PDA

View Full Version : Mullen press conference from Monday

DancingRabbit
08-26-2015, 08:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVLyi0bhs0&feature=youtu.be

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 10:33 AM
His answer to the special teams question pisses me off beyond belief. "I don't look at that until game week. We get a statistical analysis of every kick and go from there." What. The. Hell. No wonder our STs suck ass. Our HC doesn't give a shit about them and is making decisions from a ****ing spreadsheet. This is why I and many others here have been begging for years for Mullen to hire a dedicated ST coach. Get ready for practice all-star Devon Bell.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Posted it before I watched it.

Nothing earth-shattering. Biggest take-away? No significant injuries.

Said training camp ended Saturday. This week is transition week to game-week next week.

Asked if he was satisfied, Dan said "no I'm never satisfied. But I'm not disappointed. I like this team."

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2015, 10:43 AM
His answer to the special teams question pisses me off beyond belief. "I don't look at that until game week. We get a statistical analysis of every kick and go from there." What. The. Hell. No wonder our STs suck ass. Our HC doesn't give a shit about them and is making decisions from a ****ing spreadsheet. This is why I and many others here have been begging for years for Mullen to hire a dedicated ST coach. Get ready for practice all-star Devon Bell.

Meh, he said last week that he takes statistics & "gut feel" into account, which is exactly what he should do.

I'm really not sure what your hoping for here. Do you not think Dan is capable of choosing our best kicker?

He's not hiring a special teams coach. It's become apparent that he desires to have 1 more position coach over a special team's coach. While we often bash this, this could be part of the reason that his program has developed players so well. With the extra position coach, it gives players more one on one attention from the coaching staff.

I don't think people think about that enough. We praise this staff's ability to develop players yet we get upset about them allocating coaches in a way that allows them to more easily develop players.

thunderclap
08-26-2015, 10:47 AM
I hate Sobiesk didn't return. It would've been nice going into this year knowing we have a guy who can make a kick when it matters.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-26-2015, 10:51 AM
This is why I and many others here have been begging for years for Mullen to hire a dedicated ST coach.

Well, we have added some coaches over the last couple of years and one of the positions is Special Teams Quality Control. Now, I don't know what their role is, but at least we do have a person on staff dedicated to special teams. Albert Poore is the ST quality control guy for this season.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Meh, he said last week that he takes statistics & "gut feel" into account, which is exactly what he should do.

I'm really not sure what your hoping for here. Do you not think Dan is capable of choosing our best kicker?

He's not hiring a special teams coach. It's become apparent that he desires to have 1 more position coach over a special team's coach. While we often bash this, this could be part of the reason that his program has developed players so well. With the extra position coach, it gives players more one on one attention from the coaching staff.

I don't think people think about that enough. We praise this staff's ability to develop players yet we get upset about them allocating coaches in a way that allows them to more easily develop players.

Empirical evidence says the answer is no.

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Empirical evidence says the answer is no.

I would say empirical evidence says he has trouble attracting & coaching a good kicker, not that he has trouble picking the best one of the roster.

If you think Dan Mullen is crappy at coaching & recruiting kickers, then I'll agree. However, I have no problems with the way he choose who plays on gamedays.

smootness
08-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Well, we have added some coaches over the last couple of years and one of the positions is Special Teams Quality Control. Now, I don't know what their role is, but at least we do have a person on staff dedicated to special teams. Albert Poore is the ST quality control guy for this season.

He's not one of the nine assistant coaches. He's on staff, but you only get nine full, on-field assistants, and he's not one. Those are Diaz, Hughes, Townsend, Turner, Hevesy, Sallach, Johnson, Gonzales, and Knox.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-26-2015, 11:41 AM
He's on staff, but you only get nine full, on-field assistants, and he's not one.
I understand that, so what is he role? Is he not allowed to coach players at practice? I really don't think a ST guy on the sidelines is a major need.

Liverpooldawg
08-26-2015, 11:46 AM

That's what he should do.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2015, 11:47 AM
He's not one of the nine assistant coaches. He's on staff, but you only get nine full, on-field assistants, and he's not one. Those are Diaz, Hughes, Townsend, Turner, Hevesy, Sallach, Johnson, Gonzales, and Knox.

Knox is now listed as Assistant Coach - Running Backs/Special Teams Coordinator

Maroons
08-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Do you really think that our head coach doesn't give a shit about Special Teams?

Dawgtini
08-26-2015, 12:08 PM

Albert Poree Bio
Albert Poree (http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=10997&SPSID=90894)
Special Teams Quality Control

Check this thread: ED % Fieldgoals Kang vs ******* (http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?33550-Higher-FG-Under-Mullen-than-Sherrill)

maroonmania
08-26-2015, 12:19 PM
I would say empirical evidence says he has trouble attracting & coaching a good kicker, not that he has trouble picking the best one of the roster.

If you think Dan Mullen is crappy at coaching & recruiting kickers, then I'll agree. However, I have no problems with the way he choose who plays on gamedays.

My take is that Mullen is pretty much clueless when it comes to Special Teams, most especially in the return game and FG kicking. Why he feels like he has to personally be the one managing Special Teams and not hire someone else with a good track record in that area I don't understand. However, I've just accepted it and moved on.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Do you really think that our head coach doesn't give a shit about Special Teams?

Considering how poor we've been in every facet except punting under Mullen, with the notable exception of Leon Berry, I think the answer is rather obvious. Mullen doesn't think they're important and puts the bare minimum into them. Hell, he wouldn't even offer a walk-on spot to the kid from Starkville High last season.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Knox is now listed as Assistant Coach - Running Backs/Special Teams Coordinator

And he was ST Coordinator last season. We all knew the truth: He has the title, but Mullen still runs the show on STs. Knox is just the smokescreen Mullen hoped we would blame for our piss poor STs instead of him.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
I understand that, so what is he role? Is he not allowed to coach players at practice? I really don't think a ST guy on the sidelines is a major need.

I'm guessing he's the guy tracking all the kicks and compiling the spreadsheets. Because you can only have 9 coaches on the field. Remember VZ getting us in trouble Mullen's first or second year because The Kang was watching a practice and started helping our Ks? (I still get pissed about VZ making a big deal about it, because it happens everywhere.)

smootness
08-26-2015, 01:18 PM
You need to chill on this. That was a good press conference; Mullen obviously likes what he sees.

You obviously have created an idea of what you think Mullen thinks, and you will use every opportunity to bash him for that. Our STs can improve, but they're mostly fine. We were #1 in the country last year. Chill.

Maroons
08-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Considering how poor we've been in every facet except punting under Mullen, with the notable exception of Leon Berry, I think the answer is rather obvious. Mullen doesn't think they're important and puts the bare minimum into them. Hell, he wouldn't even offer a walk-on spot to the kid from Starkville High last season.

Asinine and ignorant.

We can disagree with the recruiting, game planning, or in-game decisions. But to actually think that he doesn't care is just stupid.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2015, 01:36 PM
And he was ST Coordinator last season. We all knew the truth: He has the title, but Mullen still runs the show on STs. Knox is just the smokescreen Mullen hoped we would blame for our piss poor STs instead of him.

I think that's way off-base. You're acting like Dan wants and expects our ST to be crap and makes a move to dodge the blame? Love him or hate him, I think Dan is harder on himself and his staff than the fans or media.

Kick-offs, punting and coverage were very good last year. Field goals were OK, and return teams were mediocre or worse. I bet he's spent some energy and time on shoring up the return game this year.

Johnson85
08-26-2015, 03:06 PM
return teams were mediocre or worse.

Kick-off returns maybe, but once Fred Ross was back there, did we keep having mistakes? I miss exciting punt returns, but at the same time, if you have a statistically great offense, why risk a mistake trying to squeeze yds out of the return game when you can play it safe and maximize the amount of touches your offense gets?

DancingRabbit
08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Kick-off returns maybe, but once Fred Ross was back there, did we keep having mistakes? I miss exciting punt returns, but at the same time, if you have a statistically great offense, why risk a mistake trying to squeeze yds out of the return game when you can play it safe and maximize the amount of touches your offense gets?

In conference games we were 12th in punt returns and 9th in KO returns.

I agree with you, I like Fred on punts. Some here want to try out some other guys but I'm fine just having someone that can field the punt cleanly. In the SEC punters and coverage teams are good enough that it's rare to get great return opportunities.

KO returns could be better but we were 2 extra yards away from 2nd place.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 03:48 PM

This is the problem. Anyone can fair catch it. We haven't had a guy who's an actual return threat back there since Berry graduated in '10.

smootness
08-26-2015, 03:50 PM
This is the problem. Anyone can fair catch it. We haven't had a guy who's an actual return threat back there since Berry graduated in '10.

It's already been stated, but we have a great offense. It may be exciting for fans to have a big punt return here and there, but those plays don't happen very often with anyone, and with our offense, it's smarter to field punts cleanly than to risk mistakes for the possible reward of a big play.

War Machine Dawg
08-26-2015, 03:54 PM
You need to chill on this. That was a good press conference; Mullen obviously likes what he sees.

You obviously have created an idea of what you think Mullen thinks, and you will use every opportunity to bash him for that. Our STs can improve, but they're mostly fine. We were #1 in the country last year. Chill.

We punt extremely well and we cover punts and KOs well. Everything else isn't very good. We're consistently bottom half of the SEC in returns. We've discussed our problems with FG kicking for years. And we still shank PAT attempts way too often. We have got to shore up those facets of the game if we want to be as good as we can. Asking our offense to constantly drive the field because we can't give them better field positions with good returns is a problem. Not being able to cash in points on 40+ yard FGs is a problem. Eventually that is going to cost us games.

Todd4State
08-26-2015, 05:38 PM

And how many times have we lost a big game because of special teams mistakes? Texas A&M 2013 immediately comes to mind. Failed fake punt against Florida in 2009 near the UF red zone is another. We're lucky we didn't lose the Egg Bowl in 2013 because of our special teams gaffes- getting a punt blocked in the end zone right before the half for Ole Miss's only TD of the game plus Sobiesk missing a makeable field goal in the middle of the field to win the game that sent the game to OT.

And then there is the "hidden yardage"- field position lost because of poor returns, poor coverage, missed field goals, blocked kicks, muffed punts- all have been a constant under Dan.

Todd4State
08-26-2015, 05:39 PM
It's already been stated, but we have a great offense. It may be exciting for fans to have a big punt return here and there, but those plays don't happen very often with anyone, and with our offense, it's smarter to field punts cleanly than to risk mistakes for the possible reward of a big play.

If we get better field position and limit our special teams mistakes, it would have led to even more points. And yes, I realize that we have a good offense. But that doesn't mean we aren't limiting ourselves.

Todd4State
08-26-2015, 05:41 PM
The REALLY frustrating thing to me is Dan being cute on special teams. Like having Robert Johnson as a blocker in the return man position. I also don't like kicking the ball off short and forcing a return. Even if statistically it is a better result than a touchback.

bulldawg28
08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
#Crybabiesareus#

FISHDAWG
08-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Asinine and ignorant.

We can disagree with the recruiting, game planning, or in-game decisions. But to actually think that he doesn't care is just stupid.

Apparently he cares about QB's & LB's ....... he has recruited most positions very well - why hasn't he recruited a kicker ? ..... he doesn't seem to put that same energy into finding a kicker..... it's just an observation so don't shoot the messenger

thf24
08-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Apparently he cares about QB's & LB's ....... he has recruited most positions very well - why hasn't he recruited a kicker ? ..... he doesn't seem to put that same energy into finding a kicker..... it's just an observation so don't shoot the messenger

I don't think it's lack of effort. I think it's mostly that place kicker is the hardest position to evaluate, and you can only afford to use one or two scholarships on it, so you can't take a shotgun approach. There's also the possibility that more and more athletes with strong legs are choosing to play soccer instead of football, so the supply of good kickers could be dwindling. Seems to me like it's become a crap shoot to come up with what the majority would call a "good" kicker. If you take a step back and look around, we're far from the only team that's had kicking issues in recent years. Just look at Alabama. The best recruiting team in the country, but they've had very inconsistent kicking going on several years now.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't think it's lack of effort. I think it's mostly that place kicker is the hardest position to evaluate, and you can only afford to use one or two scholarships on it, so you can't take a shotgun approach. There's also the possibility that more and more athletes with strong legs are choosing to play soccer instead of football, so the supply of good kickers could be dwindling. Seems to me like it's become a crap shoot to come up with what the majority would call a "good" kicker. If you take a step back and look around, we're far from the only team that's had kicking issues in recent years. Just look at Alabama. The best recruiting team in the country, but they've had very inconsistent kicking going on several years now.

Exactly, all of the kickers that we have put on scholarship went to prestigious kicking camps like Khol's and were highly recommended by those camps. We aren't the only ones who have had some issues on ST.

Johnson85
08-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Saban doesn't put a lot of emphasis on kicker recruiting either. If they're a crap shoot anyway, I can understand taking the position that you're going to roll the dice without wasting scholarships. Not sure I agree with it. But I understand the rationale.

FISHDAWG
08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Saban doesn't put a lot of emphasis on kicker recruiting either. If they're a crap shoot anyway, I can understand taking the position that you're going to roll the dice without wasting scholarships. Not sure I agree with it. But I understand the rationale.

Saban signed the # 1 kicker in the country 2 yrs ago

thf24
08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Saban signed the # 1 kicker in the country 2 yrs ago

And despite that, their team FG% over the past two years is 64%; just a few points better than ours, and significantly worse than ours last year. Just shows how hard evaluating a place kicker is.