PDA

View Full Version : Would we have been better off losing to Arkansas last year?

Quaoarsking
08-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Inspired by a real-life conversation. Not sure that I agree, but it was an interesting discussion.

The theory says that if Arkansas beats us (probably by scoring in the last minute and a 2-point conversion), this lights a fire under the team and shows us we have to be at 100% every week. So the theory goes, we don't come out flat against Alabama and win.

Even if we still lose the Egg Bowl, Alabama would be 6-2, so we'd have the tiebreaker and go to the SEC Championship Game. Probably no playoff, but still an SEC title (assuming we beat Missouri, which we probably would have). And of course, beat Ole Miss, and it's probably the CFB Playoff.

BeardoMSU
08-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Uh, no. When was the last time we went undefeated at home?

msstate7
08-22-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't think so. Losing to bama sure didn't light a fire under us and neither did losing to OM

Coach34
08-22-2015, 12:36 PM
We were motivated vs Bama- the problem was that we had a shitty 1st half gameplan to go with the deer in headlights moment we had to overcome on the road in a big game. Now against Northern Miss- we didnt have a sense of urgency but we did have another awful 1st half gameplan.

Dawgface
08-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Heck no.

drunkernhelldawg
08-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Interesting. Never want to lose, of course, but one of the great mysteries of football is how sometimes the good ultimately works against you and vice versa. Example is scoring too quickly and giving the other team the ball. But I've noticed more subtle examples in the past as well.

LC Dawg
08-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Your goal is to win every game. If you have to lose a game to get motivated to win a big game then you are doing something wrong. We need to get accustomed to winning. In the Bama game they came out like they were used to playing in big games and we came out like we were accustomed to watching big games on tv.

Homedawg
08-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Smh.....

5 Star
08-22-2015, 05:51 PM
No. We needed LSU to beat Bama the week before. Either way, we had our chances in Tuscaloosa. And if we'd been undefeated, Geoff Collins might not have checked out early and we'd have probably beaten Ole Miss.

Oh, the life of a Moo U fan

Jack Lambert
08-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I think Collins would have clocked out before the Bama game. We lost to Ole Miss and GA Tech because Defensive planning. Collins did not have a game plan for Ole MIss and we did not have DC for the Ga tech game.

FlabLoser
08-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I can't even