PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe is ripping AAA a new one

AlmostPositive
08-27-2015, 10:41 PM
He just hit a two run homer to go with an earlier RBI double and another hit. The Padres have to call him up soon at this rate.

https://twitter.com/epchihuahuas

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2015, 06:34 AM
My thought from the beginning on Hunter was that he had major league tools and power. However, my concern was would he hit for enough average to make the majors. My concern wasn't his ability, but rather his understanding of how guys were pitching him, his plate discipline, and his pitch recognition. But I felt those were things that could really be improved by seeing lots and lots of game pitches (not batting practice or cage pitches). Hunter needed to get 4 in-game at bats, every day, for an entire season. He had to stay healthy and the team had to keep sticking him out there, regardless of average. I thought it was key for improvement. That has happened and he has improved. I think he still has work to do. I think the biggest setback to his career could be if the Padres put him on the roster next year to play him once every seven days. He needs reps to continue to see live pitches. He needs to see as much live pitching as he can.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 11:06 AM
It looks like he changed his stance some. At State he was almost a completely open stance and it looks like they closed it up some.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 11:20 AM
My thought from the beginning on Hunter was that he had major league tools and power. However, my concern was would he hit for enough average to make the majors. My concern wasn't his ability, but rather his understanding of how guys were pitching him, his plate discipline, and his pitch recognition. But I felt those were things that could really be improved by seeing lots and lots of game pitches (not batting practice or cage pitches). Hunter needed to get 4 in-game at bats, every day, for an entire season. He had to stay healthy and the team had to keep sticking him out there, regardless of average. I thought it was key for improvement. That has happened and he has improved. I think he still has work to do. I think the biggest setback to his career could be if the Padres put him on the roster next year to play him once every seven days. He needs reps to continue to see live pitches. He needs to see as much live pitching as he can.

He is unusual in today's baseball. He didn't play travel ball or anything like that and he played for a small academy. He is very far behind most people from his experience level but his has the tools most MLB players don't have. We don't really know what his ceiling is because he is just figuring stuff out.

17thebears
08-28-2015, 11:29 AM
He is unusual in today's baseball. He didn't play travel ball or anything like that and he played for a small academy. He is very far behind most people from his experience level but his has the tools most MLB players don't have. We don't really know what his ceiling is because he is just figuring stuff out.

Huh?

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Huh?

Maybe I am wrong but I thought he never played summer ball until he got to MSU.

17thebears
08-28-2015, 11:35 AM
He played summer ball for years before he got to MSU.

Really Clark?
08-28-2015, 11:54 AM
He played for the Mississippi Worth Bandits.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I guess I was wrong. Maybe what I heard was the competition in high school was not there and that was what they meant.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I guess I was wrong. Maybe what I heard was the competition in high school was not there and that was what they meant.

He did take a year off from travel ball. Maybe that is what you were thinking.

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/hunter-renfroes-motivation-and-the-story-behind-mississippi-states-monster/