PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA Commits - Season Opens!

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2015, 12:05 PM
For the 3rd year in a row, we have a commit from the great state of Georgia, which means I can again bring you "This Week in GA Commits". This year we have Christian Roberson from McEachern High School in Powder Springs, GA. The 3 star TE prospect will face some top notch competition this year. Since it can be hard to follow out-of-state guys, I'll keep up as best I can with a weekly game preview, in game stats if possible, and a recap from various media sources. This post will be a little longer than normal because I'll start with a bit about the McEachern program (and I don't have a blog site, so I will make you read it all). Enjoy...

The McEachern Indians of Powder Springs, Ga have a reputation as a strong program, with 28 playoff appearances and 15 region titles - 12 of which came between 1986-1999 under legendary Coach Jimmy Dorsey (now AD). Their last title was in 2012. Under Dorsey and current coach Kyle Hockman, McEachern puts a lot of players in the college ranks. They are consistently ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the season, and much like UGA, they always have some of the top talent. Also like UGA, they can never win the big game and have 0 State Titles to show for it. They have put two players in the NFL, most notably Adam Meadows long time OL for the Colts. McEachern is coming off a 10-4 season that ended in another playoff disappointment in semis against Colquitt County.

McEachern again starts the season off with promise ranked #2 in Class 6A by the AJC. They are loaded with D1 talent - QB Bailey Hockman (UGA), OL/DE Julian Rochester (UGA), RB Sam Jackson (GA Southern), DT Andrew Tarver (FIU), WR CJ Windham (MTSU) in addition to our own TE commit Christian Roberson. They start off with 4 tough non-region games against Tucker, 4A legend Buford, Peachtree Ridge and Lovejoy before a grueling Region 4-AAAAAA slate.

Full disclosure - if I sound negative at any point about McEachern, I am. They are one of the long time rivals with my alma mater Marietta, so I'll try to keep that from clouding my reports this fall. I've been talking smack with friends who went there - including my roommate my freshman year at State - for 30 years and it's a hard habit to break. I respect the program though. The good thing is, they aren't Sprayberry, I still hate those *******'s. But I digress...

This week, McEachern squares off against the Tucker Tigers in the Georgia Dome as a part of the Corky Kell Classic. Tucker has a great program history of their own. They haven't lost more than 3 games in a season since 1999, have 16 region titles - including last year - and State Titles in 4A '08 and '11. They have produced 8 NFL players, most notably former UGA stars Patrick Pass and Asher Allen. In 2014, they shut out 4 opponents. Last year, a 10-3 run ended in state qrt finals ? getting trounced by?.McEachern 62-36

Head coach Bryan Lamar returns for his fourth season to lead the Tigers. Although some of the top playmakers from last year?s team graduated, coach Lamar is confident that this group has what it takes to reach the teams' goal of winning a state championship. "I think we have a great group back," Lamar said. "The kids have been working extremely hard." The 2015 Tigers including returning quarterback Garrett Rigby (Harvard commit) and wide receivers Akeem Peters and Joshua Vann. Peters also led the defense in interceptions last season.

Should be a rocking game in the Dome. Kickoff is 8:45 eastern tonight.

Dawg61
08-21-2015, 12:40 PM
For the 3rd year in a row, we have a commit from the great state of Georgia, which means I can again bring you "This Week in GA Commits". This year we have Christian Roberson from McEachern High School in Powder Springs, GA. The 3 star TE prospect will face some top notch competition this year. Since it can be hard to follow out-of-state guys, I'll keep up as best I can with a weekly game preview, in game stats if possible, and a recap from various media sources. This post will be a little longer than normal because I'll start with a bit about the McEachern program (and I don't have a blog site, so I will make you read it all). Enjoy...

The McEachern Indians of Powder Springs, Ga have a reputation as a strong program, with 28 playoff appearances and 15 region titles - 12 of which came between 1986-1999 under legendary Coach Jimmy Dorsey (now AD). Their last title was in 2012. Under Dorsey and current coach Kyle Hockman, McEachern puts a lot of players in the college ranks. They are consistently ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the season, and much like UGA, they always have some of the top talent. Also like UGA, they can never win the big game and have 0 State Titles to show for it. They have put two players in the NFL, most notably Adam Meadows long time OL for the Colts. McEachern is coming off a 10-4 season that ended in another playoff disappointment in semis against Colquitt County.

McEachern again starts the season off with promise ranked #2 in Class 6A by the AJC. They are loaded with D1 talent - QB Bailey Hockman (UGA), OL/DE Julian Rochester (UGA), RB Sam Jackson (GA Southern), DT Andrew Tarver (FIU), WR CJ Windham (MTSU) in addition to our own TE commit Christian Roberson. They start off with 4 tough non-region games against Tucker, 4A legend Buford, Peachtree Ridge and Lovejoy before a grueling Region 4-AAAAAA slate.

Full disclosure - if I sound negative at any point about McEachern, I am. They are one of the long time rivals with my alma mater Marietta, so I'll try to keep that from clouding my reports this fall. I've been talking smack with friends who went there - including my roommate my freshman year at State - for 30 years and it's a hard habit to break. I respect the program though. The good thing is, they aren't Sprayberry, I still hate those *******'s. But I digress...

This week, McEachern squares off against the Tucker Tigers in the Georgia Dome as a part of the Corky Kell Classic. Tucker has a great program history of their own. They haven't lost more than 3 games in a season since 1999, have 16 region titles - including last year - and State Titles in 4A '08 and '11. They have produced 8 NFL players, most notably former UGA stars Patrick Pass and Asher Allen. In 2014, they shut out 4 opponents. Last year, a 10-3 run ended in state qrt finals ? getting trounced by?.McEachern 62-36

Head coach Bryan Lamar returns for his fourth season to lead the Tigers. Although some of the top playmakers from last year?s team graduated, coach Lamar is confident that this group has what it takes to reach the teams' goal of winning a state championship. "I think we have a great group back," Lamar said. "The kids have been working extremely hard." The 2015 Tigers including returning quarterback Garrett Rigby (Harvard commit) and wide receivers Akeem Peters and Joshua Vann. Peters also led the defense in interceptions last season.

Should be a rocking game in the Dome. Kickoff is 8:45 eastern tonight.

This week in GA commits is one of my favorite threads on here. Thanks BD

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2015, 02:53 PM
This week in GA commits is one of my favorite threads on here. Thanks BD
Thanks D61.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Damn! Just realized the game is tomorrow. I'll post stuff then.

Nicky Santoro
08-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Hey Brunswick - does your freshman roommate now live in SoCal?

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Hey Brunswick - does your freshman roommate now live in SoCal?
Nope - Virginia.

Percho
08-22-2015, 12:01 PM
You do a great job with this report. Thanks.

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Game finally gets started - McEachern scores early up 7-0 on a direct snap to UGA WR commit Tyler Simmons

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:03 PM
And just found out this game is on Fox SportSouth. The old SportSouth that used to have the Braves, not Fox Sports - South that now has the Braves.

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Just ran across that. Yep, it's on. Sweet.

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:07 PM
28 yard TD run for GA Southern commit Sam Jackson - 14-0 McEachern

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 09:11 PM
What number is Roberson wearing?

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:14 PM
What number is Roberson wearing?

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Everybody scores - 21-7 now

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Should have been illegal forward pass. Passes has to be completely beyond the los

chef dixon
08-22-2015, 09:31 PM
That little RB Jackson is really fast and shifty. Looks like he has an offer from us, he's headed to Georgia Southern.

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:40 PM
That little RB Jackson is really fast and shifty. Looks like he has an offer from us, he's headed to Georgia Southern.
Another TD for Jackson - 162 yards already. I would not mind if he changed his mind and came to State

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 09:40 PM

I was just wondering if we've offered him

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:41 PM
That was some shitastic special teams play by Tucker - catch the damn kickoff. McEachern has the ball after recovering on the Tucker 24

chef dixon
08-22-2015, 09:46 PM
His vision is extremely sophisticated for a high school player.

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Jackson again 34-7

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 10:00 PM
41-7 and it ain't even half time. I would guess we won't get to see much out of. Roberson tonight. The freshman will be playing in the second half...

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Second string in. Hope McEachern brought the 8th graders, because they can play in the 4th.

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 10:16 PM
I wish this game more interesting. All I've gotten to see CR do is block mainly!!

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Final was 50-14

I haven't watched McEachern in a long time, but thy sure didn't pass much. Marietta paper had a recap this morning (paywall or I'd post). Hockman was 6-12 for 104 before they yanked him. Apparently Tucker was missing half of their defensive starters due to injuries, and kept dropping 7-8 into coverage to try and make up for it. Talk about no confidence in your secondary. I would have run every play too if I saw that.

I don't think last night was a real representation of how to O runs. Tucker had no answers.

maroonmania
08-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Just wondering, whatever happened to the RB from GA (name escapes me) last year that decommitted from us? Never did hear where he ended up.

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Just wondering, whatever happened to the RB from GA (name escapes me) last year that decommitted from us? Never did hear where he ended up.
Kentavious Thomas. Committed to Marshall but ended up in Fullerton, CA in JUCO.

Have a feeling that shows why we backed off.