PDA

View Full Version : Any Homebrewers?

Bassbucksducks
08-18-2015, 08:29 AM
I know there is the GTR brewers in West Point, but is there any Starkvegas brewers?

BeardoMSU
08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
I've been brewing beer for awhile now. I've made some really good Belgian style tripels, ales, and a few porters, stouts, saisons, etc. The past year or two I've gotten into wine making, which is extremely easy to do, not to mention cheap if you have access to free fruit; I've got friends in Starkville with pear and fig trees, and another with a bunch of muscadine vines, so I've been making gallons of the stuff. I also like to grab a few gallons of local honey from the co-op from time to time and make mead, which may be the easiest/simplest concoction ever devised by man.

ScoobaDawg
08-19-2015, 03:31 AM
Probably be a while before I dive into that area, but nice thread going on Shaggytexas (formerly shagybevo)
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/44549-Homebrewers-What-s-on-Tap

Bassbucksducks
08-19-2015, 06:16 AM
I've been brewing beer for awhile now. I've made some really good Belgian style tripels, ales, and a few porters, stouts, saisons, etc. The past year or two I've gotten into wine making, which is extremely easy to do, not to mention cheap if you have access to free fruit; I've got friends in Starkville with pear and fig trees, and another with a bunch of muscadine vines, so I've been making gallons of the stuff. I also like to grab a few gallons of local honey from the co-op from time to time and make mead, which may be the easiest/simplest concoction ever devised by man.

That's pretty cool! My dad is in to the whole wine making. I've never tried to make it. Do you bottle everything or keg? I've just started kegging my homebrew and it makes it much easier!

Prediction? Pain.
08-19-2015, 08:43 AM
I also like to grab a few gallons of local honey from the co-op from time to time and make mead, which may be the easiest/simplest concoction ever devised by man.

I've been interested in making mead for a while. I've heard it takes some time to ferment. Is that true in your experience? Also, what style is your mead? A lot of the commercial stuff I've tried is syrupy sweet, but I've had homemade mead that's dry or off-dry and it's been great.

BeardoMSU
08-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I've been interested in making mead for a while. I've heard it takes some time to ferment. Is that true in your experience? Also, what style is your mead? A lot of the commercial stuff I've tried is syrupy sweet, but I've had homemade mead that's dry or off-dry and it's been great.

It does take a bit, but not that long really. It usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks for the initial fermentation, then I rack it into another jug, let it sit for a week or so, do the same again, then let settle. The main thing that takes time is allowing it to clear and settle.

My mead is very dry. I also combine mead with fruits too, like pears and strawberries, and it works great. For a 5 gallon batch I put 2 quart jars of honey, then about 5 pounds of brown sugar, and 5-10 pounds of pureed pears to make a nice fruity wine that is only slightly sweet, but very flavorful.