PDA

View Full Version : Something said on Home Cooking yesterday

TrapGame
08-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Weiner was talking to the guy from 247 ole miss about Javon Patterson starting as LG as a true freshman. The OM guy said it was purely talent alone and not anything due to lack of depth.

So, a true freshman, even though he is a 5* , starting as a LG isn't a depth issue? And he's next to LT Big Softy. The OM guy even said no one is getting by on that left side this season.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 09:28 AM
He must have missed that Tennessee commit that threw Patterson around like a stepchild

DancingRabbit
08-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Weiner was talking to the guy from 247 ole miss about Javon Patterson starting as LG as a true freshman. The OM guy said it was purely talent alone and not anything due to lack of depth.

So, a true freshman, even though he is a 5* , starting as a LG isn't a depth issue? And he's next to LT Big Softy. The OM guy even said no one is getting by on that left side this season.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

TrapGame
08-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Yeah, the smoke was thick coming out my speakers. But, Weiner didn't have the balls to question him.

DancingRabbit
08-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the smoke was thick coming out my speakers. But, Weiner didn't have the balls to question him.

I heard the same thing on Memphis radio. I think it was 247's national guy talking about "impact freshmen".

My ears perked up and I smiled.

Dallas_Dawg
08-27-2015, 09:44 AM
He must have missed that Tennessee commit that threw Patterson around like a stepchild

Just to be fair, you are talking about Kahlil Mckenzie who has been throwing everybody around. He truly is a monster and I'm glad we don't have to play them anytime soon.
But to start a true freshman on the OL, that is a recipe for disaster. It almost has to mean that they are an injury away from meltdown on the OL

msstate7
08-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Just to be fair, you are talking about Kahlil Mckenzie who has been throwing everybody around. He truly is a monster and I'm glad we don't have to play them anytime soon.
But to start a true freshman on the OL, that is a recipe for disaster. It almost has to mean that they are an injury away from meltdown on the OL

Yeah, he's an 18-year old monster. Patterson is about to see exceptional college football players now, not exceptional high schoolers.

I think Patterson will be a really good player, but om's qb and rb's will take a beating depending on him this year IMO

maroonmania
08-27-2015, 10:55 AM
And Patterson was not a 5 star. MS had no 5 star rated players last year.

TrapGame
08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
And Patterson was not a 5 star. MS had no 5 star rated players last year.

Oh, really? Weiner sure called him a five star. I guess committing to ole miss gives him an extra star.

NCDawg
08-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Yeah, just ask Alabama about starting a true freshman on the OL. They were a recipe for disaster.

Coach34
08-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah, just ask Alabama about starting a true freshman on the OL. They were a recipe for disaster.

If you start as a true Freshman- you better be a 3 year guy. Bama started the top OL recruit in the nation last year. Patterson aint that type of guy

PMDawg
08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Haven't they already done it with Tunsil and Taylor? Not sure it really means anything yet. If he's the best, he's the best.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Or the weiner

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2015, 11:33 AM
JB Grimes once told me that you lose 1 game for every freshman you start.

This is great news for other SEC West teams, if Ole Miss is starting Patterson.

This also goes to show you how simplistic & primitive Ole Miss' blocking schemes are. No wonder they can't run the ball or block. There is no way a true freshman could start for Heavesy, due to the complexity of the blocking scheme.

Also, I've tried to give Weiner a shot & listen to his show on a frequent basis, & he is talented, but it's almost unlistenable at times, due to him buying into the Ole Miss recruiting, hype machine. Simply, when presenting a topic, the presenter has the power to present the facts in an optimistic or pessimistic manner, and Weiner frequently chooses to present OM topics in an optimistic way & MSU topics in a pessimistic fashion. After a while, you just can't listen to it anymore, due the spin.

5 Star
08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
This also goes to show you how simplistic & primitive Ole Miss' blocking schemes are. No wonder they can't run the ball or block. There is no way a true freshman could start for Heavesy, due to the complexity of the blocking scheme.
Not true. Spread schemes are easier. If anything, Croom's scheme were the ones that were hard so your correlation of hard schemes to anything useful isn't valid.

Let's call a spade a spade - our guys typically aren't ready to play as freshmen. Is what it is.

5 Star
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
The OM guy said it was purely talent alone and not anything due to lack of depth.
Guess we'll find out in Week 3. I'm not going to call the guy wrong, but just looking at their offensive line play recently, it ain't been that doggone great. Me personally, I'm thinking they better go with the mobile quarterback because the middle line will be weak.

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Javon Patterson was a 5-star on 247. As soon as David Johnson got off the air, JW said something to the effect of he wasn't so sure that was a good thing and didn't buy that. Then they went to break.

So to recap: David, who works for 247, was on and he and JW called Patterson a 5-star in that segment which he is on 247. As soon as the David Johnson interview was over he said he wasn't sure that was good. So basically everything in this thread accusing JW of pumping up Patterson's stars and then pumping sunshine are both factually incorrect. Carry on

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
One thing to keep in mind here is that the 247 guy's son is a high school O-lineman that's committed to Ole Miss. Him saying that his son's future position unit has poor depth is probably not in his or his son't best interest.

Just throwing that out there.

CJDAWG85
08-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Or the weiner

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Javon Patterson was a 5-star on 247. As soon as David Johnson got off the air, JW said something to the effect of he wasn't so sure that was a good thing and didn't buy that. Then they went to break.

So to recap: David, who works for 247, was on and he and JW called Patterson a 5-star in that segment which he is on 247. As soon as the David Johnson interview was over he said he wasn't sure that was good. So basically everything in this thread accusing JW of pumping up Patterson's stars and then pumping sunshine are both factually incorrect. Carry on

I didn't listen to it & am just going off of what was said in this thread. However, I do listen to Weiner once or twice a week, & he is VERY optimistic about most things OM & seems to have lack of appreciation for MSU.

That being said, he is very talented & runs a professional, tight, crisp show. Seems to be very organized. However, I don't want to hear about how Ole Miss is now a national recruiting power because they went to Dallas and grabbed a composite 3 star recruit from the most recruited high school in America, where the water boy would be rated a 4 star if he had two feet. Texas A&M can't play defense. I can assure you that they are losing a player to Ole Miss that they think can help them there.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Let's call a spade a spade - our guys typically aren't ready to play as freshmen. Is what it is.

Or our upperclassmen are better than our freshmen. Just bc put freshmen olinemen don't play doesn't necessarily meant they can't

TrapGame
08-27-2015, 12:13 PM

So Weiner waits until David can't hear him and refutes his ass smoke in a ****** fashion. Figures.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Or our upperclassmen are better than our freshmen. Just bc put freshmen olinemen don't play doesn't necessarily meant they can't

Exactly. We're developing depth. So we don't have the need to start freshman in key positions most of the time. Cory Thomas could have started last year if we needed him...as could Peters, McLaurin, and several of our current freshman RB's and WR's this year.

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 12:22 PM
So Weiner waits until David can't hear him and refutes his ass smoke in a ****** fashion. Figures.

Basic radio protocol is to let the guest give their insight. We all know David Johnson is a rebel homer. So what? If you want guys who cover OM openly challenged to a debate, I don't think MS sports radio is for you b/c no one does that.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Basic radio protocol is to let the guest give their insight. We all know David Johnson is a rebel homer. So what? If you want guys who cover OM openly challenged to a debate, I don't think MS sports radio is for you b/c no one does that.

It certainly isn't for me. They're all terrible

scottycameron
08-27-2015, 12:33 PM
This would be such a fascinating debate for them to have if it wasn't for the fact Patterson won't start anyway. The Morris fat guy who's in his 7th or so year will start. Coming back from an injury so Patterson is listed ahead for now but he will have the 1 spot by the time the season kicks off - week 3, lol.
The other even fatter guard who's in his 5th or 6th year will start over Taylor also. Next year there will be no choice, they both start at guard by default. If they aren't all they are hyped to be, or if one of them get hurt, that rebel ship is sunk next year.

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 12:35 PM
It certainly isn't for me. They're all terrible

Haha. That's one way to go about it. Out of curiousity, do you listen to Bulldog Sports Radio?

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 12:40 PM
This would be such a fascinating debate for them to have if it wasn't for the fact Patterson won't start anyway. The Morris fat guy who's in his 7th or so year will start. Coming back from an injury so Patterson is listed ahead for now but he will have the 1 spot by the time the season kicks off - week 3, lol.
The other even fatter guard who's in his 5th or 6th year will start over Taylor also. Next year there will be no choice, they both start at guard by default. If they aren't all they are hyped to be, or if one of them get hurt, that rebel ship is sunk next year.

Well that's not exactly how this is lining up. By way of being the only healthy upper classman, Justin Bell is penciled in at 1 spot for now. The other spot was Rod Taylor's but his labrum injury has put Javon Patterson in the starter position. Word out of Oxford is that they're going to play Taylor and he'll be back to starting by the Bama game. So essentially they're saying Patterson will start the first two games and then be the 3rd OG. Wouldn't completely shock me if by season end Patterson is either starting b/c (A) Taylor can't get it done not 100% or (B) Taylor's getting it done and Patterson is far enough along to get Bell off the field.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Haha. That's one way to go about it. Out of curiousity, do you listen to Bulldog Sports Radio?

No, I haven't. Are the showed pre-recorded rather than live?

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 12:51 PM
No, I haven't. Are the showed pre-recorded rather than live?

Yes they are.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Yes they are.

So what day are the broadcasts released? Are they good?

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 01:09 PM
So what day are the broadcasts released? Are they good?

Stuff gets released everyday but they're always in demand. I like some shows more than others. Different strokes for different folks. It's all MSU all the time. I listen somewhat regularly. Some folks are addicted. I like regular radio and still listen to OOB, H2H, and Home Cookin the most. I'd equate it to how republicans only watch Fox News and dems only watch MSNBC, hardcore Dogs and Rebs only listen to BSR and RSR.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Stuff gets released everyday but they're always in demand. I like some shows more than others. Different strokes for different folks. It's all MSU all the time. I listen somewhat regularly. Some folks are addicted. I like regular radio and still listen to OOB, H2H, and Home Cookin the most. I'd equate it to how republicans only watch Fox News and dems only watch MSNBC, hardcore Dogs and Rebs only listen to BSR and RSR.

Doubt I'd like it. I'm on here and other message boards like all the time, so I doubt there's much there I haven't already read about

scottycameron
08-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Well that's not exactly how this is lining up. By way of being the only healthy upper classman, Justin Bell is penciled in at 1 spot for now. The other spot was Rod Taylor's but his labrum injury has put Javon Patterson in the starter position. Word out of Oxford is that they're going to play Taylor and he'll be back to starting by the Bama game. So essentially they're saying Patterson will start the first two games and then be the 3rd OG. Wouldn't completely shock me if by season end Patterson is either starting b/c (A) Taylor can't get it done not 100% or (B) Taylor's getting it done and Patterson is far enough along to get Bell off the field.

we will see. Starters at guard will be Morris and Bell, with Taylor and Patterson as backups. As fat as the 2 upper upper classmen are Taylor and Patterson will get a lot of PT though. We will see who is right.

5 Star
08-27-2015, 02:57 PM
No crap?

You missed the point. Obviously the freshmen can play, but Patterson is starting. Big difference. Sorry, but we haven't signed that caliber of offensive lineman since Derek Sherrod. Like I said before, it may mean that they are weak, or it may mean Patterson is good, I don't know.

Just because we are developing depth doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit good players. It's asinine to say otherwise. Great players and great development would mean an ELITE offensive line, rather than just a good one.....one that would have helped us against Alabama and Ole Miss last fall.

It's not a hard concept. I'm not trying to bash our team or Hevesy.

msstate7
08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
No crap?

You missed the point. Obviously the freshmen can play, but Patterson is starting. Big difference. Sorry, but we haven't signed that caliber of offensive lineman since Derek Sherrod. Like I said before, it may mean that they are weak, or it may mean Patterson is good, I don't know.

Just because we are developing depth doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit good players. It's asinine to say otherwise. Great players and great development would mean an ELITE offensive line, rather than just a good one.....one that would have helped us against Alabama and Ole Miss last fall.

We just signed a 4* juco all American tackle that hasn't been able to beat out guys that were already here.

BTW, I'm not knocking Patterson. I think he's gonna be a good player. Had we signed him, I think he redshirts though

Jack Lambert
08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
No crap?

I look at it two ways

1. If it looks like they will leave after three play them
2. If not red shirt them and make them good and build depth.

As far as patterson goes I think they have a depth problem with the injuries and transfers and he is their best option.

maroonmania
08-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Yea, apparently he was 247's lowest rated 5 star and a 4 star for everyone else. So though he wasn't a composite 5 star, I guess since one reputable site had him as a 5 star I'll recant on my "not a 5 star" comment.

BeastMan
08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Yea, apparently he was 247's lowest rated 5 star and a 4 star for everyone else. So though he wasn't a composite 5 star, I guess since one reputable site had him as a 5 star I'll recant on my "not a 5 star" comment.

I'm wasn't aiming some shot at you. I'm just saying he was a 5-star on the network in which the guest he was speaking with works for. In that context it's logical.

Coach34
08-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Hey assholes:

Do a better job on conveying what is actually said on talk shows please. Thanks.

C34

archdog
08-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Well except the first Saturday in December. Get the f ready.

Dawgfan77
08-28-2015, 05:51 AM
My .02 here. Patterson while. Good player is not a true 5 star. Watched him play in hs and really other than size 6'3 and over 300 he really didn't stand out. Adams at BHS last year gave him fits due to his quickness and moves. Patterson is a guard all they way but I question his speed on pulls and traps and his strength Again just my .02

BeastMan
08-31-2015, 03:07 PM
we will see. Starters at guard will be Morris and Bell, with Taylor and Patterson as backups. As fat as the 2 upper upper classmen are Taylor and Patterson will get a lot of PT though. We will see who is right.

Om released depth chart. I was dead on. It's Bell and Patterson

RougeDawg
08-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Not true. Spread schemes are easier. If anything, Croom's scheme were the ones that were hard so your correlation of hard schemes to anything useful isn't valid.

So says the closet bear supporter.