PDA

View Full Version : Well, I was hoping this might be Starkvilles year to beat USP but apparently not.....

Saltydog
08-22-2015, 09:12 AM
They lost last night to Noxubee Co. I know Nox is a good team but a USP they aren't. Not a good debut for Ricky Woods. I think losing the QB from last year has hurt Starkville.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Nobody is beating USP. Last year was Starkville's best shot at it. Also Noxubee is the best team not in 6A.

hailmari
08-22-2015, 09:57 AM
I think they'll get it together sooner than later. Too much talent not to (along with a good coach).

Jeff Simmons is the truth. Must get.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Fans & media making enormous snap judgements after the first game is a terrible national past time of football.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Noxubee is pretty dang good.

msstate7
08-22-2015, 10:11 AM
They lost last night to Noxubee Co. I know Nox is a good team but a USP they aren't. Not a good debut for Ricky Woods. I think losing the QB from last year has hurt Starkville.

After Virginia tech beat Ohio state in the first game last year, did you think Ohio state would win the natty?

Long way to go...

scottycameron
08-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Fans & media making enormous snap judgements after the first game is a terrible national past time of football.

LOL, it's not always terrible. Make several great snap judgements after week one every year. One was Vandy last year.

Saltydog
08-22-2015, 10:42 AM
for that matter.

War Machine Dawg
08-22-2015, 10:45 AM

If Starkville can keep it close, Woods will outcoach Pogue. That said, I think The U probably has too much for Starkville. Woods will get it going at Starkville, but it'll probably take him a couple of years to be able to compete with the raw talent at SP.

msstate7
08-22-2015, 10:48 AM
OT some, but does south panola require football players to play football only? Think I read/heard that their players couldn't play other sports.

War Machine Dawg
08-22-2015, 11:55 AM
OT some, but does south panola require football players to play football only? Think I read/heard that their players couldn't play other sports.

That has never been the case to my knowledge.

msstate7
08-22-2015, 11:58 AM
That has never been the case to my knowledge.

Not sure where I picked that up. Glad it isn't the case.

scottycameron
08-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Not sure where I picked that up. Glad it isn't the case.

No. They play basketball and baseball. Renfroe was a very good 2 sport guy, right? Probably don't play golf or tennis though. LOL

TUSK
08-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Why has S. Panola been so good for so long?

Is it demographics, pop density, lack of (other/competitive sized) schools in the area?

Is it a self perpetuating system that recruits?

I'm just curious.

AlSwearengen
08-22-2015, 02:12 PM

Is it demographics, pop density, lack of (other/competitive sized) schools in the area?

I'm just curious.

Gene pool. A lot of the same names reoccur.

scottycameron
08-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Gene pool. A lot of the same names reoccur.

yep gene pool and demographics.

Billy Ray Valentine
08-22-2015, 04:13 PM

I'm just curious.

My theory is there must be a lot of hoes in Batesville. They had kids but being so close to Oxford a lot of the baby daddies are former bear players

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 04:47 PM

I'm just curious.

One reason is they run the same system at least from junior high on up. It may even go back to peewee. By the time players get to high school, they already know the offense and defense. It's second nature to them.

TUSK
08-22-2015, 04:49 PM
My theory is there must be a lot of hoes in Batesville. They had kids but being so close to Oxford a lot of the baby daddies are former bear players

I'm not sure you are correct, but you've the best response thus far.... +1

somebodyshotmypaw
08-22-2015, 04:56 PM
At South Panola, the best athletes want to play football over any other sport. Just like kids at Lanier want to be the 8th man on the basketball team rather than the best player on the football team. Football is king there.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2015, 04:59 PM
I all seriousness, there are few factors:

1. There is a RESPONSIBILITY to all that came before you to win. I think this is one thing that helps Bama on Saturdays over all other SEC schools. Don't have to motivate them.

2. There is an extreme gene pool situation in Batesville & Courtland that goes back to before the Civil War. However, I will not explain this on a public forum.

If you want to read a good book about this subject, I suggest reading David Epstein's book: http://thesportsgene.com/

tcdog70
08-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Noxubee has the toughest non4-A schedule in the State. They can play with any one.

5 Star
08-23-2015, 10:19 AM
It's all of the above, when trying to decipher why USP is so good.

- They were the first ones to win big, thus creating the tradition
- They have ridiculous talent in that county, regardless of how it happened
- Because of the two reasons above, they've been able to secure great coaching
- Aforementioned great coaches realize that high school programs are built in junior high
- Community supports the team
- I would not be surprised if Ole Miss had their hands in the program somewhere

Even with all that, they need to evolve. They need to be able to beat the Hoovers of the world, and if my memory serves, they haven't been able to do that very often.

scottycameron
08-23-2015, 11:18 AM
It's all of the above, when trying to decipher why USP is so good.

- They were the first ones to win big, thus creating the tradition
- They have ridiculous talent in that county, regardless of how it happened
- Because of the two reasons above, they've been able to secure great coaching
- Aforementioned great coaches realize that high school programs are built in junior high
- Community supports the team
- I would not be surprised if Ole Miss had their hands in the program somewhere

Even with all that, they need to evolve. They need to be able to beat the Hoovers of the world, and if my memory serves, they haven't been able to do that very often.

That's a lot of reasons, five too many.

MabenMaroon
08-23-2015, 03:35 PM

The real tell on Starkvegas will be next week on national tv against unmhigh in oxfart. This past Friday was the perfect storm for Noxubee, they have had the S'ville game circled on their calendars moments after they won state last year. They have a lot of talent and speed and combine that with a home game, a 45 minute weather delay, first half played in steady rain and a lot of uncharacteristic drops and turnovers for the Yellowjackets and voila you have an upset. Starkville responded very well in the second half, made some stops and forced some turnovers to get it to overtime. AJ Brown dropped a ball in his hands in the endzone on the final play of the second ot that would have at least forced another ot and could have won it pending an extra point attempt. Give a lot of credit to Noxubee though for coming out ready to play and for the most part taking care of business for the first three quarters and then making the plays in ot when Starkville didn't.

And, oh by the way, Jeffery Simmons is the real deal. An absolute beast that was all over the place making plays. He did so last year but did not have anybody around him to compliment his play. This year he has a more mature bunch surrounding him and there are some good players on that Tiger team.