PDA

View Full Version : Didn't realize how important week 1 is for SEC West..

Beaver
08-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Alabama vs Wisconsin
Auburn vs Louisville
Texas A&M vs Arizona State

Question is...who are you rooting for to win each game?

Obviously we need the SEC West to appear strong since it's likely no one will escape the SEC schedule undefeated. However, a loss for any of those teams likely knocks them out of the playoff race, which could benefit MSU in head to head matchup (assuming State is in the playoff hunt).

For me, I'd want the SEC to win 2/3 of those games. I'd want Bama to win since they play us late in the season, and then maybe Auburn to lose because I hate Auburn, and we play them early on.

Dawg61
08-16-2015, 11:26 PM
I think only Auburn is in danger of losing. Petrino didn't take long to get it going again.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Your making the same mistake with ASU that the media makes with MSU. Just looking at the name and the team.

Arizona State returns 17 starters from a team that went 10-3 last season. A&M is only favored by 3 points.

Arizona State may be the better team in that game

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Your making the same mistake with ASU that the media makes with MSU. Just looking at the name and the team.

Arizona State returns 17 starters from a team that went 10-3 last season. A&M is only favored by 3 points.

aTm has some freak athletes on offense. I just don't see ASU being able to keep up athletically with aTm. I can buy that ASU is the better team but I just don't think they can physically stay with the Aggies. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

Todd4State
08-17-2015, 01:03 AM
It's in our best interests for the SEC to lose all three of those games. Doubt it happens, but if you are asking me who I am rooting for it's the non-SEC teams.

dawgs
08-17-2015, 03:41 AM
aTm has some freak athletes on offense. I just don't see ASU being able to keep up athletically with aTm. I can buy that ASU is the better team but I just don't think they can physically stay with the Aggies. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

PAC 12 teams recruit good athletes too. A&M recruits well, but they ain't Bama level or anything.

I seen it dawg
08-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Won't matter....

CadaverDawg
08-17-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't see how those teams losing could help us. It wouldn't be SEC losses, and it would only make the SEC look weak therefore making our wins over those teams look less impressive.

IMO, if the SEC could dominate OOC, and we could have every team we face be undefeated when we play them, that would be ideal. That way all wins are great wins, and no losses are "bad" losses.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 07:28 AM
I don't see how those teams losing could help us. It wouldn't be SEC losses, and it would only make the SEC look weak therefore making our wins over those teams look less impressive.

IMO, if the SEC could dominate OOC, and we could have every team we face be undefeated when we play them, that would be ideal. That way all wins are great wins, and no losses are "bad" losses.

I don't think it matters bc if we win sec, we're in. If we don't win sec, we won't be in no matter what IMO

CadaverDawg
08-17-2015, 07:33 AM
I don't think it matters bc if we win sec, we're in. If we don't win sec, we won't be in no matter what IMO

Yea, but if there's a bunch of 2 loss SEC teams in conference, but everyone thinks we're all "down" Bc all our best lost OOC, it may be harder to get into the playoff. They aren't going to put a 3 loss SEC team in the playoff.

CadaverDawg
08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
In other words, the league beats up on each other and Bama wins a 3-way tie in the West at 6-2, but gets left out of the playoff Bc they lost to Wisconsin, so they have 3 losses on the year.

missouridawg
08-17-2015, 07:46 AM

What has aTm done in the previous 3 seasons under Sumlin to make you think they can out-physical anyone? ASU can score with anyone in the country. aTm will have their hands completely full on this game. In fact, if I were to rank the 3 SEC games in order of most likely win to least likely win... Bama is the most likely to win and aTm is the least likely to win.

Coach34
08-17-2015, 08:09 AM
A&M lost all their starting LB'ers and half their Secondary off an awful defense. Gimme ASU

msstate7
08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
A&M lost all their starting LB'ers and half their Secondary off an awful defense.

Might not be a bad thing for them

BiscuitEater
08-17-2015, 08:15 AM
It's in our best interests for the SEC to lose all three of those games. Doubt it happens, but if you are asking me who I am rooting for it's the non-SEC teams.

Disagree .. it is in OUR best interests for the SEC West to win 'each and every' OOC game AND 'each and every' game against SEC East teams exactly like they (almost) did last year.

The SEC West won every OOC game last year and had a 10-4 against the East (Ark lost 2 and Aub lost 2 East games .. to Ga & Missouri) .. ergo SEC West was considered the toughest division in CFB. Granted, SEC West didn't play as tough an OCC sched as East .. FSU, Oklahoma, Clemson & Ga Tech like the East, but still had a better rep.

This year, the West is so strong & balanced that NO TEAM is going to dominate and go undefeated .. ANY West team is fully capable of beating or LOSING to ANY other West team.

Ergo .. It's in our best interests for the SEC West to continue to be the best division in CFB.

basedog
08-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Bama wins as does Auburn cause they play better defense, Asu cause I can't see A&M being very good on D.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Bama wins as does Auburn cause they play better defense, Asu cause I can't see A&M being very good on D.

Louisville was #6 in total defense last year. No idea who they return.

Auburn was 66th. Granted they have a better dc this year. Florida was 15th under muschamp

basedog
08-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Louisville was #6 in total defense last year. No idea who they return.

Auburn was 66th. Granted they have a better dc this year. Florida was 15th under muschamp

Big difference in who Louisville played vs Auburn schedule. Auburn has lots of young talent according to my buddy who is a huge Au grad.

Statefan
08-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Do y'all not remember last year, towards the end when we were fighting to stay #4, when we went from 4 wins over ranked opponents to 1 over the span of one week?
That hurt our reputation a ton (even though the fix was in for OSU regardless).... we need to SEC to have as many ranked teams as possible

missouridawg
08-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Do y'all not remember last year, towards the end when we were fighting to stay #4, when we went from 4 wins over ranked opponents to 1 over the span of one week?
That hurt our reputation a ton (even though the fix was in for OSU regardless).... we need to SEC to have as many ranked teams as possible

Agreed that it is in the best interests of MSU for everyone else in the SEC to go undefeated, except when they play us. Regardless of how much you hate the school, aTm, Au, and Bama winning this opening weekend is good for us.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 08:57 AM
ASU has a good shot to beat A&M and I expect Auburn to win but UL could give them a tough one. Nothing more Petrino would like to do at this stage than take down Auburn. Alabama is a terrible matchup for a smashmouth running team like Wisconsin. Don't expect much of a game in that one.

dawgs
08-17-2015, 09:10 AM
In other words, the league beats up on each other and Bama wins a 3-way tie in the West at 6-2, but gets left out of the playoff Bc they lost to Wisconsin, so they have 3 losses on the year.

No 3 L team will ever make a 4 team playoff. I think 2 L teams will be few and far between. In otherwords, it shouldn't be anyone's concern how a L effects a 2 or 3 L team's playoff chances.

Jarius
08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
I don't understand why everyone is so high on ATM's offense. They were mediocre on offense last year. We were beating them 45 to 17 or something like that until garbage time in the 4th. They got shut out against Ole Miss. They barely scored on LSU. They got murdered against Alabama and I think got shut out in that game too. UL Monroe kept them in check offensively as well. They were mediocre last year and they will have to prove to me that they won't be pretty mediocre again this year before I believe otherwise. I think ASU is going to beat the shit out of them.

BulldogBear
08-17-2015, 10:16 AM

^This

I'd rather beat a bunch of ranked teams. If we're gonna ever get to the playoffs, we need to win 11 anyway to even be in the discussion. At that point, I don't know that lossed by those teams help more than wins by those teams. They look better so your resume is better. I see a situation like last year where if we had beaten the Beardsharks and gotten left out as more of rare situation.

This year: Let's say Bama lost to Wisconsin and went 7-1 in conference beating us. We go 7-1, 11-1. If Bama then wins the SECCC game impressively and ends up 11-2, THEY WOULD STILL GET IN OVER US. And should.

Final Analysis: SEC schools losing to non-SEC schools DOES NOT HELP US IN ANY WAY.

BulldogBear
08-17-2015, 10:17 AM
I don't understand why everyone is so high on ATM's offense. They were mediocre on offense last year. We were beating them 45 to 17 or something like that until garbage time in the 4th. They got shut out against Ole Miss. They barely scored on LSU. They got murdered against Alabama and I think got shut out in that game too. UL Monroe kept them in check offensively as well. They were mediocre last year and they will have to prove to me that they won't be pretty mediocre again this year before I believe otherwise. I think ASU is going to beat the shit out of them.
48-17 before garbage time.

They got shut out by Bama, not Ole Miss.

Also, it's the lack of defense that caused we and others to beat the crap out of them. They could score a few points but couldn't stop anyone.

LegofPant
08-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Wisconsin
Louisville
Arizona St

Jack Lambert
08-17-2015, 10:20 AM

I agree with you 100%. ASU is going to be a force to recon with.

Jarius
08-17-2015, 10:21 AM
They could score a few points, but their offense didn't scare anyone....except South Carolina.

48-17 before garbage time.

They got shut out by Bama, not Ole Miss.

Also, it's the lack of defense that caused we and others to beat the crap out of them. They could score a few points but couldn't stop anyone.

1bigdawg
08-17-2015, 11:10 AM
I believe that Louisville lost most of their defense to graduation. I have no idea is Strong recruited well enough for them to just reload.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Mid-thread hijack - If Sumlin goes 6-6 does he face any pressure? I would think his seat will be scorching going into next year.

PMDawg
08-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Wisconsin
Louisville
Arizona St

Worst troll ever.

msstate7
08-17-2015, 11:39 AM
^This

I'd rather beat a bunch of ranked teams. If we're gonna ever get to the playoffs, we need to win 11 anyway to even be in the discussion. At that point, I don't know that lossed by those teams help more than wins by those teams. They look better so your resume is better. I see a situation like last year where if we had beaten the Beardsharks and gotten left out as more of rare situation.

This year: Let's say Bama lost to Wisconsin and went 7-1 in conference beating us. We go 7-1, 11-1. If Bama then wins the SECCC game impressively and ends up 11-2, THEY WOULD STILL GET IN OVER US. And should.

Final Analysis: SEC schools losing to non-SEC schools DOES NOT HELP US IN ANY WAY.

If we don't represent the sec west in Atlanta, we have no shot anyway.

Regardless, screw auburn, bama, and aTm! I hope they all get embarrassed the first weekend

Johnson85
08-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Mid-thread hijack - If Sumlin goes 6-6 does he face any pressure? I would think his seat will be scorching going into next year.

He'll still have $20M guaranteed left on his contract at that point. I would think even for A&M, paying $5M a year for a coach that's no longer coaching will be too much for them to stomach. I think he'd have to have a bad year this year and flop in 2016 for them to pull the trigger (which would leave them $15M left to pay him).

TrapGame
08-17-2015, 12:17 PM
He'll still have $20M guaranteed left on his contract at that point. I would think even for A&M, paying $5M a year for a coach that's no longer coaching will be too much for them to stomach. I think he'd have to have a bad year this year and flop in 2016 for them to pull the trigger (which would leave them $15M left to pay him).

I'd say he gets two years as well. If they finish 4th or worse this year and next his seat will be flaming hot.

Johnson85
08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
I'd say he gets two years as well. If they finish 4th or worse this year and next his seat will be flaming hot.

I think it will take worse than that. Fans will be screaming for his head if he comes in 4th in the West, but if that's still around a top 25 team (which it probably will be), then I'm not sure A&M is going to pay $15M to get rid of Sumlin on the hopes that they will get to a top 10 or 15 team, especially when they'll be looking at two or three good coaches finish behind him.

At this point, there's just not a bad coach in the SECWest. There's a reasonable argument to be made that Miles is the worst coach in the SECW at this point. Even with a willingness to spend double the market value on a coach's salary, there's just no way to get a sure fire winner in the West right now.

HSVDawg
08-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Disagree .. it is in OUR best interests for the SEC West to win 'each and every' OOC game AND 'each and every' game against SEC East teams exactly like they (almost) did last year..

Nothing wrong with the first part of that statement, but the second part is purely asinine. If you want to maximize our chances of winning the West, why would you want any other result than the other 6 teams in the division to go 0-12 against the East? Obviously that won't happen, but its still the ideal scenario. We should never root for another West team against an East team unless it is late in the season and is mathematically impossible for that particular West team to catch us in the standings.

LC Dawg
08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
If the SEC teams lose at least two of these games in week one it will diminish our win over LSU. LSU would fall further than we would rise. If Auburn loses to Louisville and then we lose to Auburn we could be sitting at 3-1 with a win over LSU and be ranked 25th. Any win we have after that would not impress the voters as much because they will already have made the determination that the SEC is down. I just don't think, for the most part, that SEC teams losing OOC games is good for other SEC teams.

Alldawg
08-17-2015, 02:03 PM
A&M lost all their starting LB'ers and half their Secondary off an awful defense. Gimme ASU

Not sure I follow your logic here..... "A&M loses all there starting LB and half their Secondary off an awful defense" Shouldn't that be a good thing?

Alldawg
08-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Hammer down................................ I give you the under on lasting a week on here

Alldawg
08-17-2015, 02:11 PM

Agree. Especially if he starts the true freshman at QB. He can use the youth excuse along with a new defensive coord. Only way he gets canned is going 5-7 or worse and not sure that is even possible with the talent they have been bringing in. Their defense will be much improved, not great, but improved..

Mutt the Hoople
08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
They got John Chavis as DC. If the Aggies can hold them under 45, A&M wins.

Coach34
08-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Not sure I follow your logic here..... "A&M loses all there starting LB and half their Secondary off an awful defense" Shouldn't that be a good thing?

What makes you think there is something better behind them?

Bucky Dog
08-17-2015, 11:32 PM

It's time to pick your early teaser on these three Coach.

DanDority
08-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't give a dagum for any other SEC schrool, therefore I really don't care if they all lose.

Dawg61
09-11-2015, 04:59 AM
Bump for all the Sun Devils love in this thread.