. Ohio State should be almost a lock.

I think all SEC west teams are legit contenders. Some are gonna need more luck than others, but it is plausible. MSU could go anywhere from 5-7 to 12-0 regular season. It's crazy.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-29-2015, 07:47 PM
We play seven teams that are capable of whipping anybody in the country. And we are also capable of whipping anybody in the country. Anybody.

Coach34
08-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Auburn lost just as many starters on offense as we did- plus their QB. But because of recruiting rankings- Auburn is picked to win the West and their new QB is a Heisman contender. The belief that all we have is Prescott is ridiculous.

Dawgowar
08-30-2015, 08:29 AM
The prognosticators are just lazy douchebags. Why they are lazy douchebags is no longer something I care about. It is now fall, football time. They (progasticators) have sided against the family. Never take sides against the family Fredo. Never.

Just my two cents, could be wrong.

Maroonthirteen
08-30-2015, 08:55 AM
just watched our preview show on SECTV. I dont have a problem with their picks, other than the EB. We will win that game. Also we will give alabama hell and can win that game.

However, all I hear them talk about concerning teams that lost players, that they predict better seasons, is recruiting rankings. They are making sec game predictions based on high school stats. Ridiculous.

OM, because their show came on next... they are still taking about a recruiting class. 5 is good, Conner is good. But Treadwell will NOT be 100%. I just heard them say he is faster.....GTFO. Big softie will miss a game and numerous plays in other games. How will those recruiting stars work out on the sideline?

BulldogBear
08-30-2015, 10:00 AM
just watched our preview show on SECTV. I dont have a problem with their picks, other than the EB. We will win that game. Also we will give alabama hell and can win that game.

However, all I hear them talk about concerning teams that lost players, that they predict better seasons, is recruiting rankings. They are making sec game predictions based on high school stats. Ridiculous.

OM, because their show came on next... they are still taking about a recruiting class. 5 is good, Conner is good. But Treadwell will NOT be 100%. I just heard them say he is faster.....GTFO. Big softie will miss a game and numerous plays in other games. How will those recruiting stars work out on the sideline?

Yeah, I like how they already allow for us to beat LSU early but still limp in at 6-6. Already got the excuse in place for the skull dragging on 9/12. So when we whip LSU, it'll still be "nothing to see here."