PDA

View Full Version : No details on practices but

gravedigger
08-23-2015, 07:32 PM
i know there have been no significant injuries. D fense controlling the line of scrimmage.

Saltydog
08-23-2015, 07:46 PM
nt

MetEdDawg
08-23-2015, 08:03 PM
nt

Our starting DL is severely underrated. This is where the whole returning starters garbage is magnified. The only DL considered a returning starter is Ryan Brown I believe. Think he started every game opposite Preston. Or maybe I have them Brown and Jefferson backwards but only one of them counts as a returning starter.

Either way, Jones, James, Jefferson, and Brown I believe all played more than 15 snaps in every single SEC game last year and I think they've all been in SEC games for the last 2 years. Same for Richie Brown and Will Redmond, who are both considered non returning starters even though they've logged tons of SEC minutes.

I think our starting DL is really good and will cause a ton of problems. Nelson Adams and Cory Thomas will do fine too. But it's backup DE I'm concerned about. Need Calvin, Coleman, Harris, Dale, Adams, Hoyett, and any other DL that hasn't logged any legit minutes to step up. But especially at DE. But I think our starting DL is nasty with a lot of experience and I'm not surprised to hear they are dominating some.

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Our starting DL is severely underrated. This is where the whole returning starters garbage is magnified. The only DL considered a returning starter is Ryan Brown I believe. Think he started every game opposite Preston. Or maybe I have them Brown and Jefferson backwards but only one of them counts as a returning starter.

Either way, Jones, James, Jefferson, and Brown I believe all played more than 15 snaps in every single SEC game last year and I think they've all been in SEC games for the last 2 years. Same for Richie Brown and Will Redmond, who are both considered non returning starters even though they've logged tons of SEC minutes.

I think our starting DL is really good and will cause a ton of problems. Nelson Adams and Cory Thomas will do fine too. But it's backup DE I'm concerned about. Need Calvin, Coleman, Harris, Dale, Adams, Hoyett, and any other DL that hasn't logged any legit minutes to step up. But especially at DE. But I think our starting DL is nasty with a lot of experience and I'm not surprised to hear they are dominating some.

I hear Calvin has been doing well this fall. Expected to be a pretty good back up with a nice pass rush

Coach34
08-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Chris Jones is a 1st-2nd round draft pick
Ryan Brown is 2nd-3rd-4th round pick
Nick James is a draft pick if he plays to potential
AJ Jefferson is a refrigerator with a high motor.

The DL has won the August scrimmage for the 7th year in a row. I'm not worried. Its what happens every year. Hevesy coaches our OL. We will be ready

somebodyshotmypaw
08-23-2015, 08:41 PM
The worry on the defensive line is depth. I'm not worried about Chris Jones, Ryan Brown, AJ Jefferson, or Nelson Adams. The question is Nick James, Calvin, Coleman, and the redshirt freshmen.

Eulls, Preston Smith, Virges, and PJ Jones are replaceable. But they are four quality bodies. We could play a front four last year with 8 or 9 guys without much drop off. This year we have 4 or 5 proven guys. Gotta see what the new guys can do.

Coach34
08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
#34 is ready to play DT. He could have played last year if we had needed him

somebodyshotmypaw
08-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Well he's dang sure gonna get his chance

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm confident in the 2 deep on the line after that it gets dicey but not many teams go past the 8th man on the DL without a drop off.

DE - R. Brown, Calvin
DT - Jones, Thomas
DT - James, Adams
DE - Jefferson, Coleman

somebodyshotmypaw
08-23-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm confident in the 2 deep on the line after that it gets dicey but not many teams go past the 8th man on the DL without a drop off.

DE - R. Brown, Calvin
DT - Jones, Thomas
DT - James, Adams
DE - Jefferson, Coleman

I don't disagree. The problem is that Calvin, Coleman, and Thomas have never seen the field. So they are nothing but a promise at this point. Nick James has flashed potential, but has yet to live up to it. But they will all get their chance. I trust this staff's evaluation and teaching.

Bothrops
08-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm a little worried about how long James can go and be effective.

Coach34
08-23-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm a little worried about how long James can go and be effective.

Thats what Adams is for...but make no mistake- 88 is in the best shape he has ever been in

preachermatt83
08-23-2015, 11:36 PM

This! Big Cory is an absolute beast!