PDA

View Full Version : Fear the Walking Dead

DownwardDawg
08-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Y'all gonna watch? I'm in. I need something to hold me over.

War Machine Dawg
08-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Hell yeah. Going to be interesting to see how the virus/infection starts.

starkvegasdawg
08-21-2015, 06:17 AM
Going to give it every chance. This show has the chance to be incredible and to also be absolutely horrible. I hope it is incredible. I've been dying for the new season of TWD to start.

biscuit
08-21-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm gonna try it. Hope its good

BulldogBear
08-22-2015, 09:59 PM
It's the second most counted down to event in our household this summer. You can figure out the first.

BulldogBear
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Didn't learn anything in episode one really.

Not sure I buy that so many would be so freaked out by the accident victim being shot so many times before the headshot kills him. Think about it. Say it happened right over here on I-55 next week and you were seeing that video. Would you be thinking anything other than, wow, that guy must have been really doped up!?? I know Vietnam vets that talk about turning enemies hopped up on Opium into swiss cheese and them still coming before finally dropping.

Some authorities obviously know something is up. The doctors really wanted to get that old man to the morgue IMMEDIATELY. No waiting 20 minutes for an orderly to take the body down. And the nurse talking about how hectic it was with two deaths at the same time. This is different than if you thought there might be a panther down in the swamp. A zombie doesn't have a "lair" that it goes out and returns to. Even a handful of Walkers, even in a city the size of L.A. or San Diego, could NOT go unnoticed by the common man. It's different from an predator in the swamp. Its going to brutally kill dozens in a matter of days. You cannot brush it off. The only way EVERYONE would not know about is if they are rounded up and covered up almost immediately.

On the whole, not bad for an introductory episode, though for the first half I think the hordes of brooding teens was a bit overdone.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2015, 02:08 PM
I also thought it rather implausible that a heroin addict that just escaped from the hospital barely able to walk was able to overpower his drug dealer and shoot him. Not that this scene has any particular effect on the overall plot...just a minor detail my borderline OCD picked up on. I'm still going to watch it but I think what will interest me the most is seeing how they portray society breaking down into anarchy and wonder if that is how it would be should we ever be attacked with an EMP that sends us all back to the 1800's technology wise.

Johnson85
08-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Some authorities obviously know something is up. The doctors really wanted to get that old man to the morgue IMMEDIATELY. No waiting 20 minutes for an orderly to take the body down. And the nurse talking about how hectic it was with two deaths at the same time.

The way it is unfolding, they're making it look unlikely that Rick's group wouldn't have already known that anybody that died would become a zombie, not just those bitten. Right now, clearly the doctors know and all of the father, mother, and son from the main family should figure it out pretty quickly.

BulldogBear
08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
The way it is unfolding, they're making it look unlikely that Rick's group wouldn't have already known that anybody that died would become a zombie, not just those bitten. Right now, clearly the doctors know and all of the father, mother, and son from the main family should figure it out pretty quickly.

This is a good observation. Maybe they all die???? IDK. IOW maybe word never reaches the East Coast for some reason. IDK. This has me perplexed.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
The 2nd episode was great. This show has potential.

BulldogBear
09-01-2015, 06:10 PM
The 2nd episode was great. This show has potential.

I thought it was okay. I'm still in. I still want to know why nobody in Rick's group had ever seen a dead person re-animate without having been bitten.

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Anyone still watching? It's gotten interesting.

Johnson85
09-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Anyone still watching? It's gotten interesting.

I'm still watching but disappointed so far. Expected it to be slow to start with, but I was expecting some exploration of how things went to hell. They basically skipped over everything interesting. There were a few zombies, and then they're in a fortified camp. Nothing showing how cities or neighborhoods deteriorated. It does look like the storyline will start moving with the next episode, but it seems like they skipped over a lot of fertile ground for development. They could have done the season where each show represented basically one day and done an entire season probably on the first week or two of the apocolypse. Surprised they skipped several weeks ahead.

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm still watching but disappointed so far. Expected it to be slow to start with, but I was expecting some exploration of how things went to hell. They basically skipped over everything interesting. There were a few zombies, and then they're in a fortified camp. Nothing showing how cities or neighborhoods deteriorated. It does look like the storyline will start moving with the next episode, but it seems like they skipped over a lot of fertile ground for development. They could have done the season where each show represented basically one day and done an entire season probably on the first week or two of the apocolypse. Surprised they skipped several weeks ahead.

Yeah, I think they were severely hampered by a 6 show season. Had they extended it out to 10 episodes or so then they could have done it up a lot better. I'm still watching but but so far it is not in the same league as TWD. I can't wait for 10/11 to get here. Rumor is the season opener is supposed to start fast and then get even faster.

Johnson85
09-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I think they were severely hampered by a 6 show season. Had they extended it out to 10 episodes or so then they could have done it up a lot better. I'm still watching but but so far it is not in the same league as TWD. I can't wait for 10/11 to get here. Rumor is the season opener is supposed to start fast and then get even faster.

I didn't realize it was only 6 shows. That seems like a terrible idea for what they claimed they were trying to do. Just not enough screen time at all. You'd think with the goodwill TWD has built up, they'd have been more ambitious. With only 6 episodes, they really tried to bring in too many characters. Should have focused on one small family and, had one episode of background showing that something funny was happening, and then had five episodes covering a short time period where everything went to shit quickly, dealing with the unknowns and uncertainty and showing how that family reacted to the world falling apart. If that was successful, they could have gone back and broadened the show in season two by covering the same time frame with new characters either by just replaying the same time period or using flashbacks as characters were introduced.

Just seems like they wasted a golden opportunity and completely failed what they claimed they were trying to do. They needed 12 episodes to start the way they started, and they probably needed another 4 or six before the army rolled in.

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
I didn't realize it was only 6 shows. That seems like a terrible idea for what they claimed they were trying to do. Just not enough screen time at all. You'd think with the goodwill TWD has built up, they'd have been more ambitious. With only 6 episodes, they really tried to bring in too many characters. Should have focused on one small family and, had one episode of background showing that something funny was happening, and then had five episodes covering a short time period where everything went to shit quickly, dealing with the unknowns and uncertainty and showing how that family reacted to the world falling apart. If that was successful, they could have gone back and broadened the show in season two by covering the same time frame with new characters either by just replaying the same time period or using flashbacks as characters were introduced.

Just seems like they wasted a golden opportunity and completely failed what they claimed they were trying to do. They needed 12 episodes to start the way they started, and they probably needed another 4 or six before the army rolled in.

Yep. 6 episodes. It ends next week when TWD premieres.

Johnson85
09-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Yep. 6 episodes. It ends next week when TWD premieres.

With five of six episodes on the books, I'm ready to call Fear TWD a huge disappointment. So much fertile ground to explore regarding how normal people react when everything goes bad, and they focus on ridiculous characters. They didn't need somebody that just happened to ahve been a torturer from a foreign country. The black guy in the detention center driving one guy crazy and then negotiating for the addict was a ridiculous character. The military guy was a ridiculous character.

It still has a chance to be entertaining, but it pretty much is just another TWD. They didn't do anything they claimed they wanted to do. The only thing that's different is that they wasted 4 straight episodes doing terrible character development rather than mixing in character development episodes throughout the season.

starkvegasdawg
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I haven't been very impressed. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the one and only season. I would have really liked to have seen them really delve into the breakdown of society and not have most of the season with two families in a detention camp. Now we all know next week is going to be them escaping on the desert before the military executes them. Although, based on that one scene I expect a lot of the rank and file military will turn on their superiors and not do the execution. Finale has about as much suspense as a fart after Taco Bell.

Johnson85
09-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I haven't been very impressed. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the one and only season. I would have really liked to have seen them really delve into the breakdown of society and not have most of the season with two families in a detention camp. Now we all know next week is going to be them escaping on the desert before the military executes them. Although, based on that one scene I expect a lot of the rank and file military will turn on their superiors and not do the execution. Finale has about as much suspense as a fart after Taco Bell.

Just depends on whether they want a second TWD. On one hand, I could see the argument of why not just extend the season for TWD. Let Kirkman and whoever focus there, only have one cast of actors to deal with, one set, etc. On the other hand, Fear TWD does let them re-plow ground they've already covered, so maybe it makes it easier on the writers compared to extending TWD seasons.

Just really disappointing all around. If I didn't think this would be their only chance at a spinoff, I'd say pull the plug on this one and try again. But since the options are most likely extend Fear TWD or don't, and either way they go TWD won't be impacted (no extended season for example), I guess I'd prefer they extend it so at least there's some TWD related stuff on in August and September.

starkvegasdawg
10-05-2015, 07:32 AM
That was painful to watch. I wanted to get into it so very badly, but just really couldn't. I know they're planning for a second season, but I have my doubts it comes to fruition. I guess it did what it was supposed to and that was get us through the last few weeks of summer before the real show kicks off. T minus 6 days and counting. The previews for the season premiere of TWD is looking incredible. This will be the longest week.

BulldogBear
10-06-2015, 10:19 AM
That was painful to watch. I wanted to get into it so very badly, but just really couldn't. I know they're planning for a second season, but I have my doubts it comes to fruition. I guess it did what it was supposed to and that was get us through the last few weeks of summer before the real show kicks off. T minus 6 days and counting. The previews for the season premiere of TWD is looking incredible. This will be the longest week.
Yeah. Meh. That's about it. I will say I didn't see the Jacht coming. So, I'm wondering if they're going to go all over the world and end up tying in with Rick and 'em at some point.

This season seems to have been little more than character development and set up. I'm okay with that if the rest of it gets more interesting. I'm not one that minds a thorough setup. We really haven't learned much about the state of things though. Just snippets.

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Yeah. Meh. That's about it. I will say I didn't see the Jacht coming. So, I'm wondering if they're going to go all over the world and end up tying in with Rick and 'em at some point.

This season seems to have been little more than character development and set up. I'm okay with that if the rest of it gets more interesting. I'm not one that minds a thorough setup. We really haven't learned much about the state of things though. Just snippets.

My biggest disappointment was with them not showing the fall of civilized society more. They went from it just starting to the main characters locked in an army perimeter. I would have really liked to have seen them explain why it took so long to be able to pin point the walkers had to receive a severe brain trauma to die and how they lost control on a global scale. I had always thought that in the early stages they would have figured that out and been able to kill the ones that had already formed and take the necessary steps to prevent future people from turning. They just skimmed over all of that.

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Just watched all 6 episodes over 3 days. My wife and I 's biggest complaint is none of the characters are likable. We didn't find ourselves rooting for anyone to survive. I will watch it next year but it will definitely be on the back burner. It seemed like it might have been better if it was a 10 episode season. It seemed slow until the last episode then it basically ended.

Political Hack
10-06-2015, 01:10 PM
the characters blow, the story skipped the chaos of society crumbling, and the end of the season climax was pretty anti-climatic. There should have been news clips and radio clips throughout while things were unraveling to explain how it was spreading, video of other areas under attack, what the warnings were from the government, Presidential address, a preview of DC as a teaser for TWD, etc... they could have done so much.

that said, it's watchable and I'll continue to watch it during the offseason of TWD, but it's not even close.

dawgs
10-06-2015, 05:53 PM
what they really should do is use world war z (the book) as a template and create anthology runs each offseason. some could be a full 8-10 episodes, and some could be 1-3 episodes. whatever it took to tell the story. and that be the extent of the character's story.

i agree that i would have enjoyed seeing more of a POV on what went into the high level decision making.

wasn't the army supposed to be bombing LA at 9 am the morning of the finale?

Johnson85
10-08-2015, 08:15 AM
the characters blow, the story skipped the chaos of society crumbling, and the end of the season climax was pretty anti-climatic. There should have been news clips and radio clips throughout while things were unraveling to explain how it was spreading, video of other areas under attack, what the warnings were from the government, Presidential address, a preview of DC as a teaser for TWD, etc... they could have done so much.

that said, it's watchable and I'll continue to watch it during the offseason of TWD, but it's not even close.

You pretty much nailed it. It is (or at least the final episode when it finally got moving is) plenty entertaining. They didn't do any of the things they claimed they were going to do. They just spent 5 episodes of relatively boring character development just to skip over what they said they were going to explore and jump right into another TWD. I'm fine with that, but they could have gotten here in two episodes if all they wanted to do was have another TWD.

It almost felt like the entire plan changed halfway through the season. It's like they wrote two or three episodes with the expectation that they were really going to explore how society would break down over a couple or more six episode seasons, and then execs told them to scrap what they were doing, and just use these six episodes to set up another TWD for next season.

Johnson85
10-08-2015, 08:19 AM
what they really should do is use world war z (the book) as a template and create anthology runs each offseason.

I've thought about this too. Not familiar with the wolrd war z book, but they botched this one so badly, it'd be nice for them to basically start from scratch again next season and show different people and everytime they show different people, give a little more insight into how society broke down. One view from people in LA. One view from DC, one from military, one from rural area, some from other countries, maybe one from a small island (which would add the twist of the possibility of conquering the dead on an island), etc. Some seasons could show people/areas that made it, some people/areas that didn't. Maybe even have a season devoted to people that made it to a boat and just show them trying to make shore runs for supplies and look for protected areas.

Political Hack
10-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I've thought about this too. Not familiar with the wolrd war z book, but they botched this one so badly, it'd be nice for them to basically start from scratch again next season and show different people and everytime they show different people, give a little more insight into how society broke down. One view from people in LA. One view from DC, one from military, one from rural area, some from other countries, maybe one from a small island (which would add the twist of the possibility of conquering the dead on an island), etc. Some seasons could show people/areas that made it, some people/areas that didn't. Maybe even have a season devoted to people that made it to a boat and just show them trying to make shore runs for supplies and look for protected areas.

That would be really cool.

jumbo
10-09-2015, 11:06 AM

each chapter in the book is the author interviewing a different person and getting their account of what went down broken down by pre ZA, ZA & post ZA.

DownwardDawg
04-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Bump

DownwardDawg
04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Terrible so far tonight.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Yeah, that was about like watching paint dry underwater. Amazing how bad they are making this show. That at the end about whoever was shooting up that boat had about as much suspense as the end of a Disney movie. I'm going to give it every chance this season just to try and feed my addiction but, wow, this is just shaping up to be worse than not watching anything.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I just don't like any of the people. The guy that owns the boat is pretty much the only person that is interesting.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2016, 01:57 PM
I just don't like any of the people. The guy that owns the boat is pretty much the only person that is interesting.

That, too.

BoomBoom
04-11-2016, 07:34 PM

i've been referring to him as the only guy who wouldn't say "Let's go hide behind the chainsaws!"

Tbonewannabe
04-12-2016, 01:50 PM
i've been referring to him as the only guy who wouldn't say "Let's go hide behind the chainsaws!"

Exactly. That dumb ass girl is going to get some people killed. If I wasn't hoping that her and the latina started scissoring, I would hope she gets eaten (in a bad way or good way whichever).

starkvegasdawg
04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Time to suffer through another episode.

Johnson85
04-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Time to suffer through another episode.

You nailed it. So far, watching Fear the Walking Dead has basically been an investment hoping that it would eventually turn into something good. There were certainly parts of the first couple of seasons of TWD that were like that, and the reality is that neither show would have made it without the built in, dedicated fans from the comics. I was thinking Fear the Walking Dead would be a chance to fix all the things the messed up early on with TWD (particularly the unlikable characters, since TWD has killed off or evolved their most hated characters or just reduced their screen time), but of course they apparently didn't think there was anything to fix with TWD, which I guess I can't blame them since it became a hit. It makes sense that they would try to basically repeat it with new characters.

Jack Lambert
04-18-2016, 01:38 PM
My biggest disappointment was with them not showing the fall of civilized society more. They went from it just starting to the main characters locked in an army perimeter. I would have really liked to have seen them explain why it took so long to be able to pin point the walkers had to receive a severe brain trauma to die and how they lost control on a global scale. I had always thought that in the early stages they would have figured that out and been able to kill the ones that had already formed and take the necessary steps to prevent future people from turning. They just skimmed over all of that.

With out a comic book we are kind of guessing. According to the park ranger all of the western state west of the continental divide have been bombed or burned. We know that the eastern half has not based on the TV series and comic book.

Two things I need to see in the next two weeks is more character development and explaining more. This season has 15 episodes and I heard that they have already approved an third season.

starkvegasdawg
04-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I was wondering how many shows this season would have. I wonder if they'll do a mid season break, too, or just run 16 straight. I still think they botched what could have been an incredible show. They had a gold mine to really play up the start of this outbreak but seemed to have just skimmed over it by having the first season play out in an army quarantine area. I'm still pissed about that. And now it appears at least a sizable chunk of the second season is going to play out on a boat. Do the show creators have something against a large set? Right now the highest drama point is who shot up another boat. Hardly the same build up as the Saviors or the Governor. I keep thinking that Rick's group would have run roughshod over everybody in this show in about 45 seconds and be back at Alexandria kicked back with a margarita. I know it's not fair to compare the two, but they had to expect it.

msstate7
04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
I was wondering how many shows this season would have. I wonder if they'll do a mid season break, too, or just run 16 straight. I still think they botched what could have been an incredible show. They had a gold mine to really play up the start of this outbreak but seemed to have just skimmed over it by having the first season play out in an army quarantine area. I'm still pissed about that. And now it appears at least a sizable chunk of the second season is going to play out on a boat. Do the show creators have something against a large set? Right now the highest drama point is who shot up another boat. Hardly the same build up as the Saviors or the Governor. I keep thinking that Rick's group would have run roughshod over everybody in this show in about 45 seconds and be back at Alexandria kicked back with a margarita. I know it's not fair to compare the two, but they had to expect it.

To be fair, rick's group was nothing like they are now back then except Shane.

Jack Lambert
04-19-2016, 12:44 PM
To be fair, rick's group was nothing like they are now back then except Shane.

I am not good with the name yet but I think they will become bad asses. Especially the son of the fathers. He looked like he enjoyed cracking some skulls with that pick. I think the mom will end up being the Alpha.

Tbonewannabe
04-20-2016, 03:58 PM
I haven't watched this week but I am just waiting on the chicks to start lezzing out and scissoring.

msstate7
04-24-2016, 08:38 PM
This show is really bad

Jack Lambert
04-25-2016, 08:55 AM
This show is really bad

Why is the boat always traveling north? I was a scout observer in the Marine Corp so my land navigation is pretty good however on water it is different but every time you see the boat the land is on the right side and the sun is on the left side. If the boat was traveling south as in the show it should be opposite.

starkvegasdawg
04-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Why is the boat always traveling north? I was a scout observer in the Marine Corp so my land navigation is pretty good however on water it is different but every time you see the boat the land is on the right side and the sun is on the left side. If the boat was traveling south as in the show it should be opposite.

Just like the plot of the show...something else the creators screwed up royally.

Jack Lambert
05-01-2016, 09:04 PM
The group is starting to jell and starting to work together and becoming force to recon with, kind of like Ricks Group.

msstate7
05-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Apparently the zombie virus doesn't affect gay people.

I thought the show was better tonight... Still needs to pick it up

starkvegasdawg
05-02-2016, 11:55 AM
It was slightly better. I saw only three more episodes this season so still very small seasons. I was hoping it would carry until closer to the premiere of Walking Dead. Oh well.

Johnson85
05-06-2016, 05:49 PM
It was slightly better. I saw only three more episodes this season so still very small seasons. I was hoping it would carry until closer to the premiere of Walking Dead. Oh well.

They 17ed this show up so badly it's ridiculous. If they were just going to do the walking dead with different characters, they didn't need to take a season and a half to get to any action. And they didn't need to have 75% of the characters people that you want to die. They could have had likeable main characters and introduced red shirts as needed. Basically the barber and strand and Strand's new colleague are the only interesting characters and the only characters I'm not hoping get killed quickly are the father and mother and Sophia, and Sophia only brings looks to the table. I'll never understand why they skipped over the outbreak itself. Seems like that was tons of material that would practically write itself.

Johnson85
05-06-2016, 05:51 PM
The group is starting to jell and starting to work together and becoming force to recon with, kind of like Ricks Group.

I can't buy in to anybody in this group being able to accomplish anything other than Strand, the barber/torturer, and his colleague. They're facing off against people that have apparently had it rough enough that they've already been turned into sadistic killers, while this group has pretty much either been sheltered by the military or by Strand's house, or by Strand's boat. And suddenly this group is tough? Just disappointing all together.

msstate7
05-08-2016, 09:01 PM
That was a lame hostage exchange. So neither side had a gun?

Jack Lambert
05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
That was a lame hostage exchange. So neither side had a gun?

She had a gun. I remember her putting in the back pocket and her husband fights like a sissy. Seems like she is always having to kick someone off of him.

msstate7
05-09-2016, 11:23 AM
She had a gun. I remember her putting in the back pocket and her husband fights like a sissy. Seems like she is always having to kick someone off of him.

Yeah, I meant the other group. It was way too easy to escape

DownwardDawg
05-17-2016, 07:08 AM
It's much better now. The past couple episodes have gotten better.

starkvegasdawg
05-17-2016, 07:29 AM
They have gotten better. Maybe the show has some hope after all.

One thing others me still, though. They're maybe two weeks into the apocalypse and there are already groups formed like what Connor formed that are well established with individual roles and processes laid out. No way society would have been that way that quickly. Right now most would still be in denial of what is really going on and trying to live life as normal as possible. They would not be out roaming the high seas as pirates already.

Johnson85
05-17-2016, 08:36 AM
One thing others me still, though. They're maybe two weeks into the apocalypse and there are already groups formed like what Connor formed that are well established with individual roles and processes laid out. No way society would have been that way that quickly. Right now most would still be in denial of what is really going on and trying to live life as normal as possible. They would not be out roaming the high seas as pirates already.

No, it's well past two weeks into the apocalypse. I'm not sure if they ever gave any actual frame of reference, but the shows with them in the fenced in neighborhood made it seem like the army had them there for at least a few weeks. They made it seem like they had been in a boring routine with the army, which to me seemed to indicate that a few months had passed in the neighborhood, but at least a few weeks. So they're at least a couple of months in, maybe closer to a year. There's also some ambiguity regarding how long they were at the house on the beach. THey were there at the end of one season and it was hunky dory, and to start the next season, they were being chased off the beach by walkers. So they could have been at the house for a couple of weeks easy.

OF course now that I think about it, it raises the question of how the Abigail survived. The zombie apocalypse is so bad that the army drops bombs on LA, and nobody swam or boated out to the 40M yacht that was visible from shore?

They really just didn't put any time into this show. Sucks how bad they wasted this opportunity.

You're right that it still doesn't match up though. It's been bad enough long enough that Conner's group has already become psychopaths, but there are still people running around in center consoles and small cruisers