PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Game Rewatch

archdog
08-20-2015, 12:01 PM
I remember watching it live and in person that Arkansas was scrappy and took what we gave them. After rewatching the game, it looked like our gameplan was terrible on offense. We turned the ball over unforced in the first half. Played with terrible field possession most of the game. It may have been one of our worst overall offensive game. May be the hangover from Kentucky and being #1.

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Without Matt Wells we don't win that game.

Irondawg
08-20-2015, 01:05 PM
That and the Egg Bowl offensively were tough to watch. At least our defense showed up agains ARK

archdog
08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Redmond and Tavesse sp were on point in that game.

5 Star
08-20-2015, 03:50 PM
I remember watching it live and in person that Arkansas was scrappy and took what we gave them. After rewatching the game, it looked like our gameplan was terrible on offense. We turned the ball over unforced in the first half. Played with terrible field possession most of the game. It may have been one of our worst overall offensive game. May be the hangover from Kentucky and being #1.
Scheme was not the problem in the Arkansas game. In was one of those typical late-mid season games and we were FLAT. We were not ready to play that game, and all good teams have a game or two like that every year. So don't go blaming Mullen.

Whenever we had a real sense of urgency, we got it done. Example - after they went up 10-0, we drove straight down the field effortlessly and punched it in. In the end, our athleticism had to win out, like it does with every other team in that situation.

Prediction? Pain.
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM
I haven't watched that game in months. Actually, I'm not sure I've re-watched it this year. So I can't really comment on the game plan. Regardless, remember that Arkansas' defense wasn't a slouch last year, and that by that time in the season, it was starting to find its groove. Arkansas finished the year ranked 2nd in SEC in total defense, rushing defense, and red-zone defense, 3rd in passes defended, and 4th in scoring defense. Even though we only scored 17 points, the fact that we gained 459 yards against them (their season average was to allow only only 323) was actually impressive. That was the third-most yards they allowed all season. As a comparison, Alabama gained 227 yards against them. LSU and Texas? 123 and 59. Yup -- 59 total yards for the Longhorns. Yikes.

LC Dawg
08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Without Matt Wells we don't win that game.

He had a great game. Running Collins down on that long run was impressive.

Todd4State
08-20-2015, 06:09 PM
I don't think it was so much that the game plan was bad as much as it was we had some critical penalties that killed some drives and we had some turnovers. Plus, Arkansas has an offense that eats up clock which limits the other teams touches if all goes well for them.

Pollodawg
08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
In the first half alone, Dak had two horrible INTs and Smokey muffed a punt that rolled down inside the red zone. Then the second half, the ball went over on downs. That's four turnovers we had and we still won that game. Handed them the only TD they scored all night gift wrapped. That shows how much we've grown as a program.

archdog
08-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, my original post was misleading because I didn't mention any of the positives.
1. We fought from behing when we were turning the ball over on their side of the field twice in the 1st half. Team play was huge.
2. Even though we had terrible holding calls, false starts, etc at bad times, we still moved the ball on their top ranked defense.
3. Fred Ross started looking good in that game. Derunnya gets most of the praise from the media, but I think the Freds and Gabe Myles will make huge strides this yea . Ross may be our best pure receiver. I wish we would watch how Bama set up for Cooper last year and just tell Ross to make it happen Captain. Myles moves like Harvin with the ball. His 2nd year as a receiver will show out. Calling it now.
4. Tavese, Redmond, Chris Jones, B Brown and Cheetah had hell of a game. Chris Jones just shut them down on one drive. BBrown made a hell of a stop on 4th down.

Crowd sounded rowdy too.

Thinking back to the negatives I stated at the top about the game plan, most of it had to do with the health of Dak in that game. Looked like he had a cast made out of ankle tape on his left leg, people had to help him up off the ground, and we had terrible field possession, untimely penalties, and dropped passes early on. So we tried not to run Dak to protect him. Offense looked extremely sluggish because of that. When he started running, even hurt, we started rolling.

#hailstate

Pollodawg
08-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Yeah, my original post was misleading because I didn't mention any of the positives.
1. We fought from behing when we were turning the ball over on their side of the field twice in the 1st half. Team play was huge.
2. Even though we had terrible holding calls, false starts, etc at bad times, we still moved the ball on their top ranked defense.
3. Fred Ross started looking good in that game. Derunnya gets most of the praise from the media, but I think the Freds and Gabe Myles will make huge strides this yea . Ross may be our best pure receiver. I wish we would watch how Bama set up for Cooper last year and just tell Ross to make it happen Captain. Myles moves like Harvin with the ball. His 2nd year as a receiver will show out. Calling it now.
4. Tavese, Redmond, Chris Jones, B Brown and Cheetah had hell of a game. Chris Jones just shut them down on one drive. BBrown made a hell of a stop on 4th down.

Crowd sounded rowdy too.

Thinking back to the negatives I stated at the top about the game plan, most of it had to do with the health of Dak in that game. Looked like he had a cast made out of ankle tape on his left leg, people had to help him up off the ground, and we had terrible field possession, untimely penalties, and dropped passes early on. So we tried not to run Dak to protect him. Offense looked extremely sluggish because of that. When he started running, even hurt, we started rolling.

#hailstate

But you're right. We looked awful the first half. Dak was maybe 60% that night. He was off until he had to be on, and he did what he had to......like a champion always does.

BoomBoom
08-20-2015, 07:43 PM

I don't tend to notice calls on re-watches, something about knowing the outcome makes it irrelevant. but that 40 yd bomb they had on 4th down had one of the worst non-calls i've ever seen, CJ straight up tackled by Skipper because he was plain beat. i got mad all over again seeing that.

thf24
08-20-2015, 07:50 PM
I don't tend to notice calls on re-watches, something about knowing the outcome makes it irrelevant. but that 40 yd bomb they had on 4th down had one of the worst non-calls i've ever seen, CJ straight up tackled by Skipper because he was plain beat. i got mad all over again seeing that.

Big 10-4 on that. Game should have been over right there.

eta: Or at least made them re-do at 4th and 25.

Todd4State
08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
In the first half alone, Dak had two horrible INTs and Smokey muffed a punt that rolled down inside the red zone. Then the second half, the ball went over on downs. That's four turnovers we had and we still won that game. Handed them the only TD they scored all night gift wrapped. That shows how much we've grown as a program.

Special teams killing us? Shocking.

Todd4State
08-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Crowd sounded rowdy too.

#hailstate

Myles is not even in Harvin's stratosphere.

PassInterference
08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Arkansas was pretty good down the stretch. After playing us, they shutout LSU and Mississippi. They lost a close game to Missouri.

We played a little flat against a good team and still won when my boi made a play. That's what good teams do.

It's used to be so State to be on the other sideline of that game. Play 'em good, play 'em close, but the higher ranked team slipped by. Next year.

I like our sideline a lot better.