PDA

View Full Version : A bear fan's view on their team....preseason

7dawg
08-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I have a good friend who is a UNM fan, if that is even possible. He is a fairly level headed guy. He may have a few second hand connections with the team, it seems all of their fans do.

Made the comment that we would probably will win the West since we were picked last (maybe that was a dig, I was a little slow yesterday). No other comments on my team.

On his team: I what the coaches say are true, it will be a great year. Didn't say much about the offense, just that they will probably have the biggest receiving core in NCAA football. Nothing about the running game or O-line. He was worried about the quarterback position. Said if Kelly didn't get the job, they were in trouble because he has seen the other two (assume talking about last year).

Defense: said they have beefed up the interior line and linebackers. So they would match up better with LSU and Arkansas. Said linebackers should be better than last year because they have some Jucos coming in. Secondary should even be better because they would be long at the corner spots.

Meh, I don't argue or rib with him, but this year will be different from the hell he gave me after the EB.

Cabo32
08-25-2015, 09:07 AM
They have a 230lb dt..I wouldn't call that "beefed up"..ARK will give them and everyone else problems this year

CadaverDawg
08-25-2015, 09:15 AM
I have a good friend who is a UNM fan, if that is even possible. He is a fairly level headed guy. He may have a few second hand connections with the team, it seems all of their fans do.

Made the comment that we would probably will win the West since we were picked last (maybe that was a dig, I was a little slow yesterday). No other comments on my team.

On his team: I what the coaches say are true, it will be a great year. Didn't say much about the offense, just that they will probably have the biggest receiving core in NCAA football. Nothing about the running game or O-line. He was worried about the quarterback position. Said if Kelly didn't get the job, they were in trouble because he has seen the other two (assume talking about last year).

Defense: said they have beefed up the interior line and linebackers. So they would match up better with LSU and Arkansas. Said linebackers should be better than last year because they have some Jucos coming in. Secondary should even be better because they would be long at the corner spots.

Meh, I don't argue or rib with him, but this year will be different from the hell he gave me after the EB.

I'm not denying they have a good team, and will have a good year....that being said, Juco's won't solve the LB position, losing Golson & Prewitt will not be seamless, they seem to still not be able to run the ball, and the QB "?" Is a major "?".

They have the talent to win the West, and with a decent coaching job should win no fewer than 10 games with that talent. If they win 9, Freeze didn't earn his money....if they win 8 or less, Freeze failed miserably and will never win any type of Championship at Ole Miss, or even 10 games for that matter. It takes talent, development, AND coaching to win Titles....I question the latter 2 with that staff.

Maroonthirteen
08-25-2015, 09:22 AM
biggest receiving core in NCAA........

Can anyone give an example of a WR breaking the tibia and fibula in two, then returning the next season just as good or better? I am thinking Treadwell isn't going to be as quick nor as physical. Just my feeling.....

LC Dawg
08-25-2015, 09:34 AM
they will probably have the biggest receiving core in NCAA football.

Anybody that lists Jeremy Liggins as a TE should have the biggest receiving core in NCAA football.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-25-2015, 09:34 AM

Can anyone give an example of a WR breaking the tibia and fibula in two, then returning the next season just as good or better? I am thinking Treadwell isn't going to be as quick nor as physical. Just my feeling.....

Not only that but the mental aspect of running a route and anticipating contact. You have to think that it(Broken leg) will always enter his mind.

Jarius
08-25-2015, 09:35 AM
There is such parity in the West that no one knows how it is going to shake out and you can literally make a case for anyone. I think it's possible that we have a 1998 type year where 8-4 or 9-3 wins it on a tie breaker. There are going to be a lot of folks knocking people off and it is going to be a crazy year. Auburn loses a ton but is always good on offense and get Lawson back on defense along with an upgrade at D Coordinator, ATM is still shaky on defense. We lose a lot of "starters" which could possibly hurt our depth, Arkansas went 6-6 last year and lost their best tailback and a lot on defense, Ole Miss is breaking in a new qb and lost 2 all American types in the secondary with a mediocre offensive line returning, Bama has no quarterback and lost possibly the best college receiver I've ever seen but does have lot returning on defense, and LSU is returning 2 bad quarterbacks and a defensive coordinator that has been fired from 2 previous coordinator positions.

Covercorner2
08-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Who are these huge receivers? Bear is bigger than anyone they have on the WR depth chart. Morrow, Jesse Jackson, Fred Ross and Justin Johnson aren't small either. It's 2015, everyone has big receivers...

Bubb Rubb
08-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Yes, they have a very good receiving corps. But, how do they capitalize on that when they don't have a proven QB? Their OL may end up being borderline historically bad. They will be throwing a ton of bubble screens.

If their defense is as good as it hopes (and I think it will be pretty good), they may not have to score more than a couple of TDs per game. That's a good thing for them because their offense is going to be bad.

As far as defense....linebackers are a huge question mark. Quick...name one LB they have that would start for us. I'll hang up and listen.

Tbonewannabe
08-25-2015, 09:40 AM

I wonder if Treadwell plays not to get hurt this year. We definitely saw what happens to production when JRob seemed to start looking towards the draft.

TrapGame
08-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Hell, some moron named Landshark was on Bo's show yesterday saying the team is confident they're be in the top 4 for the NC this year. Bo laughed out loud and said "Seriously?!".

Jack Lambert
08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
There is such parity in the West that no one knows how it is going to shake out and you can literally make a case for anyone. I think it's possible that we have a 1998 type year where 8-4 or 9-3 wins it on a tie breaker. There are going to be a lot of folks knocking people off and it is going to be a crazy year. Auburn loses a ton but is always good on offense and get Lawson back on defense along with an upgrade at D Coordinator, ATM is still shaky on defense. We lose a lot of "starters" which could possibly hurt our depth, Arkansas went 6-6 last year and lost their best tailback and a lot on defense, Ole Miss is breaking in a new qb and lost 2 all American types in the secondary with a mediocre offensive line returning, Bama has no quarterback and lost possibly the best college receiver I've ever seen but does have lot returning on defense, and LSU is returning 2 bad quarterbacks and a defensive coordinator that has been fired from 2 previous coordinator positions.

I think State and Auburn will be the only two teams in the West not to struggle on offense.

Johnson85
08-25-2015, 11:12 AM
I think State and Auburn will be the only two teams in the West not to struggle on offense.
I don't think Akansas will struggle on O, or at least they won't struggle to implement their offensive game plan, which is run the ball a ton and use the QB and playaction pass just enough to keep defenses honest. I don't think they'll be a high scoring offense and will struggle to move the ball against the biggest defenses like Bama, LSU, MSU. But I think even with the loss of their best RB, their main issue is that their defense won't be good enough to implement their preferred game plan.

Coach34
08-25-2015, 11:53 AM
They will be in no way as good at Lb as they were last year

mic
08-25-2015, 12:08 PM

This is 100% true.

Dawgface
08-25-2015, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Treadwell plays not to get hurt this year. We definitely saw what happens to production when JRob seemed to start looking towards the draft.

This. I will believe he is as good as before when I see it. If he is.......more power to him. As far as how many games OM wins, much depends on how their qb's pan out. A good performance from one could mean 9 wins, a not so good performance could result in some mighty disappointed bear fans.

MetEdDawg
08-25-2015, 01:40 PM

How they can even rationalize this is beyond me. It's their biggest weakness on defense and I think it's going to show, especially since their backups got very few reps.

That to me is their biggest question period. Their 2nd teamers got virtually no back up reps last year, so everyone who is new starting has very limited playing time under their belts. But then you look at our guys and you see why we are so excited about the potential of our defense. Tons of backups got MEANINGFUL reps because we knew it was needed for this year. I think that will hurt them some because they are still lacking in depth in a lot of areas. A few injuries in key areas and they are in serious trouble.

scottycameron
08-25-2015, 01:44 PM

why all this love for auburn from everybody? You don't think AU will struggle on offense but you think A&M will? Explain, please...

Jack Lambert
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
why all this love for auburn from everybody? You don't think AU will struggle on offense but you think A&M will? Explain, please...

I don't think A&M will struggle. I just forgot about them.

Jarius
08-25-2015, 01:51 PM

When is the last time Gus struggled on offense? When Houston Nutt hired him and wouldn't let him run his offense? A&M struggled last year on offense a good bit when it mattered. If Auburn has problems, history under this coaching staff says that those problems will be on defense.