PDA

View Full Version : Do great receivers make an ok quaterback great?

7dawg
08-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Or do great quaterbacks make ok receivers great?

Who did Moulds make great? He did give Taite a passing record at the time I do believe, but didn't make him great or even good.

Did Montana make Rice and Taylor great or the other way around?

With all the new QB's in the SEC this year, which scenario will prevail?

mic
08-20-2015, 05:19 PM

Who did Moulds make great? He did give Taite a passing record at the time I do believe, but didn't make him great or even good.

It won't happen in Oxford..

smootness
08-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Great QBs can make WRs seem much better than they are. Great WRs usually do not do the same for QBs.

But when you pair a great QB with a great WR, everybody's level goes through the roof.

Look what Brady did for the revolving door of average WRs they've had...and then look what happened when Randy Moss showed up.

SheltonChoked
08-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Andre Johnson say " you need a good QB".

archdog
08-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Also look at LSU 2 years ago. Two 1st round WR and a 3rd round qb. That is what it took to beat us last time we played them in Davis Wade.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2015, 05:40 PM
I believe Tim Brown, AJ Green, and Larry Fitzgerald also said this.

Todd4State
08-20-2015, 06:06 PM

Everyone is an extension to themselves. A QB needs a good o-line, good WR's and a good running game. A RB is better with a good o-line and a good passing game to keep defenses from loading the box. Good WR's need a good QB to get the ball to them, an o-line that can give the QB time to get the ball to them, and a good running game that can help take the focus off of the WR's so that it will be easier from the WR's to make plays. A good o-line with poor skill players won't be maximized.

Montana won two Super Bowls without Rice and Taylor. But they all helped each other.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-20-2015, 06:50 PM
The SEC qb's that we will face this year appear to be a mixed bag. I am too lazy to look up names or stats, but this is what I see:

Alabama-A 2, 3 or 4 player race. Will end up with a game manager. May be all they need.
Arkansas-Another game manager. Fear the running game not the passing game.
Auburn-Is this the second coming of Cam. If the pundits are correct, this guy could be the difference and AU may end up as SEC champs.
Kentucky-I have no idea.
LSU-Can Fournette play qb. Otherwise I see them as one dimensional.
Mizzou-All the potential in the world who is a game manager.
UNM-MGK may be a train wreck waiting to happen, but he may be a talented qb with a good receiving corps.

Just my opinion. What do y'all think.

JDog13
08-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Ask the New York Giants. They won 2 super bowls with that setup.

thf24
08-20-2015, 07:45 PM
A great WR gives any QB easier throws and a larger margin of error. The QB still needs to be good enough to both find the WR and get the ball in his general vicinity consistently. Also a great WR can bail a QB out of some bad throws situationally, but can't do it every time if said QB is making a ton of bad throws.

sandwolf
08-20-2015, 07:56 PM
A great WR gives any QB easier throws and a larger margin of error. The QB still needs to be good enough to both find the WR and get the ball in his general vicinity consistently. Also a great WR can bail a QB out of some bad throws situationally, but can't do it every time if said QB is making a ton of bad throws.

This.

Billy Ray Valentine
08-20-2015, 08:58 PM
A great WR can make an average QB good, unless said WR sleeps with said QB's girlfriend. In that case said QB goes back to being average.

bulldawg28
08-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Great QBs can make WRs seem much better than they are. Great WRs usually do not do the same for QBs.

But when you pair a great QB with a great WR, everybody's level goes through the roof.

Look what Brady did for the revolving door of average WRs they've had...and then look what happened when Randy Moss showed up.

This

TUSK
08-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Blake Sims approves this thread.

War Machine Dawg
08-20-2015, 09:56 PM
A great WR can make an average QB good, unless said WR sleeps with said QB's girlfriend. In that case said QB goes back to being average.

I'm surprised so few have caught this. Well played.

TUSK
08-20-2015, 10:02 PM

So, who, if anyone, was "taking one for the team"?

DancingRabbit
08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
The SEC qb's that we will face this year appear to be a mixed bag. I am too lazy to look up names or stats, but this is what I see:

Alabama-A 2, 3 or 4 player race. Will end up with a game manager. May be all they need.
Arkansas-Another game manager. Fear the running game not the passing game.
Auburn-Is this the second coming of Cam. If the pundits are correct, this guy could be the difference and AU may end up as SEC champs.
Kentucky-I have no idea.
LSU-Can Fournette play qb. Otherwise I see them as one dimensional.
Mizzou-All the potential in the world who is a game manager.
UNM-MGK may be a train wreck waiting to happen, but he may be a talented qb with a good receiving corps.

Just my opinion. What do y'all think.

Jeremy Johnson may be really good, but he is nothing like Cam. During his magical 1st half against Arkansas last year he had zero rushing attempts. For 2014 he had a total of -7 yards on 4 rushing attempts. Both Cam and Nick Marshall had their Johnny Football moments when they would kill you with their scrambling ability as well as designed run plays.

Johnson looked pretty good throwing the ball but everything was going his way. He was getting great protection, Arkansas' coverage was pathetic and the bulk of his yards were made by his receivers after the catch. He looked fine on short and medium throws. He had 2 completions on throws of about 20 yards. All his other completions were on throws of 10 yards or less. His only 2 deep throws weren't close.

Gus is a smart coach so he may be just as good with a passing QB. We'll see.

dawgs
08-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Great WRs can only improve a QBs ceiling so much. But a great QB can put a good WRs ceiling through the roof. Think of how many NFL WRs had a few great years with a great QB, signed a big contract with a team with an average or worse QB and saw their numbers drop big time immediately. Meanwhile the great QBs they left behind continue to be great with a new set of WRs. Has happened with Rodgers, manning, Brady, brees, and roethlisberger. In abother year or 2 you'll see it happening with luck too.

Bully13
08-20-2015, 10:56 PM

depends on the situation. I'm no football expert but I do remember trying to tell people that danny Wuerffel would never make a starting QB in the NFL and that Peyton Manning would. anybody with a lick of football sense could watch them during their college careers and see that but all I would ever hear is "natty this and no natty that" , passing stats, head to head games of UF vs UT and what have you. danny's a good guy but he had world class receivers and a coach who could smell a defense's weak spot 10 miles away. lots of college QB'S with great stats and lots of wins never make it in the NFL.

dawgs
08-21-2015, 12:34 AM
I'm
depends on the situation. I'm no football expert but I do remember trying to tell people that danny Wuerffel would never make a starting QB in the NFL and that Peyton Manning would. anybody with a lick of football sense could watch them during their college careers and see that but all I would ever hear is "natty this and no natty that" , passing stats, head to head games of UF vs UT and what have you. danny's a good guy but he had world class receivers and a coach who could smell a defense's weak spot 10 miles away. lots of college QB'S with great stats and lots of wins never make it in the NFL.

I call bullshit on anyone thinking wuerffel was a better NFL prospect that Peyton.

Also, wuerffel was a great COLLEGE QB. But in college you have a wider margin of error to be a great QB, and a wider variety of systems/coaching styles play a bigger role in college, and then factor in larger talent disparity between top tier teams and bottom feeders (whereas in the NFL the talent gap is pretty narrow across the board, and marginal NFL prospects can be great in college, but not in the NFL.

Coach34
08-21-2015, 08:10 AM
I'd like to thank 7dawg for a great thread idea as we await kickoff

ConkyMSU
08-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Great WRs can only improve a QBs ceiling so much. But a great QB can put a good WRs ceiling through the roof. Think of how many NFL WRs had a few great years with a great QB, signed a big contract with a team with an average or worse QB and saw their numbers drop big time immediately. Meanwhile the great QBs they left behind continue to be great with a new set of WRs. Has happened with Rodgers, manning, Brady, brees, and roethlisberger. In abother year or 2 you'll see it happening with luck too.

Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker come to mind.

Bama_Dawg
08-21-2015, 09:30 AM
I think Willie Totten will tell you that a great WR can make a QB really, really good. Jerry Rice didn't get as much publicity as Totten in college, but as soon as Jerry got the NFL and Willie got to the CFL, you could see where the big talent was.

Point is, yes the QB has to get the ball in the area of the receiver, but then someone has to catch it and do something with it. If its not caught, no matter how great a throw it was, its still incomplete.