PDA

View Full Version : Let us all hope Dan is Dan again this year and many more years to come...

Ptolemy
08-21-2015, 12:16 PM
First of all, this isn't a thread to criticize anyone; it's not a rebuttal...

Let's just try a different spin, a positive one! Please read and chime in!

I like Dan; after years of waiting for him to leave for greener pastures I have changed my realization of his plan to one that seems to fit the circumstances better...I believe he thought long and hard before coming to MSU like many before him but came away with a different ideal. Spurrier thought Duke was an easier turnaround than MSU (anyone remember that? ...now that burned!) and yet I think Dan took our offer because it WAS the seemingly impossible turnaround that no one else wanted (for all of us Jackie fans, yes he was a "name" but MSU saved him from NCAA purgatory if you don't remember...).

Yes, he does have a large ego for all you "Northern Miss'ippi fans"! Yes, he does want to and expect to win championships! No, he is not delusional! Know what!? Here's my two cents worth...he will win and he doesn't want anyone to mistake who BUILT the program as well as who coached the team that won! He wants that big of a challenge! I think he knew he could win anywhere but riding coattails just ain't his gig!

Know what else!? I truly, really don't think he cares about recruiting rankings. I think he has an uncommon eye for the athletic potential in a young man that loves the game and he trusts his own instincts. I'll go so far as to tell you that I think there are quite a few five and four stars out there that he not only wouldn't make an offer to but wouldn't want on his team if they wanted to commit! Anyone notice lately that a lot of those three stars we used to "settle for" because the big boys didn't want'em are now being offered by the big boys on short notice after Dan offers'em! You think they haven't seen his eye for "football players"? I'm just fine for who he wants to recruit...I'm sure he's missing on some but I look at how I feel about the next two years with regard to my expectations for the kids he has on our team currently and I don't see a whole lot of high-school all Americans...I see a "loaded" college football team!

Let's celebrate our coach! Whatever he does is just fine by me! Just as I saw someone post somewhere not long ago, he may be a yankee...be he's our yankee!

Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2015, 12:54 PM

I like Dan; after years of waiting for him to leave for greener pastures I have changed my realization of his plan to one that seems to fit the circumstances better...I believe he thought long and hard before coming to MSU like many before him but came away with a different ideal. Spurrier thought Duke was an easier turnaround than MSU (anyone remember that? ...now that burned!) and yet I think Dan took our offer because it WAS the seemingly impossible turnaround that no one else wanted (for all of us Jackie fans, yes he was a "name" but MSU saved him from NCAA purgatory if you don't remember...).

Yes, he does have a large ego for all you "Northern Miss'ippi fans"! Yes, he does want to and expect to win championships! No, he is not delusional! Know what!? Here's my two cents worth...he will win and he doesn't want anyone to mistake who BUILT the program as well as who coached the team that won! He wants that big of a challenge! I think he knew he could win anywhere but riding coattails just ain't his gig!

Know what else!? I truly, really don't think he cares about recruiting rankings. I think he has an uncommon eye for the athletic potential in a young man that loves the game and he trusts his own instincts. I'll go so far as to tell you that I think there are quite a few five and four stars out there that he not only wouldn't make an offer to but wouldn't want on his team if they wanted to commit! Anyone notice lately that a lot of those three stars we used to "settle for" because the big boys didn't want'em are now being offered by the big boys on short notice after Dan offers'em! You think they haven't seen his eye for "football players"? I'm just fine for who he wants to recruit...I'm sure he's missing on some but I look at how I feel about the next two years with regard to my expectations for the kids he has on our team currently and I don't see a whole lot of high-school all Americans...I see a "loaded" college football team!

Let's celebrate our coach! Whatever he does is just fine by me! Just as I saw someone post somewhere not long ago, he may be a yankee...be he's our yankee!

Hail State!

OUTSTANDING!

Dental Dawg33
08-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Hail State!

Couldn't agree with you more

BorneDawg
08-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Well said Well said!

BulldogBear
08-21-2015, 03:00 PM
'oooorah

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2015, 03:07 PM
It is time for State to have a program-defining coach, that coach who is there for 20+ years who creates a culture and an ethic that lasts, and spawns a "coaching tree" of assistants at other schools. All of the Top Tier programs have had them Dooley, Neyland, Bryant, Jordan, etc. Even NMU has Vaught and his "Chattanooga counts as an SEC game" is program-defining albeit not Top Tier (except in their own minds).

I want to take my grandkids to games at Mullen Stadium at Scott Field.

TrapGame
08-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Excellent.

sleepy dawg
08-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Good post. I think the vast, VAST majority of us agree with you.

confucius say
08-21-2015, 04:28 PM
He has taken us from a program whose fan base was ecstatic to be 7-5 to a program whose floor is 6-6.

He has flaws (clock management), but still.

1bigdawg
08-21-2015, 04:35 PM
He has taken us from a program whose fan base was ecstatic to be 7-5 to a program whose floor is 6-6.

He has flaws (clock management), but still.

All coaches make some bad decisions and have flaws. Fans of other schools tend to overlook those flaws when your team is winning.

oldjoedawg
08-21-2015, 05:06 PM
A great assessment and one with which I fully agree......once the first couple of years went by, I then gladly accepted the fact that he and Megan were not going anywhere. We have the best over-all situation we have ever had in my lifetime and I am a 1962 grad....

DawgPoundtheRock
08-21-2015, 05:28 PM
When we put up a statue outside DWS, it will be of Dan Mullen.

Coach34
08-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Ive told people for 5 years now that Mullen is a "statue guy". He would leave if a blue-blood offered- but thats what it would take to get him out of Sville