PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff returns

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2015, 11:09 AM
This should be a good discussion.

Hearing that Holloway & Redmond are running first team kickoff return, Smokey & Brown running 2nd team, & Gray & Myles running 3rd

Fire away

Irondawg
08-18-2015, 11:13 AM
i thought it would be some combination of Smokey, Graham, Gray

maroonmania
08-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Hearing that Holloway & Redmond are running first team kickoff return, Smokey & Brown running 2nd team, & Gray & Myles running 3rd

Fire away

I personally don't like that. I'm fine with Holloway but I don't really want our best CB getting possibly hurt on a KO return. Would rather see Donald Gray there who I thought was a return demon in JUCO. Myles, Smokey or Brown I'm fine with as well. Redmond is just too valuable a commodity in our secondary.

starkvegasdawg
08-18-2015, 12:13 PM
I personally don't like that. I'm fine with Holloway but I don't really want our best CB getting possibly hurt on a KO return. Would rather see Donald Gray there who I thought was a return demon in JUCO. Myles, Smokey or Brown I'm fine with as well. Redmond is just too valuable a commodity in our secondary.

I agree. Redmond has already missed enough of his college career. Don't need to risk the rest of it on kickoffs.

RAYn_Man
08-18-2015, 12:27 PM
i thought it would be some combination of Smokey, Graham, Gray

Smokey = Graham I thought?

thf24
08-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Not a big fan of Holloway back there... even though he's fast he hasn't proven particularly shifty or elusive, and you've usually got to make one or two guys miss for a big return no matter how well your blocking sets up. I'd like to see Smokey and either Gray or Myles. Keep Redmond safe as has already been said.

Dawg Corps
08-18-2015, 12:42 PM

This is correct.

FISHDAWG
08-18-2015, 12:56 PM
wasn't it Fred Ross that took over late last season / - I thought he did pretty good and he's not even in the discussion

SallyStansbury
08-18-2015, 01:01 PM
I have a more specific question for the coaching types.....do we run a completely generic/ineffective blocking scheme on kickoffs? Because the easy thing to do is single out Perkins or Johnson or whomever and say, those guys should not be returning kickoffs, because they shouldn't, but are we doing something else wrong? Is there a larger strategic problem?? Perhaps talent on the kickoff team?

Fire away

Leroy Jenkins
08-18-2015, 01:05 PM
wasn't it Fred Ross that took over late last season / - I thought he did pretty good and he's not even in the discussion

That was punt return.

FISHDAWG
08-18-2015, 01:06 PM
That was punt return.

thanks for correcting the brain fart

thf24
08-18-2015, 01:06 PM

He took punts. He probably just falls way down the kickoff list when considering that consistently fielding the ball isn't nearly as critical on kickoffs as punts. Either that or the coaches don't want an offensive starter also on two different special teams units.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Awful. I don't mind Redmond back there, although I agree about injury risk, but why can't we go ahead and put a bullet in this Holloway experiment? Jesus, the guy isn't SEC caliber. Hell, we supposedly play him because of his incredible speed, yet if anybody noticed the Iron Dawg board, he's not even one of the fastest guys on the team. And he's terrible at KO return. He never gets to top speed, and has no acceleration. Put Gray and Graham back there, and end this bullshit Holloway experiment already.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Awful. I don't mind Redmond back there, although I agree about injury risk, but why can't we go ahead and put a bullet in this Holloway experiment? Jesus, the guy isn't SEC caliber. Hell, we supposedly play him because of his incredible speed, yet if anybody noticed the Iron Dawg board, he's not even one of the fastest guys on the team. And he's terrible at KO return. He never gets to top speed, and has no acceleration. Put Gray and Graham back there, and end this bullshit Holloway experiment already.

THIS

I agree that Redmond would be good on kickoff returns, but we have talent. Between Smokey, Gray, Myles, Bryant, Peters, Mixon, & Dear we have similar options as Redmond that we aren't relying on be one of the most important players on our defense.

Why can't we use our talent?

Dallas_Dawg
08-18-2015, 01:22 PM
I agree with cadaver and shotgun.

mstatefan91
08-18-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't have a problem with Redmond being back there. He got one shot last year in the southern game, I believe, and flubbed the catch. He was never put back there again so we don't know what he could bring.

mstatefan91
08-18-2015, 01:25 PM
I would personally like to see Bryant get a shot at it.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Holloway is on the Iron Dawg Board. He was tied for 7th fastest on the team. Actually Holloway is listed in every category on the board except Flying 20 & Pro Shuttle. This is not a vote that he should be returning kicks just saying he's 1 of the best athletes on the team.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Holloway is on the Iron Dawg Board. He was tied for 7th fastest on the team. Actually Holloway is listed in every category on the board except Flying 20 & Pro Shuttle. This is not a vote that he should be returning kicks just saying he's 1 of the best athletes on the team.

Yea, I know he was on there, but he wasn't at the top. If you're 5'4, 90 lbs, you better be the fastest MFer on the field to play in the SEC.

Irondawg
08-18-2015, 02:02 PM

yeah, I meant Myles instead of typing Graham there

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 02:43 PM
THIS

I agree that Redmond would be good on kickoff returns, but we have talent. Between Smokey, Gray, Myles, Bryant, Peters, Mixon, & Dear we have similar options as Redmond that we aren't relying on be one of the most important players on our defense.

Why can't we use our talent?

Exactly.

And if we're fine with putting a guy like Graham in on punt returns as a freshman in SEC games...why not put Peters back on kickoffs as a freshman? He may not be ready to start on defense this year, but why waste a year of that talent?...stick him back there on kickoffs and let the playmaker make plays. That's my opinion.

It's things like Holloway and Robert Johnson being kick returners, that make it still possible to get pissed at a coach that leads MSU to a 10-2 season. To be such a great coach, how can you make terrible decisions like that, and Never learn from them? Even after failed kick return after failed kick return.

I mean, if that's the worst thing he does, that's fine..but it's just a really easy fix, and could help us tremendously with field position. Kick return is a crucial part of the game...it's not a reward for the best practice field heroes. We need a game breaker returning kicks....and we have several. And none of them are named Holloway.

/end rant

klong-dog
08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
No, can't stand the thought of Redmond back there. Need him anchoring down the top opposing WR all year. Also, I'm sure he's a nice kid but Holloway is not the answer as a return guy. He runs timid and quite frankly don't blame him, being that size and the hit Christian Jones landed on him 2 years ago. I'd give it to Gray and Myles, maybe try out Bryant and Graham.

SallyStansbury
08-18-2015, 03:04 PM
It's things like Holloway and Robert Johnson being kick returners, that make it still possible to get pissed at a coach that leads MSU to a 10-2 season. To be such a great coach, how can you make terrible decisions like that, and Never learn from them? Even after failed kick return after failed kick return.

I would say, "Give him a chance to prove you wrong....he may change" but IfYouOnlyKnew is one stubborn dude. IfYouOnlyKnew would tell you that a return right up the gut to the 17 yrd line every time is not a failure......you and I might disagree.

The answer, I am afraid, is to have our talent overshadow Dan's stubbornness and predictability. We have that in a QB and it worked well for us most of time last year, except the last three games. I can't explain Holloway, unless he is really good at following orders...."catch it, run straight up the middle as fast as you can with no variation." The others I bet don't follow orders as well as Holloway. Who knows, it is troubling, but like you said, if that is our worst problem and we can win 9-10 games we should probably shut up.

deltadawg99
08-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Graham should never field a kick or punt again.

Redmond has the big play ability but you do put him at risk of getting hurt, but that is a case with any player and it didn't stop Dan from putting Banks back there ahead of bumphis and slay. Still pisses me off that slay was a juco all American returner and never fielded a single kick.

Gray needs to be returning punts and kicks to get him touches.

Only problem with holloway is that he has zero cutting ability and unless it's just awful coverage he won't get anything out of it.

Bama_Dawg
08-18-2015, 03:27 PM
If we aren't gonna redshirt Dear, he and Gray should be the return guys. Holloway should stick to trying to run the speed sweep on offense. Redmond needs to be like glue on the opposing team's best receiver, and Graham should be learning from Redmond.

1bigdawg
08-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Rarely do straight ahead KO returns yield big plays. Normally, the receiver takes three steps in one direction which the Defense has to respect and then cuts to another lane. That makes it easier for the return team to stick their blocks and open a lane.

We do not EVER do this. It is one of the things that shows the lack of a real Special Teams coach.

I seen it dawg
08-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Gray, Myles, and Graham should handle all of it. Putting Redmond back there is a potential season crusher. I don't understand why Holloway is on the 3 deep anywhere.

confucius say
08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Gray, Myles, and Graham should handle all of it. Putting Redmond back there is a potential season crusher. I don't understand why Holloway is on the 3 deep anywhere.

It should be gray and smokey. With the caveat that Myles and Bryant should get a shot at some point if needed.

DancingRabbit
08-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Fournette returned kick-offs for LSU pretty well.

No idea if he's ever done it but the idea of putting D. Lee back there has some appeal to me. I know it's just one spring game but he seemed to have great field vision, he's pretty fast and he's big enough to run through some arm tackles.

Maybe pair him up with Donald Gray.

Johnson85
08-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Graham should never field a kick or punt again.

Even if you don't think a true freshman can get better as a sophomore, fielding kicks versus punts are two completely different ball games. Not nearly as much pressure returning kicks. Even if you flub it, you're not likely to lose possession.

chef dixon
08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
I like Myles in this spot. He's good at making one nice cut and using straight line speed without messing around. Also want to see Gray just based on the fact everyone on this board has been on his jock all offseason.

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Myles and Gray should be returning kicks. If gray is not returning kicks it is just outright dumb.

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I don't understand why Holloway is on the 3 deep anywhere.

I don't see why he's even on scholarship.

preachermatt83
08-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Exactly.

And if we're fine with putting a guy like Graham in on punt returns as a freshman in SEC games...why not put Peters back on kickoffs as a freshman? He may not be ready to start on defense this year, but why waste a year of that talent?...stick him back there on kickoffs and let the playmaker make plays. That's my opinion.

I mean, if that's the worst thing he does, that's fine..but it's just a really easy fix, and could help us tremendously with field position. Kick return is a crucial part of the game...it's not a reward for the best practice field heroes. We need a game breaker returning kicks....and we have several. And none of them are named Holloway.

/end rant

There is a reason Cadaver is my favorite poster... It's because he freakin nails it with posts like this.

Todd4State
08-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Holloway is a track guy playing football. With his speed, he would be an awesome kick returner IF he had the football instincts and vision to hit the hole hard on kickoff returns, but he just does not have that ability.

As long as Holloway is back there, I'm not worried about Redmond because no one is going to kick the ball to him.

Dan has to re-invent the wheel with special teams. And it kills us in field position.

Todd4State
08-18-2015, 09:58 PM
I like Myles in this spot. He's good at making one nice cut and using straight line speed without messing around. Also want to see Gray just based on the fact everyone on this board has been on his jock all offseason.

Well, with Gray it's just about utilizing him better. From what I have heard Gray is still learning our offense to a degree- so putting him in at KR/PR gives him a chance to help us and contribute while he is developing.

Todd4State
08-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Myles and Gray should be returning kicks. If gray is not returning kicks it is just outright dumb.

I agree with you, but as long as Holloway is on the roster, Dan is going to be intrigued by him and he will return kicks even though he sucks at it.

klong-dog
08-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I love Mullen being our coach but these are the kind of things that frustrate the ever living $@&! out of me. He becomes obsessed with a certain player that isn't producing and keeps playing him. He did this with Perkins in his JR and SR year, when you could tell JRob was the answer... especially in LDP's SR year.

DanDority
08-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I just HOPE beyond all HOPE that when the ball is kicked into the end zone we do not attempt to return the ball if Holloway is returning the kick. Also I'd like to see us kick off into the end zone a few times this year "fingers crossed"

5 Star
08-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Mullen is brain dead regarding special teams. At least he's smart enough to delegate the defense. He should do the same with special teams.

DancingRabbit
08-18-2015, 10:47 PM
I just HOPE beyond all HOPE that when the ball is kicked into the end zone we do not attempt to return the ball if Holloway is returning the kick. Also I'd like to see us kick off into the end zone a few times this year "fingers crossed"

We led the SEC in kickoff coverage. Except when being extra cautious our strategy was to kick it high and let it land inside the 5. Our opponents average starting position was the 23 - better than a touchback.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2015, 11:05 PM
There is a reason Cadaver is my favorite poster... It's because he freakin nails it with posts like this.

Haha, right back atcha, preach.

Todd4State
08-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I love Mullen being our coach but these are the kind of things that frustrate the ever living $@&! out of me. He becomes obsessed with a certain player that isn't producing and keeps playing him. He did this with Perkins in his JR and SR year, when you could tell JRob was the answer... especially in LDP's SR year.

In hindsight I think that was because of Josh's antics.