PDA

View Full Version : Levi mintz not returning

JohnnyQuid
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
per robbie Faulk on twitter. not surprising I guess and knew alot of attrition was coming but I really liked mintz for some reason. hopefully works out best for both sides

MsStateBaseball
08-17-2015, 09:51 AM
He was a walk on who barely made it his Fr RS year. All he threw was sliders, his fastball got hit hard. What he should do is go to a smaller college and play 2 sports, he was a good QB in HS.

RAYn_Man
08-17-2015, 10:17 AM
I saw where Jess McCord isn't coming back either, or am I late on that?

msstate7
08-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Wow. I thought he was the next Stratton or whatever.

AROB44
08-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Where did you hear that?

Tripp McNeely
08-17-2015, 11:42 AM

That's a new one...I thought it was just Mintz, Dominguez, Swinarski and Brown...so far at least?

bulldogcountry1
08-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Mintz was actually a bullpen bright spot in the second half of the season. A bit surprised at this one, but I guess it means we will replace him with someone better.

MsStateBaseball
08-17-2015, 12:27 PM
No I believe Jesse is staying. He's in Starkville

MsStateBaseball
08-17-2015, 12:29 PM
McCord Twitter feed said something to the effect about a new school but it was misinterpreted

JohnnyQuid
08-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Mintz was actually a bullpen bright spot in the second half of the season. A bit surprised at this one, but I guess it means we will replace him with someone better.

This was kinda my feeling ... 2nd half of the yr I had as much confidence in him as anyone outta then pen, of course that's not say a whole lot. all part of it tho, wish him the best

RAYn_Man
08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
"Good luck to my best friend at his new school tomorrow. You'll do great, and so Will I @TheyCallMe__J"

Retweeted by McCord this morning. Also numerous people have told me he transferred.

Homedawg
08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
McCord isn't here. In hopes of him rehabbing, healing, and returning next year.

5 Star
08-17-2015, 04:59 PM
McCord isn't here. In hopes of him rehabbing, healing, and returning next year.
I'm starting to think we just need to stop expecting anything out of pitchers once they get injured. Here is a list of guys who got hurt:

Paxton Pace - never played
Michael Dixon - never played
Ben Bracewell - came back but but regressed
C.C. Watson - never played
Brandon Woodruff - never played (significantly)
Will Cox - never played
Paul Young - never played
John Marc Shelly - never played
Preston Brown - came back but regressed
Jesse McCord - ?
Myles Gentry - ?
Jacob Billingsley - ?

I hate to say it, but it appears that once you get injured that it's just lights out. 2 of those 12 came back to pitch significantly, and both never came back stronger than before. If you think Bracewell was good in 13/14, you should have seen him throw in 2010.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 05:05 PM
I'm starting to think we just need to stop expecting anything out of pitchers once they get injured. Here is a list of guys who got hurt:

Will Cox - never played
Jesse McCord - ?
Myles Gentry - ?
Jacob Billingsley - ?

I hate to say it, but it appears that once you get injured that it's just lights out. 2 of those 12 came back to pitch significantly, and both never came back stronger than before. If you think Bracewell was good in 13/14, you should have seen him throw in 2010.

This is why its probably a good idea for any HS pitcher who goes in a pretty high round to take the money and go pro while its available. Unlike position players, a pitcher is always just one pitch away from potentially injuring his arm enough to lose his effectiveness and in turn end his career.

5 Star
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
This is why its probably a good idea for any HS pitcher who goes in a pretty high round to take the money and go pro while its available. Unlike position players, a pitcher is always just one pitch away from potentially injuring his arm enough to lose his effectiveness and in turn end his career.
I agree, but funny enough here lately it's been the high-level position players that go pro, rather than the top-notch pitchers. Explain that one to me...

Homedawg
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM

Will Cox - never played
Jesse McCord - ?
Myles Gentry - ?
Jacob Billingsley - ?

Well part of the problem returning is the roster limitations. You can only have 27 on scholarship and those 27 all have to count against your 35, spots can't be wasted, especially if it's an injury like mccord's where returning is questionable. I know it appears we are giving up on kids, but it's just that we or anyone else can afford to waste spots. They are just too valuable.

Left_Field_Lounge
08-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Mccord is not back on campus

Todd4State
08-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I am a little surprised that they didn't want Mintz back. I thought he performed fairly well compared to the rest of the staff.

Todd4State
08-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Well part of the problem returning is the roster limitations. You can only have 27 on scholarship and those 27 all have to count against your 35, spots can't be wasted, especially if it's an injury like mccord's where returning is questionable. I know it appears we are giving up on kids, but it's just that we or anyone else can afford to waste spots. They are just too valuable.

Exactly. In MLB, you can replace a spot of an injured player without getting hit, but in college baseball an injured player on your scholarship roster hurts a college team badly because you can't replace that player.

Plus, college careers are so short, you really don't have that much time to heal and have a reasonably good career. Even if you redshirt. Basically you're hoping to get one good year with a guy that has an injury.

KB21
08-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, the type of injury that Jesse McCord had is typically a death sentence to the career of a pitcher. Most pitchers that have this injury lose velocity and stamina when they return. This is quite unlike UCL reconstruction in the elbow. 90% of UCL reconstructions end up getting back to the level they were once at. One of the most recent studies I have seen on labrum injuries is that only 3% returned to their pre injury level.

It sucks for Jesse McCord, but that is what happens when your sport has the types of limitations it does with scholarships.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, the type of injury that Jesse McCord had is typically a death sentence to the career of a pitcher. Most pitchers that have this injury lose velocity and stamina when they return. This is quite unlike UCL reconstruction in the elbow. 90% of UCL reconstructions end up getting back to the level they were once at. One of the most recent studies I have seen on labrum injuries is that only 3% returned to their pre injury level.

It sucks for Jesse McCord, but that is what happens when your sport has the types of limitations it does with scholarships.

Which is why I think HS pitchers that get drafted high are dumb to go to school. Pitchers are 1 pitch away from never being the same again.

I know Jesse wasn't a high pick

Intramural All-American
08-17-2015, 11:44 PM
I am a little surprised that they didn't want Mintz back. I thought he performed fairly well compared to the rest of the staff.

It was Levi's decision to give up baseball. He's still at State and just wanted to be a student.

Todd4State
08-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Which is why I think HS pitchers that get drafted high are dumb to go to school. Pitchers are 1 pitch away from never being the same again.

I know Jesse wasn't a high pick

Getting an education is about the same in terms of money depending on what you major in and where you are drafted. If your draft slot is 100K, you're not really risking all that much by going to school. You have to be top two rounds to get in the millions from MLB.

And no one talks about the minor league salary which is piddly causing players to basically live off of their bonus until they make it- fi they ever do.

You can get 75-80K if not more by being a physical therapist right out of PT school for example. It's a difference of only about 20K.

Todd4State
08-17-2015, 11:48 PM
It was Levi's decision to give up baseball. He's still at State and just wanted to be a student.

I can respect that. Playing sports is time consuming- especially when you aren't getting a full free ride out of it.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Getting an education is about the same in terms of money depending on what you major in and where you are drafted. If your draft slot is 100K, you're not really risking all that much by going to school. You have to be top two rounds to get in the millions from MLB.

And no one talks about the minor league salary which is piddly causing players to basically live off of their bonus until they make it- fi they ever do.

You can get 75-80K if not more by being a physical therapist right out of PT school for example. It's a difference of only about 20K.

Aren't most mlb teams offering to pay for school after mlb when colleges can't even offer a full ride?

Todd4State
08-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Aren't most mlb teams offering to pay for school after mlb when colleges can't even offer a full ride?

Sometimes, but then you have to spend at least four years with very minimal income getting a degree and a lot of those players have families by then.

Most college teams may not be able to give out full scholarships, but many players get grants and other scholarships that help supplement the athletic aid and that keeps their college costs down. Plus, if you do make it to MLB, any student loan debts are not going to be an issue with the millions that most players make.

There are many studies that show that the path that gives you the most likely chance at making it to MLB is by going to college first if you are an American born baseball player. Basically you can play minor league baseball in Cedar Rapids, Iowa or you can come somewhere like Starkville and play your minor league baseball and get your education at the same time with tons of good looking girls.

ScottH
08-18-2015, 12:17 AM

Doc, are there other positions/sports that labrums are also death sentences?

KB21
08-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Doc, are there other positions/sports that labrums are also death sentences?

Any sport where an overhand motion is a key aspect. Baseball, softball, swimming, volleyball, tennis...etc.

MsStateBaseball
08-18-2015, 08:30 AM
last I saw, he was interviewed by gene , I think, and he felt good and was on a throwing program over the summer.

RAYn_Man
08-18-2015, 09:57 AM
last I saw, he was interviewed by gene , I think, and he felt good and was on a throwing program over the summer.

That's good to know. He's still not here.