PDA

View Full Version : All time coaching staff

YouKnowIt
08-24-2015, 02:29 PM
If you could assemble one coaching staff from all of the coaches that have ever coached at Mississippi State, what would it look like?

Head Coach- Bruce Arians
OC- Dan Mullen
QBs-Dan Mullen
RBs- Sylvester Croom
WRs- Billy Gonzalez
TEs- Tim Brewster (Recruiting Coordinator)
O-Line- John Hevesy

DC- Jo Lee Dunn
DL- Brick Haley
LBs- Manny Diaz
CBs- Melvin Smith
S- Tony Hughes

Special Teams- The Kang

Seeing different people write stories and blogs about our all time players at each position got me thinking about some of the coaches that have rolled through here. So I thought it'd be cool to see y'all's thoughts on what our all time coaching staff would look like.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Head Coach- Mullen (I get what your saying here, but I would rather have Mullen because I know what I'm getting at the college level)
OC- Bruce Arians
QBs-Dan Mullen
RBs- Greg Knox( I don't want Croom anywhere near our offense)
WRs- Billy Gonzalez ( Agree)
TEs- Tim Brewster (Recruiting Coordinator, Agree)
O-Line- John Hevesy ( Agree)

DC- Jo Lee Dunn (Agree for now, but Diaz can take this spot with a few good years IMO)
DL- Brick Haley (Tie with David Turner)
LBs- Manny Diaz (Jim Tompkins)
CBs- Melvin Smith (Agree)
S- Tony Hughes (Agree)

Special Teams- The Kang (ABSO17INGLUTELY)

blacklistedbully
08-24-2015, 02:50 PM
No to Joe Lee Dunn. There is a reason he has been a DC at a Div 3 school for many years now. His defensive schemes were fun with the right personnel versus the kind of offenses he faced back in the day. Not so much now.

I would take Manny over Dunn all day long and twice on Sunday.

archdog
08-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Just wanted to bump for the special teams coach = The Kang

War Machine Dawg
08-24-2015, 03:43 PM
I'll play along.

HC: Dan Mullen
OC: Bruce Arians
WR: Billy Gonzalez
RB: Sylvester Croom
TE: Tim Brewster
OL: John Hevesy

DC: Joe Lee Dunn
DL: Brick Haley
LB: Jim Tompkins
CB: Deshea Townsend
S: Tony Hughes

ST: Jackie Sherrill

I made Mullen HC over The Kang, but it pained me. Arians would also be a good choice, but I liked the point Shotgun made about knowing what I'm getting at the college level with Mullen. Say what you will about Croom as a HC, but the man is one hell of a RB coach. Plus I couldn't remember who coached RBs under JWS or I'd have gone with him. I'm a fan of Brewster and his recruiting abilities are worth it even though he was only here one year.

Defensively, I gotta go JLD. When his D was working, it was awesome. QBs were rattled and had no idea where the pressure was coming from. Brick Haley was my pick for DL, but it was hard to not go with John Hendricks. He produced a whole lot of badass DL for us over the years. Jim Tompkins for the LBs was a no brainer. He coached a ton of monster LBs here and you get his ATL recruiting connections - Tim Nelson, Greg Favors, etc. were all courtesy of his GA connections. It's a bit of a homer pick, but I took Deshea over Melvin. He's done a damn good job in his first two seasons and word is he's a top notch recruiter. Plus he's a young guy that would interject some energy into the staff, played the position at the highest level for years, and has Super Bowl rings that say he knows the position. Hughes is a no brainer for S and I make him my recruiting coordinator. He's earned that nod over Brewster, imo. Although I wouldn't have a problem making them co-coordinators with Hughes as in-state and Brewster as out of state.

The Kang for STs is the most obvious choice of all time. No more shitty Ks who are either head cases or can't make it from 25 yards out.

Spiderman
08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
HC Daryl Royal
OC Mullen
RB Emory Bellard
WR Ray Perkins
OL Murray Warmath
TE Bruce Arians

DC Jim Carmody
DL Ken Donahue
LB Jackie Sherrill
CB Johnny Majors
S Bob Valesente

Recruiting Cord. Bob Tyler
ADMIN. Asst. Bowden Wyatt

Mjoelner34
08-24-2015, 04:14 PM
DC:
..... Plus I couldn't remember who coached RBs under JWS or I'd have gone with him.

Glenn Davis was from '97 - '03.

Also, for OL I'd take Jerry Fremin over Hevesy.

YouKnowIt
08-24-2015, 04:17 PM
I put Diaz there just because I'd like to see the blitz packages he and Dunn could come up with. Tompkins was before my time.

LC Dawg
08-24-2015, 04:22 PM
What about Allyn McKeen as head coach? He won 76% of his games and coached our only undefeated season.

blacklistedbully
08-24-2015, 04:38 PM
What about Allyn McKeen as head coach? He won 76% of his games and coached our only undefeated season.

Different time back then. If that's the way you wanted to go, you could say Darrell Royal, but then we pretty much went that direction with Emory Bellard who was the key to Royal's success. But by the time we did it, the triple-option had just about run-its-course as a perennially viable offense in the SEC.

Barking 13
08-24-2015, 04:56 PM
I like what we have just fine, for this point in time. With that said, I'd have Arians on staff somewhere, and maybe Brewster.. I liked WMD's list, but JLD is a dinosaur... he was the man back in the day, but I think Manny is the future. (as I tap my chest and blow into my fist)

tcdog70
08-24-2015, 07:30 PM
HC Daryl Royal
OC Mullen
RB Emory Bellard
WR Ray Perkins
OL Murray Warmath
TE Bruce Arians

DC Jim Carmody
DL Ken Donahue
LB Jackie Sherrill
CB Johnny Majors