PDA

View Full Version : Is Dontavian Lee a major key to another exceptional season?...

Dawgheadcheese
08-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Here is how i see our running backs - and the key to us winning 10 games versus 7 games:

Ashton Shumpert - He can get a lot of carries, and be productive, but he is not an every down running back that will scare defenses.
Aeris Williams - See Ashton Shumpert
Dontavian Lee - in my mind, this guy is the key. He has the all around talent to keep defenses honest. Keeping defenses honest will free up receivers and give Prescott breathing room (move the chains). It's a lot to ask of a young guy - but he seems poised enough to do it.
Brandon Holloway - non factor at running back. Throw him in on some gimmick plays - get the ball to him in open space and pick up some good yards.

Question is this - will Mullen be hard headed and stick with his more experienced running backs - possibly costing us a tough game or two early in the season before giving Lee significant touches? Or will he not hesitate to throw Lee in if we are struggling on offense?

msstate7
08-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Not sure what you're basing lee is a stud and aeris isn't on. Neither has played in a real game yet. You could be right. I just think it's premature

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Here is how i see our running backs - and the key to us winning 10 games versus 7 games:

Ashton Shumpert - He can get a lot of carries, and be productive, but he is not an every down running back that will scare defenses.
Dontavian Lee - in my mind, this guy is the key. He has the all around talent to keep defenses honest. Keeping defenses honest will free up receivers and give Prescott breathing room (move the chains). It's a lot to ask of a young guy - but he seems poised enough to do it.
Brandon Holloway - non factor at running back. Throw him in on some gimmick plays - get the ball to him in open space and pick up some good yards.

Question is this - will Mullen be hard headed and stick with his more experienced running backs - possibly costing us a tough game or two early in the season before giving Lee significant touches? Or will he not hesitate to throw Lee in if we are struggling on offense?

You were able to tell Lee's poise and ability to keep defenses honest by watching him in one spring scrimmage?

I disagree. I think Lee will eventually be a great back, but I think you are big time underestimating Shumpert. And Williams too for that matter.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 03:35 PM
To answer your question... No.

Johnson85
08-18-2015, 04:08 PM

At worst, Shumpert will be a running back that runs hard north and south, consistently takes what's available and thereby avoids negative yardage plays, even if he doesn't end up breaking a lot of big runs. That, combined with Dak, is going to be enough to make our running game go. As odd is it is to say this as an MSU fan, we can rely on our passing game to produce big plays for us; we just need the running game to be good enough to consistently move the chains.

It will be nice if Dontavian Lee adds a different dimension with his carries, but if I was going to pick a RS freshman that is key to our season, I'd pick Cory Thomas and Brandon Bryant ahead of Lee.

mic
08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
To answer your question... No.

This thread lost all steam pretty quick .. Thanks Dan ...

RiverCityDawg
08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
By most camp accounts, it sounds like Shump is continuing to separate himself from the pack. Not saying the other guys won't get carries (especially in the first game), but it doesn't sound like it will be a full out "committee" approach like we might have thought after spring. Dan/ifyouonlyknew can correct me if I'm wrong.

FISHDAWG
08-18-2015, 04:32 PM
This thread lost all steam pretty quick .. Thanks Dan ...

he has to be Rocky .... regardless of who, it's pretty cool to have great first hand info on our board .... Dan / Rocky - really appreciate the participation and insight you bring here

Coach007
08-18-2015, 04:41 PM

I am going to agree with you. I think all purpose, Lee will be the go to back by mid season.

5 Star
08-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Another vote for D. Lee here. He'll be the feature back by season's end.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2015, 04:46 PM
At worst, Shumpert will be a running back that runs hard north and south, consistently takes what's available and thereby avoids negative yardage plays, even if he doesn't end up breaking a lot of big runs. That, combined with Dak, is going to be enough to make our running game go. As odd is it is to say this as an MSU fan, we can rely on our passing game to produce big plays for us; we just need the running game to be good enough to consistently move the chains.

I see it this way as well. Shumpert's running style & size brings a certain floor to how poor our running game can possibly be. Between, Shump & Dak, at very least we should be able to move the chains & grind out drives. With that said, if Lee can bring a big play dynamic to our running game that can make us that much better.

Between Dak & Shumpert running & our passing game, we should score point regardless.

IMO, this season hinges on the following factors:

1. Dak's health
2. Our defensive line health & development of depth
3. Our ability to create "adequate" safety play (Remember, with the QBs in the SEC, we don't have to be great at safety. Just "Avg" or "Adequate"
4. Calhoun & Redmond's health.
5. A kicker that consistently makes FGs from inside the 30 yard line.

One big one missing in this list is offensive line play. I trust Heavesy, Dak's ability to get us in the right play, and Shumps ability to pass block. I'm not worried here.

BulldogBear
08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
he has to be Rocky .... regardless of who, it's pretty cool to have great first hand info on our board .... Dan / Rocky - really appreciate the participation and insight you bring here
Neither. He once gave a big clue that would mean he was neither and IIRC it was on an OT thread or at least one that ended up heading OT. But I feel likewise, the value of his contributions on this board is that of treasure!

Leroy Jenkins
08-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Shump will be the guy. The only knock on him is he doesn't have "vision" and he is not "natural". I think he wii be great. We will see this year. I don't think the competition is that close.

thunderclap
08-18-2015, 04:52 PM
What I think (and hope) about Shump is that he's gonna be a lot less fun to tackle in the fourth quarter than the first.

BulldogBear
08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Neither. He once gave a big clue that would mean he was neither and IIRC it was on an OT thread or at least one that ended up heading OT. But I feel likewise, the value of his contributions on this board is that of treasure!

ETA: I you paid attention in that thread you would probably believe as I do that ifyouonlyknew is Coach Hughes or maybe Coach Knox. But it could be someone younger like Sleepy. I don't really know of course.

Coach34
08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Its so hard to replace the RB that does everything the way he does- he just doesnt have the great vision your better RB's have. Maybe the vision gets better with consistent carries this season? But with the way he catches the ball, pass protects, carries out fakes full speed, plays physical every damn play- its hard to trust the others. Our RB situation is going to be fine and even better in some situations than last year because these guys wont do alot of dancing. They are going to be physical

Johnson85
08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
IMO, this season hinges on the following factors:

1. Dak's health
2. Our defensive line health & development of depth
3. Our ability to create "adequate" safety play (Remember, with the QBs in the SEC, we don't have to be great at safety. Just "Avg" or "Adequate"
4. Calhoun & Redmond's health.
5. A kicker that consistently makes FGs from inside the 30 yard line.

I would do my list a little different. Our key questions/issues to address are:

(1) Figuring out an answer at safety.
(2) Replacing the pass rush that we got from P. Smith
(3) Replacing Clausell
(4) Replacing JRob's development.
(5) Young players stepping up to provide depth at DT, DE, S, and interior line.

I'm hoping that Diaz's can help protect against any weakness at with respect to issue (1); I'm hoping Diaz's scheme can help with #2 if none of our DE's step up. I'm not worried about OT. I feel like if we are redshirting the number one JUCO OT we can't be terrible there. We're going to msis JRob, but I think between our receiving corp being even better and Shump not having some of JRob's bad habits our offense won't be visibly hurt. For issue (5), Cory Thomas has to be good, somebody has to step up at DE, Brandon Bryant and J. Peters need to be good, and somebody like Calhoun needs to be ready to play this year on the interior as a backup.

After that it's all about key injuries (or maybe more accurately before all that, it's about avoiding key injuries).

Rayburn8
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Sigh, I still don't understand where all this Lee>Williams stuff comes from. Shump will start when till he graduates, when he leaves Williams will take over. There is reason Williams was considered the best back in the state for a couple years. This is exactly like the Fitz>Staley thing. People see stuff in a meaningless scrimmage and think it will translate to the field.

archdog
08-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Why are we writing guys off already. We need the hype train full steam ahead on all of our players. I want confidence to spare for all our rbs. We need ESPN to pick up the cause early in the season. Similar to how they picked up on Chubb last year. Shump, Lee, and Williams needs to make some noise early and often. I am not in a position to claim one above the others if I am completely honest. I do know one thing, people are going hate tackling these guys.

smootness
08-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Trent Richardson say vision matters more in the NFL than in college.

I just have a few things to contribute on this topic:

1. Shumpert's vision may not be in the 'great' category, but we still haven't really see enough of him to know where it is. It could be anywhere from terrible to just fine.

2. Even without great vision, he'll be fine.

3. Williams and Lee have the exact same amount of experience.

4. I don't really care who takes the job. We have 3 potentially very good, every down backs. I'll take it.

mparkerfd20
08-18-2015, 06:50 PM
ETA: I you paid attention in that thread you would probably believe as I do that ifyouonlyknew is Coach Hughes or maybe Coach Knox. But it could be someone younger like Sleepy. I don't really know of course.

I've narrowed it down to about 6 or 7 possibilities and you named 3 of them. I do feel it's a 40 or younger person. Regardless it's someone very connected to football and somewhat connected to basketball. Regardless who he or "she" may be I really appreciate ifyouonlyknew's contribution to the board without having to 'know'.

smootness
08-18-2015, 06:59 PM
I'd be pretty shocked if one of our football coaches a) had enough time to post this often on a message board and b) cared and/or knew that much about our basketball recruiting.

mparkerfd20
08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Look at our recruiting coordinators.... That's why I said or 'she'.

gravedigger
08-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Not sure what you're basing lee is a stud and aeris isn't on. Neither has played in a real game yet. You could be right. I just think it's premature

I dont think its so much that lee is a stud ans aries isnt. Its just that lee is a big bruising chain moving back. Aries is more slash

War Machine Dawg
08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
What I think (and hope) about Shump is that he's gonna be a lot less fun to tackle in the fourth quarter than the first.

I don't think there's any question about that. But I could say the same thing about all three of our RBs. They're all downhill power backs who aren't going to waste much time trying to juke or make an extra cut. They'll just run that ass over instead.

tcdog70
08-18-2015, 09:37 PM

I think he is from Philadelphia

smootness
08-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Look at our recruiting coordinators.... That's why I said or 'she'.

I was clearly responding to the specific assertion that it might be a football coach.

pilldawg
08-18-2015, 10:35 PM
bottom guys. I think it was more telling that Shumpert and Williams had less carries in the Spring game. Don't want to get your better players hurt and I still believe Aries may be ahead of Dontavian, even as good as he looked.

MabenMaroon
08-19-2015, 06:30 AM
1) Ifyouonlyknew ... is Heisman, the family dog

2) Won't be this year, but the back of the future is Alec Murphy. Extremely smart, got a lot of speed, got moves, extremely strong, loves contact ( both blocking and trucking tacklers ) most of all a tremendous work ethic and "want to".

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 07:21 AM
1) Ifyouonlyknew ... is Heisman, the family dog

2) Won't be this year, but the back of the future is Alec Murphy. Extremely smart, got a lot of speed, got moves, extremely strong, loves contact ( both blocking and trucking tacklers ) most of all a tremendous work ethic and "want to".

I don't see Murphy ever being the guy at RB.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-19-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't see Murphy ever being the guy at RB.

What about fullback/H-back or will he move to defense?

FISHDAWG
08-19-2015, 07:46 AM
can he kick **

CadaverDawg
08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Y'all don't worry about who "ifyouonlyknew" is. And definitely don't out him on a public forum. Instead, just appreciate the knowledge and info he gives us daily.

If you bust him out, his only option may be to stop sharing info with us.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2015, 07:57 AM
What about fullback/H-back or will he move to defense?

I've always said I think he ends up at LB. the question then becomes can he beat out any of our young LB's.

Saltydog
08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Who cares who he/she is. Just enjoy their information....