08-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Traits they considered to be important:
-Having a proven QB
-Elite Recruiting
-A first term coach (4 years or less)
-A defensive line of doom
-A stellar secondary
-Creative scoring

Where do y'all think we fall in those categories?
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-preview-reverse-engineering-a-champion-ohio-state-tcu-ucla/

ShotgunDawg
08-28-2015, 09:43 AM
-Having a proven QB
-Elite Recruiting
-A stellar secondary
-Creative scoring

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-preview-reverse-engineering-a-champion-ohio-state-tcu-ucla/

-Having a proven QB - CHECK
-Elite Recruiting - NOT QUITE
-A first term coach (4 years or less) - NOT SURE WHY THIS MATTERS. COULD YOU ARGUE IT TOOK MULLEN 3 YEARS TO CLEAN UP CROOM'S MESS?
-A defensive line of doom - POTENTIALLY, BUT UNPROVEN
-A stellar secondary - UNDERRATED, & COULD TURN INTO A STRONG POINT. MORE TALENTED THAT LAST YEAR & A SCHEME THAT GIVES THEM A CHANCE
-Creative scoring - CHECK

In conclusion, we don't check all the boxes, but I wouldn't say any of the boxes, except "First Term Coach" is completely unattainable.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Not sure how a First term coach relates but you see a lot more coaches willing to sell their soul for recruiting stars. Chizik is a prime example of someone that not only turned a blind eye to player "transactions" but put a bag over his head with earmuffs on. I think more than not unless you have a Heisman type QB, you have to have an amazing defense with a great run game. Bama and LSU pretty much follow this example. Auburn is an example of a great QB with enough play makers around him on offense and defense to win it.

5 Star
08-28-2015, 11:38 AM
#2 takes care of almost all of that list. Better athletes are going to create other scoring opportunities. On the coach, the time isn't as big of a factor as the fire the coaches have. I think a few coaches mellow under the stress after a few years of going at it like a wild man. Plus, people adapt to them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-28-2015, 01:00 PM
I think you're on the right track 5 star. I'd add about the coach that I think he has to be a great communicator and has to have great integrity for their "message" not to turn stale.

scottycameron
08-28-2015, 01:36 PM
I don't know grantland and after seeing that I don't want to. Do they not know what reverse engineering means or do they not know college football? Surely they could easily look up the CFB champions the last several years if they don't know who they are. The first thing listed makes no sense at all - proven QB. Even if they are lazy or don't have google they should remember last years CFB championship if they bothered watching it. Creative scoring? WTF is that about? New coach?
Sounds like they're speculating about something they've never seen. Are all the articles this goofy?

LiterallyPolice
08-28-2015, 01:41 PM
-Having a proven QB
-Elite Recruiting
-A stellar secondary
-Creative scoring

Just to clarify, the article lists "Having a proven QB" as something that DOESN'T matter. From the article:

"In fact, in the past decade, the championship has been more likely to go to a team led by a first-year starter, as it did in 2007 (LSU’s Matt Flynn), 2009 (Alabama’s Greg McElroy), 2010 (Auburn’s Cam Newton), 2011 (Alabama’s AJ McCarron), 2013 (FSU’s Jameis Winston), and 2014 (OSU’s Cardale Jones, running the last leg of the title race in place of another rookie starter, J.T. Barrett)"

Dawgtini
08-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Just to clarify, the article lists "Having a proven QB" as something that DOESN'T matter. From the article:

"In fact, in the past decade, the championship has been more likely to go to a team led by a first-year starter, as it did in 2007 (LSU’s Matt Flynn), 2009 (Alabama’s Greg McElroy), 2010 (Auburn’s Cam Newton), 2011 (Alabama’s AJ McCarron), 2013 (FSU’s Jameis Winston), and 2014 (OSU’s Cardale Jones, running the last leg of the title race in place of another rookie starter, J.T. Barrett)"

So the OP was literally incorrect?

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 03:45 PM

So several guys that are game managers for Bama and several other QBs that have started or will start in the NFL