PDA

View Full Version : AP Top 25 Out

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Not surprised, we are #26

Everyone in the west but State and A&M in.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25278279/ohio-state-unanimous-no-1-in-preseason-ap-top-25

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Well can you blame them? We don't have anybody but Dak.** but it amazes me that a team with an untested, inexperienced QB is 15th. I don't think I've ever seen a single recruiting class get more publicity than that one

NCDawg
08-23-2015, 02:42 PM
It means naught, zero, nothing. We beat LSU, Auburn, & Texas A&M in a row again, and we're probably back to no. 1, or close to it.

Coach34
08-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Yep- lets handle our bidness and we will be right back where we should be.

Leroy Jenkins
08-23-2015, 02:54 PM
The only team from a P-5 conference to win 10 games last year (there were 16 of them) and be outside the top 25.

Dawg496
08-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Guys.. last year we were picked #36 and finished 25 spots higher at #11.

This year we are picked #26... print the t-shirts.

Covercorner2
08-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Arkansas is so overrated. Wow. From 7-5 to #18 in the country.

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Arkansas is so overrated. Wow. From 7-5 to #18 in the country.

After losing their best 3 players on defense and best running back.

BulldogBear
08-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Guys.. last year we were picked #36 and finished 25 spots higher at #11.

This year we are picked #26... print the t-shirts.

I like the way you think. Arithmetic rules.

Pokechop Womack
08-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Just like last year we will make a strong run towards the top of that list starting in week 2... just give it time

shannondawg
08-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Ever hear anybody brag about their preseason ranking in Nov.?

shannondawg
08-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Coach34
08-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Northern Miss fans

archdog
08-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Hell I still hear some mention that year with Snead where they were 8th or whatever.

BeardoMSU
08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Northern Miss fans

Beat me to it, Coach.

BeardoMSU
08-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Hell I still hear some mention that year with Snead where they were 8th or whatever.

Yup. They actually started at #6, I believe, and got all the way up to 4 (without actually playing anyone), before getting trounced by SC.

A buddy of mine framed the SI cover of Snead, and the one of Nutt (looking down his sunglasses all sleazily, lol), from that summer. Not just a frame from Walmart, though, that wouldn't cut it; he had it framed and custom matted with the OM university seal and everything. Couldn't hang out at his house without him pointing it out.

It was sad though....he was so convinced they were winning the NC that year, I don't think he's ever emotionally recovered, lol.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-23-2015, 07:25 PM
It would not surprise me that by the end of the season that all 7 teams in the SECW are ranked in the top 25.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Well can you blame them? We don't have anybody but Dak.** but it amazes me that a team with an untested, inexperienced QB is 15th. I don't think I've ever seen a single recruiting class get more publicity than that one

The only thing I blame them for is the lack of research and the overall pure lazy.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Just like last year we will make a strong run towards the top of that list starting in week 2... just give it time

Exactly. Destroy USM, move into 18-22 range depending how many in the bottom half lose the first week.
LSU is #14 and will jump to #12 or so after beating Mcneese. We beat LSU and jump ahead of them into 12-15 range.

Johnson85
08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
It means naught, zero, nothing. We beat LSU, Auburn, & Texas A&M in a row again, and we're probably back to no. 1, or close to it.

Not disagreeing with you, but we had a lot of things fall into place to move into #1 that quickly as far as other people losing. This year, we could go undefeated through week 5 and still be outside of the top 5.

OSU will not have been tested yet unless they lose at Va Tech and we won't get moved ahead of them after what they did last year. TCU has Texas Tech and Texas. Baylor has Texas Tech. FSU doesn't have any real big tests. That's four teams that should be undefeated through week 5 and that we would not likely jump.

Then you have Michigan State and Oregon whose only test is each other, so one of them will likely stay ahead of us putting us at #6.

UGA and Bama face each other so one of them will be below us, but Bama will also have tests against Wisconsin and UM, so it's possible both could fall below us. So either #6 or #7.

CLemson has UL and Notre Dame so two opportunities to fall but if they do win, that will probably be enough to keep them ahead of us. USC has Stanford and Arizona St so two tests but also a chance to stay ahead of us, so between the two of those teams, a decent chance that we'll be #7 or #8 at that point even if we're undefeated.

Obviously not all of those things will happen, but there will also be some surprise teams that will be undefeated (Arizona St. for example has a tough schedule but would end up ahead of us if they're undefeated). I wouldn't expect to be higher than 4th or 5th if we are undefeated through week five.

Still "close" depending on your definition, just thought it was worth noting that we will not necessarily skyrocket up the polls like we did last year.

DancingRabbit
08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Exactly. Destroy USM, move into 18-22 range depending how many in the bottom half lose the first week.
LSU is #14 and will jump to #12 or so after beating Mcneese. We beat LSU and jump ahead of them into 12-15 range.

I don't think the voters will give us much credit for destroying USM.

And unless there are some very surprising upsets, there are only 3 ranked teams with a reasonable chance to lose. Most of the ranked teams are playing cupcakes.

#20 Wisconsin vs Bama - Wiscy is pretty much a lock to drop out.
#15 ASU vs aTm - If ASU loses there is a chance they don't drop out of the rankings, and aTm could leapfrog us.
#23 Boise State vs Washington - With what Petersen has returning, it's a long shot to win at Boise St.

We could destroy USM and still be sitting at #26. I'd think #24 is best case.

blacklistedbully
08-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Not disagreeing with you, but we had a lot of things fall into place to move into #1 that quickly as far as other people losing. This year, we could go undefeated through week 5 and still be outside of the top 5.

OSU will not have been tested yet unless they lose at Va Tech and we won't get moved ahead of them after what they did last year. TCU has Texas Tech and Texas. Baylor has Texas Tech. FSU doesn't have any real big tests. That's four teams that should be undefeated through week 5 and that we would not likely jump.

Then you have Michigan State and Oregon whose only test is each other, so one of them will likely stay ahead of us putting us at #6.

UGA and Bama face each other so one of them will be below us, but Bama will also have tests against Wisconsin and UM, so it's possible both could fall below us. So either #6 or #7.

CLemson has UL and Notre Dame so two opportunities to fall but if they do win, that will probably be enough to keep them ahead of us. USC has Stanford and Arizona St so two tests but also a chance to stay ahead of us, so between the two of those teams, a decent chance that we'll be #7 or #8 at that point even if we're undefeated.

Obviously not all of those things will happen, but there will also be some surprise teams that will be undefeated (Arizona St. for example has a tough schedule but would end up ahead of us if they're undefeated). I wouldn't expect to be higher than 4th or 5th if we are undefeated through week five.

Still "close" depending on your definition, just thought it was worth noting that we will not necessarily skyrocket up the polls like we did last year.

True, but when the first CFP vote comes in, we'd probably be in much better shape than the other polls.

blacklistedbully
08-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't think the voters will give us much credit for destroying USM.

And unless there are some very surprising upsets, there are only 3 ranked teams with a reasonable chance to lose. Most of the ranked teams are playing cupcakes.

#20 Wisconsin vs Bama - Wiscy is pretty much a lock to drop out.
#15 ASU vs aTm - If ASU loses there is a chance they don't drop out of the rankings, and aTm could leapfrog us.
#23 Boise State vs Washington - With what Petersen has returning, it's a long shot to win at Boise St.

We could destroy USM and still be sitting at #26. I'd think #24 is best case.

True, but if Tennessee struggles with Bowling Green and Mizzou struggles at all with SE Mizzou State, a blowout of USM could possible vault us over them. I suspect ASU would have to lose big to TAMU for us to leap-frog them, and yes, TAMU would enjoy a bigger jump, leapfrogging us. Wiscy would have to get whipped by Bama to have any chance of falling below us after week 1. Just losing to #3 is not enough, IMO.

I think #23 is best case, if all the above happens.