PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin

Dawg496
08-18-2015, 03:56 PM
We've talked about for several years now having a Percy Harvin type in Mullen's offense. WMD's preview got me thinking.. as he said Gabe was given a handful of carries last year and he had decent success.

Is he or a newcomer potentially finally our big play threat similar to Percy Harvin? I've seen Malik Dear mentioned as a possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGneG7UMZY

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Malik Dear is the closest thing to Harvin we've had.

Dawg496
08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Malik Dear is the closest thing to Harvin we've had.

Do you see him playing this year? Is he finally a talented enough to finally play significant minutes under Mullen? Seems like we haven't had a true impact freshmen in the last several years.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Do you see him playing this year? Is he finally a talented enough to finally play significant minutes under Mullen? Seems like we haven't had a true impact freshmen in the last several years.

He will play & what is your definition of impact? Guys like Bear, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Josh Boyd, Bump, & Banks all were pretty good as true freshmen.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Dear seems to be built much differently than Harvin. Is Dear really fast? Seems like Harvins incredible burst and speed is what set him apart.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Dear seems to be built much differently than Harvin. Is Dear really fast? Seems like Harvins incredible burst and speed is what set him apart.

Dear is about 210lbs now which is about 10-15lbs heavier than Harvin. It's not many guys period with Harvin's speed, agility, & footwork. Malik is plenty fast though.

Sacrifice
08-18-2015, 04:36 PM
I got to see Dear play a few times at Murrah, he's more of a RB than Harvin was. He reminds me more of Marshall Faulk than Percy Harvin.

DanDority
08-18-2015, 05:38 PM
To my knowledge, we do not have a Percy Harvin nor do we have a Percy Harvey on our roster.

archdog
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM
There is only one Percy. Those players are few and far in between. The only other player I can say has an equal skill set is Randall Cobb.

archdog
08-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Gabe Miles may be close though. Loved the way he transitioned between the catch and getting up field.

Leroy Jenkins
08-18-2015, 05:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbBP9Em00A

We need a Persey Harvey, We have a Tim Tivo.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't think anyone said we had a Percy Harvin. I think the question was do we have someone who can play that role.

Pinto
08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Put Bryant back there. 4.24 on the floor

dawgwood
08-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Dear is about 210lbs now which is about 10-15lbs heavier than Harvin. It's not many guys period with Harvin's speed, agility, & footwork. Malik is plenty fast though. wat about Keith Mixon. Heard he was pretty fast.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 07:21 PM
wat about Keith Mixon. Heard he was pretty fast.

I love Keith he's just smaller than Harvin & Dear. Most years it would be a no brainer he'd play but I think he RS.

FlabLoser
08-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Holloway is our closest Percy Harvin.

I'll tell you one thing that made Harvin a home run threat - downfield blocking. Watch his YouTubes. Flarda put a hat on everybody. Because of Harvin's speed, they didn't have to block for very long. But Harvin didn't make all those plays by himself. It was the system getting him in space, downfield blocking, and great speed.

I'd say we've got about 85% of that on our team. We've got the scheme. We've got big WRs, especially Bear, that block downfield, and we've got Holloway. Just gotta get him the ball in space and/or have him hitting gaps full speed.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Holloway is our closest Percy Harvin.

I'll tell you one thing that made Harvin a home run threat - downfield blocking. Watch his YouTubes. Flarda put a hat on everybody. Because of Harvin's speed, they didn't have to block for very long. But Harvin didn't make all those plays by himself. It was the system getting him in space, downfield blocking, and great speed.

I'd say we've got about 85% of that on our team. We've got the scheme. We've got big WRs, especially Bear, that block downfield, and we've got Holloway. Just gotta get him the ball in space and/or have him hitting gaps full speed.

How is holloway similar to Harvin? He's smaller, doesn't have great vision, & doesn't have good hands.

thf24
08-18-2015, 07:43 PM
How is holloway similar to Harvin? He's smaller, doesn't have great vision, & doesn't have good hands.

Plus he's never shown any elusiveness or ability to break tackles. The only big runs he's busted were when a gaping hole was opened for him at the line, and even then, for all his supposed speed, he didn't manage to finish any of them for touchdowns.

Dallas_Dawg
08-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Surely Flab forgot the ***

FlabLoser
08-18-2015, 08:41 PM
I guess I was influenced by the A&M game that was on TV this weekend.

Dallas_Dawg
08-18-2015, 08:54 PM
I guess I was influenced by the A&M game that was on TV this weekend.

We could have lined nick james up at tailback last year against aTm and he would have gone for over 100 yds. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little but there were some holes to run through

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Mixon

bulldawg28
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Mixon appears the closest thing. ...but it's no Percy even in the SEC.

CadaverDawg
08-19-2015, 09:11 AM
I really thought Graham was going to be our Harvin, but I guess ifyouonlyknew didn't see it that way, so he was moved to defense. Graham is basically the same exact size as Harvin (Harvin was listed at 5'11 175 at Florida), and just a hair slower. I'm still not 100% sure we didn't make a mistake in moving him to defense this soon. But I'll defer to Dan on that.

I think Deddrick Thomas is supposed to be a good one of similar size as well, but I may be wrong. I agree that Mixon may be a big time playmaker like that for us. Seems to fit that mold, just a bit smaller/shorter.

Flab must not have had his morning coffee if he thinks Holloway is comparable. Holloway may not get on the field if he played at USM. Dan thought he had something in Holloway, and now I don't think he can accept that he was wrong. So he keeps sticking him out there to fail

fishwater99
08-19-2015, 09:20 AM
I really thought Graham was going to be our Harvin, but I guess ifyouonlyknew didn't see it that way, so he was moved to defense. Graham is basically the same exact size as Harvin (Harvin was listed at 5'11 175 at Florida), and just a hair slower. I'm still not 100% sure we didn't make a mistake in moving him to defense this soon. But I'll defer to Dan on that.

I think Deddrick Thomas is supposed to be a good one of similar size as well, but I may be wrong. I agree that Mixon may be a big time playmaker like that for us. Seems to fit that mold, just a bit smaller/shorter.

Flab must not have had his morning coffee if he thinks Holloway is comparable. Holloway may not get on the field if he played at USM. Dan thought he had something in Holloway, and now I don't think he can accept that he was wrong. So he keeps sticking him out there to fail

This is Dan's Biggest fault...
He's too damn stubborn or arrogant to admit he is ever wrong and make a change.

bgover4
08-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I think the hang-up with Holloway for Dan is that Holloway is that guy that gives 100% and has a great work ethic. Dan chooses to reward that. Its ashame that Holloway isn't more productive, but he gives max effort and does all the little things right. Dan wants badly for that work to pay off. It just isn't, but Dan wants to give him the opportunity. I wish we could see more production from holloway myself but i can respect the decision to reward hard work and effort.

Dawg496
08-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Aside from Dak and Fred Ross, what home run hitters do we have? I would throw Fred Brown and potentially Donald Gray in that mix although they are largely unproven. Not sure if DeRunnya has the moves to escape everybody even if he catches a big pass.

I think that's what we're lacking.. someone who can just flat outrun the defense and take it to the house. Easier said than done of course but it would put us in the conversation to be one of the best offenses ever if we can find that piece.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Aside from Dak and Fred Ross, what home run hitters do we have? I would throw Fred Brown and potentially Donald Gray in that mix although they are largely unproven. Not sure if DeRunnya has the moves to escape everybody even if he catches a big pass.

I think that's what we're lacking.. someone who can just flat outrun the defense and take it to the house. Easier said than done of course but it would put us in the conversation to be one of the best offenses ever if we can find that piece.

I don't think having that 1 blazing fast guy is necessary. We had 7 guys catch passes for at least 40yds last year. That's a big #. That would suggest our entire offense is a big play offense.

Jack Lambert
08-19-2015, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbBP9Em00A

We need a Persey Harvey, We have a Tim Tivo.

Any relations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q