PDA

View Full Version : Staley looks to be cleared for live practice

state66
08-18-2015, 09:55 PM
@ES14_: First time since December I got to get back on the field in a team situation with full pads on ! #DAB

I truly look forward to the QB battle between him and Fitz.

msstate7
08-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Love fitz, but don't think we've heard the last of staley

klong-dog
08-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Nah, don't think he'll ever beat out Fitz or even Tiano for that matter. Think he'll eventually move to WR or TE. Just see him being too slow, in footwork & arm delivery. We'll see though.

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Fitz is our QB of the future. Not Staley. Don't get me wrong, Staley is a freak of nature but Fitz is just as good and has all the intangibles. Dak has always been compared to Tebow but in the coming years you will see that Fitz is a much better comparison to Tebow than anybody ever has been.

Dallas_Dawg
08-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Fitz is our QB of the future. Not Staley. Don't get me wrong, Staley is a freak of nature but Fitz is just as good and has all the intangibles. Dak has always been compared to Tebow but in the coming years you will see that Fitz is a much better comparison to Tebow than anybody ever has been.

Easy now, Nick doesn't seem to have the bulldozing type running style like Dak and Tebow.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 10:39 PM
I have all my money on Staley being our QB next year.

msstate7
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM

Do you think staley and fitz are both here in '17?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Do you think staley and fitz are both here in '17?

Impossible question to answer.

msstate7
08-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Impossible question to answer.

Gotta feeling we lose 1. It really wouldn't make sense for the other to stay if the winner next season starts all year

DancingRabbit
08-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Gotta feeling we lose 1. It really wouldn't make sense for the other to stay if the winner next season starts all year

Well, I hope you're wrong. OSU won a title with their 3rd string QB. QBs get hurt, especially dual-threat QBs.

msstate7
08-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Well, I hope you're wrong. OSU won a title with their 3rd string QB. QBs get hurt, especially dual-threat QBs.

Miller -- sr
Jones -- junior
Barrett -- soph

Staley and fitz both redshirted and are same class. Just doesn't seem likely 1 backs up the other to finish out college career

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 11:35 PM

Dan, don't play Staley just win that bet. Cause that's the only way Staley Starts over Fitz

thf24
08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Dan, don't play Staley just win that bet. Cause that's the only way Staley Starts over Fitz

Why do you make hard predictions like this without anything real to base them on? I mean I guess you can claim internet points if you turn out to be right, but that doesn't really mean anything since it was just a (falsely) confident guess in the first place.

Leroy Jenkins
08-19-2015, 07:13 AM
I have not seen what Staley can do in a "game situation" but if he beats out Fitz we are gonna be really really good at QB.
To me, what a guy looks like throwing pass skel in practice don't mean much.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 07:20 AM
I have not seen what Staley can do in a "game situation" but if he beats out Fitz we are gonna be really really good at QB.
To me, what a guy looks like throwing pass skel in practice don't mean much.

Couldn't you say the same about spring games? I love Fitz think he's a really good player I just think once Staley gets healthy he's going to take control of the job.

Leroy Jenkins
08-19-2015, 07:25 AM
We have seen more of Fitz, that's all. Staley maybe awesome, most people just don't know yet. I would guess fans are more comfortable with Fitz because they have seen him live-ish.

PMDawg
08-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Couldn't you say the same about spring games? I love Fitz think he's a really good player I just think once Staley gets healthy he's going to take control of the job.

Staley doesn't seem very durable so far. That's very important in our offense. If you factor that in, I think Nick gets the edge. Either way, I hope both guys get some snaps this year.

Dawgface
08-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Makes no difference to me who wins the job. I hope they both do well and Mullen has a tough choice next year. If one wins the job and takes complete control, unlikely the other stays.

Johnson85
08-19-2015, 07:42 AM

After this year they'll both be RS sophomores. So one of them can transfer out, spend another year not getting to play, and then have two years to play, or they can ride it out where they are knowing that our last three QBs have spent some time injured. I would understand if somebody transfers, but it's not an easy decision either way.

I will say since Staley has said he likes basketball more, he might be more likely to transfer to a school where he can play both or try his hand with Howland.

Coach34
08-19-2015, 07:42 AM

In December, Staley was the better passer. It's not going to take him long to close that gap again

Homedawg
08-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Amazing this argument is even taking place. Just think, 3-4 years ago most on boards were bitching that Dan couldn't recruit a qb. Now I would call it a pretty deep position. As for this particular argument- tough call, staley has best upside, without a doubt, fitz knows how to play. I'll go with fitz starts the first game and staley wins out by the end of the year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Staley doesn't seem very durable so far. That's very important in our offense. If you factor that in, I think Nick gets the edge. Either way, I hope both guys get some snaps this year.

He's only been hurt once. It just happened to be a serious injury. It will be a great competition I feel Staley wins it. A lot of People that have seen him practice feel he's the future of the program. Matt Wyatt is maybe his biggest fan he loves Staley.

mic
08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Our QB situation is in good hands no matter who wins the job..
But a staff member did say that Fitz has the IT factor.. So if Staley can win the job even better...

RBritt
08-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Wonder if we will have a goal line package with Staley in it. If Staley is the man can Fitzgerald move out wide like Tannehill did at A&M?

Tbonewannabe
08-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Either between Fitz or Staley, we are in the best QB situation in MSU 's history. I will say having Staley compared to Newton, Cam was a load to bring down and almost was a guaranteed 5 yards when he ran with it.

Rayburn8
08-19-2015, 08:49 AM

Staley will move to number 2 on the depth chart by bowl season.

maroonmania
08-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Miller -- sr
Jones -- junior
Barrett -- soph

Staley and fitz both redshirted and are same class. Just doesn't seem likely 1 backs up the other to finish out college career

I think its way too early to even bring up the possibility of one transferring. Its not like either is going to be buried on the depth chart. I look for a tough battle and whoever doesn't win the starter job may actually be in a 1b type role after Dak leaves. I can assure you Dan Mullen would have no problem running a 2 QB system if he felt he had 2 guys that can play at a high level. I think its much more likely that Williams looks to go somewhere else (maybe even to a lower division school) if he gets beat out by both and goes to 3rd on the depth chart as either a SR or RSJR next year. Heck, it doesn't even look like we are going to sign a QB this year so if we were to lose either Fitz or Staley our QB position could deteriorate fairly quickly with just one or the other and Tiano next year. That would not be a good situation. And it was only a couple years ago that we had to play 3 QBs quite a bit because of all the injuries at that position and barely survived all that to get bowl eligible. It could certainly happen again with the way Mullen runs his QB. I'll stick by my thought that if both show they can play, regardless of who starts, both WILL play and play a lot.

BrunswickDawg
08-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Easy now, Nick doesn't seem to have the bulldozing type running style like Dak and Tebow.
Wrong - I watched him truck my Glynn Academy Terrors 2 years ago. He doesn't shy away from contact.

BeardoMSU
08-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Why do you make hard predictions like this without anything real to base them on? I mean I guess you can claim internet points if you turn out to be right, but that doesn't really mean anything since it was just a (falsely) confident guess in the first place.

And, to piggy-back this point, what do you (Preach) know about their intangibles? It's seems a little presumptuous on your part to go there.

1bigdawg
08-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Since they are both good, intangibles become the critical factor: Leadership and decision making.

Coach34
08-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Fitz is known as an "IT" guy. Staley is the better talent. Gotta let it play out this year. Enjoy the competition between them.

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Fitz is known as an "IT" guy. Staley is the better talent. Gotta let it play out this year. Enjoy the competition between them.

I agree with this & look forward to seeing both guys play this season.

Until we see both players on the field, this is moot discussion. I really like Fitz at QB and think he has a chance to be really really good, but that's only because I've seen him play. Once I see Staley play, I'll make up my own mind.

QB is an incredibly difficult position to evaluate, &, most the time, so long as the both candidates have "adequate" physical talent, who is more talented doesn't really matter.

Michael Vick, RG3, & Jay Culter are all more physically talented than Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, & Tom Brady. All three of those guys are faster, more athletic, & have bigger arms.

Think about that.

RiverCityDawg
08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
And, to piggy-back this point, what do you (Preach) know about their intangibles? It's seems a little presumptuous on your part to go there.

I don't think anyone has disputed the difference in intangibles shown TO THIS POINT, so I don't see it as presumptuous on his part at all. Even those who think Staley wins the job admit that Fitz has the "it" factor.

Can young people change? Absolutely. But can you imagine Dak getting kicked off his high school football team? No way. Surely you can see how a "freak athlete" SEC caliber QB getting kicked off his HS team raises serious red flags about intangibles to some of us. I'm not writing him off for a high school mistake (or even series of mistakes), but I also don't see how you can ignore it when talking about intangibles.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't think anyone has disputed the difference in intangibles shown TO THIS POINT, so I don't see it as presumptuous on his part at all. Even those who think Staley wins the job admit that Fitz has the "it" factor.

Can young people change? Absolutely. But can you imagine Dak getting kicked off his high school football team? No way. Surely you can see how a "freak athlete" SEC caliber QB getting kicked off his HS team raises serious red flags about intangibles to some of us. I'm not writing him off for a high school mistake (or even series of mistakes), but I also don't see how you can ignore it when talking about intangibles.

You can also have made stupid mistakes & still have intangibles. SEE: Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel or Jamies Winston. All those guys made bone head decisions at some point in college but had the talent & intangibles to overcome them. We'll see what these 2 guys have next spring.

bulldawg28
08-19-2015, 01:15 PM
You can also have made stupid mistakes & still have intangibles. SEE: Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel or Jamies Winston. All those guys made bone head decisions at some point in college but had the talent & intangibles to overcome them. We'll see what these 2 guys have next spring.

Boooom!!!

1bigdawg
08-19-2015, 01:26 PM
QB is an incredibly difficult position to evaluate, &, most the time, so long as the both candidates have "adequate" physical talent, who is more talented doesn't really matter.

This. Look at Alabama. They recruit 5 star guys and have to start a transfer.

Dawg61
08-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Williams will start game 1 2016

maroonmania
08-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Unless, heaven forbid, Dak gets hurt where then we would see what these guys have much earlier.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Unless, heavan forbid, Dak gets hurt where then we would see what these guys have much earlier.

Delete this post & never speak of anything like this ever again

mcain31
08-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I look forward to seeing both Staley and Fitz play against Northwestern State.

RiverCityDawg
08-19-2015, 02:42 PM

I hear what you're saying, but those guys made non-football team related mistakes. Staley didn't steal a laptop, party too much, sign autographs for money or shout obscenities from a table... An issue between he and his coach got so serious that his coach was willing to go without the best player on his team. It just seems like a red flag, that's all.

preachermatt83
08-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Someone bookmark this thread please.