PDA

View Full Version : Tragic story out of Baylor

confucius say
08-21-2015, 04:08 PM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

This article is long, but worth a read. What the hell was Baylor thinking.

The below article is shorter.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/all-that-and-a-bag-of-mail-082115

Leroy Jenkins
08-21-2015, 04:14 PM
"... Baylor coach Art Briles denied knowing about Sam Ukwuachu's past issues with violence this morning. But this afternoon Washington coach Chris Petersen said he called Briles and gave him all the information about Ukwuachu."

Ouch

Saltydog
08-21-2015, 04:20 PM
from reading these articles. My God, what the hell were they thinking. They apparently weren't. Horrible, just horrible.

confucius say
08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Contrast this with us kicking a starting safety in justin cox off the team for an allegation of domestic violence. And cox was subsequently cleared.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2015, 04:25 PM
from reading these articles. My God, what the hell were they thinking. They apparently weren't. Horrible, just horrible.
Briles didn't think another coach would call him out. Guess they are still taking advice from the people who advised their basketball coach 10 or so years ago.

FISHDAWG
08-21-2015, 04:27 PM
wow - I know the "lack of Institutional control" thing is way over hyped, but if this isn't a opened and closed case then I don't know what else would qualify

mparkerfd20
08-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Goodbye Art Briles. You will not be coaching much longer.

starkvegasdawg
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Goodbye Art Briles. You will not be coaching much longer.

TSUN head coach in waiting.

Todd4State
08-21-2015, 06:09 PM
He got caught up with getting a good (I suppose, don't know how good that player was) player over character and it bit him in the ass.

Saltydog
08-21-2015, 06:51 PM
nt

Pollodawg
08-21-2015, 07:00 PM
You look at what happened at Vandy and Penn State and what not and now this and when you contrast with how relatively clean our locker room has been since Dan got here, it really opens your eyes on what a good job Dan has done on being honest, forthright, and selecting guys with good character, and if you frick up, you will pay for it with Dan ask Justin Cox. What he did aint near what was this.

DancingRabbit
08-21-2015, 07:28 PM
The rapist got 6 months jail time plus probation.

That's confusing - the jury convicts him but recommends no jail time, just probation. Judge gives him 6 months.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-de-sam-ukwuachu-sentenced-to-180-days-in-jail--10-years-probation-222938095.html

AlmostPositive
08-21-2015, 07:39 PM
If Briles is lying about not hearing about the player's past, he should be fired on the spot and never work on a college campus again. No excuse for this sort of thing.

GreenheadDawg
08-21-2015, 07:47 PM
If Briles is lying about not hearing about the player's past, he should be fired on the spot and never work on a college campus again. No excuse for this sort of thing.

Agreed. He should be banned from college football. I can't wrap my head around protecting a rapist so he may help you win some football games

TUSK
08-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Wow, we haven't even played a game and can eliminate a team from the CFP....

sweet.

Really Clark?
08-21-2015, 08:33 PM
This is not the first incident with cover up or at least poor investigation with a football player and sexual assault. At this point it's not just Briles who should be under fire and forced out. I've always liked him from what he appeared and the job he has done at schools. But right now the appearance of a cover up and delay tactics to get him on the field added to there sorted past, I think the administration, athletic department, and head coach in this case may need to be flushed and started over. Not to mention local law enforcement and even possibly the DA keeping things under wraps to protect the program. And this young woman seemed to have handled this attack appropriately and immediately. And she is the one that had to transfer while he stayed in school and got his degree.

One of the biggest reasons I hope we keep Dan a long time is how our program seems to be run. Athletic department as a whole seems pretty firm and straight with the expectations of our student athletes.

confucius say
08-21-2015, 09:03 PM
The rapist got 6 months jail time plus probation.

That's confusing - the jury convicts him but recommends no jail time, just probation. Judge gives him 6 months.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-de-sam-ukwuachu-sentenced-to-180-days-in-jail--10-years-probation-222938095.html

Not positive, but think he was not charged with rape, rather some kind of second degree sexual assault. That's prob why the sentence was lighter than one would think. Prosecutor prob went after the lesser charge to ensure a conviction.

Ralph
08-21-2015, 09:13 PM
There's a special place reserved in hell for these mother ****ers

HSVDawg
08-21-2015, 09:21 PM
There is now a letter surfacing from the Boise AD required by the NCAA for all transfers stating he wasn't dismissed from Boise's team for any disciplinary reasons. That makes Briles look a little better. Not much, but a little. Still should probably be canned over this if the athletic department has any balls.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Hell, the girlfriend will probably marry the guy if he has an NFL future.................

State82
08-21-2015, 10:25 PM
There's a special place reserved in hell for these mother ****ers

To quote a late friend of mine, "They oughta be in hell with their backs broke."

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
08-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Hell, the girlfriend will probably marry the guy if he has an NFL future.................

Not that it makes your post any less ignorant but they were not dating.

War Machine Dawg
08-22-2015, 01:18 PM
This is not the first incident with cover up or at least poor investigation with a football player and sexual assault. At this point it's not just Briles who should be under fire and forced out. I've always liked him from what he appeared and the job he has done at schools. But right now the appearance of a cover up and delay tactics to get him on the field added to there sorted past, I think the administration, athletic department, and head coach in this case may need to be flushed and started over. Not to mention local law enforcement and even possibly the DA keeping things under wraps to protect the program. And this young woman seemed to have handled this attack appropriately and immediately. And she is the one that had to transfer while he stayed in school and got his degree.

One of the biggest reasons I hope we keep Dan a long time is how our program seems to be run. Athletic department as a whole seems pretty firm and straight with the expectations of our student athletes.

Uhhh....how did you get THAT out of the facts? It seemed pretty obvious to me that once a DA got hold of the case, that's when shit actually started happening. Having worked in a DA's office, I can attest that unless law enforcement informs you of an investigation, you probably won't know about it and there isn't much you can do regardless. Since Waco PD delayed the investigation, there was nothing for the DA's office to investigate or take to a grand jury. Once they had something, they did. Seems to me the ones covering it up were the Baylor athletic department and Waco PD, not the DA.

War Machine Dawg
08-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Not positive, but think he was not charged with rape, rather some kind of second degree sexual assault. That's prob why the sentence was lighter than one would think. Prosecutor prob went after the lesser charge to ensure a conviction.

That's exactly what he was charged with: Second degree sexual assault. The DA probably didn't believe he had enough evidence for an actual rape charge, especially considering all the delays in the case. Plus, other than a rape kit, rape cases tend to be a very "he said, she said" type of trial. The outcome usually hinges on who the jury finds more believable. And apparently maximum sentencing for second degree sexual assault is 20 years, so that isn't exactly what I'd call a lenient charge. I do question how you only walk away with a 6 month probation sentence after that, though. I would think at least a few months of jail would be in order. But we don't know exactly what was in the text messages, so they could be a factor in such a light sentence.

DancingRabbit
08-22-2015, 01:36 PM
That's exactly what he was charged with: Second degree sexual assault. The DA probably didn't believe he had enough evidence for an actual rape charge, especially considering all the delays in the case. Plus, other than a rape kit, rape cases tend to be a very "he said, she said" type of trial. The outcome usually hinges on who the jury finds more believable. And apparently maximum sentencing for second degree sexual assault is 20 years, so that isn't exactly what I'd call a lenient charge. I do question how you only walk away with a 6 month probation sentence after that, though. I would think at least a few months of jail would be in order. But we don't know exactly what was in the text messages, so they could be a factor in such a light sentence.

He got 6 months in jail and 10 years probation. I think at least 2 or 3 years jail time would have been more appropriate.