PDA

View Full Version : Ol Bowling Ball looked really good just now

whosyourdawgy
08-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Just finished off a nice drive with a 9 yd td on 3rd and goal. Looks pretty dang good

GreenheadDawg
08-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Just finished off a nice drive with a 9 yd td on 3rd and goal. Looks pretty dang good

i hope somebody steps up because I'm afraid we may miss the bowling ball more than people want to admit

smootness
08-16-2015, 03:30 PM
i hope somebody steps up because I'm afraid we may miss the bowling ball more than people want to admit

I can't remember the last time we had a big drop-off after a RB left.

GreenheadDawg
08-16-2015, 03:33 PM

True. Hope this isn't the first year

Dawgcentral
08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Like others I've been watching some DVR the last few days. Josh was indeed a difference maker. That low center of gravity and the ability to get those extra yards is hard to come by, but we've got three guys with great potential, and the effort will be there.

With improvement in Dak's reads, and our receiver depth, I expect better opportunities to run through gaps.

Todd4State
08-16-2015, 06:01 PM
I think the running backs we have now give us a better chance to beat Alabama and Ole Miss than having Josh as the primary guy. Not that Josh was bad or that we won't miss him- but it's more about offensive style than anything.

Todd4State
08-16-2015, 06:02 PM
True. Hope this isn't the first year

With the way that Shumpert performed at the end of the year, I see no reason why we would have a drop off. Not to mention Lee, Williams and Dear contributing.

QuadrupleOption
08-16-2015, 06:26 PM

1999 after JJ Johnson left. And we went 10-2 that year.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2015, 06:48 PM
1999 after JJ Johnson left. And we went 10-2 that year.

So, 16 years. And that was only because JWS insisted on a 3-headed monster with Chris Rainey, who was clearly inferior to Zo and Dontae. Not to mention our OL was pretty bad that season, which was far and away the main culprit for the drop-off.

Jarius
08-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Josh appeared to mail it in after he knew he was going pro. He almost ran not to get hurt. Shumpert took carries away from him the last 3 games.

FlabLoser
08-16-2015, 06:55 PM
J Rob looked good today. He ran hard. Used quickness to make fast cuts, yet stay north & south. Ran through tackles. Pushed the pile. Also blocked & caught passes and got good YACs.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-16-2015, 10:21 PM
If I remember correctly, Dixon had a great preseason with the 'Niners then ended up as a bench warming reserve role. Different situations obviously but hope Josh gets a chance to keep on grinding in the regular season.

Dawg61
08-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Dixon>Norwood>Ballard>JRob>Perkins

I'll go back to Norwood. This is how I rank the RBs so we've had a drop off twice before. This will be year 3 but with Dak included we will have a better rushing attack than ever. Yes we take a step back with one player but we free up snaps for a lot of other very talented players making us a much better offense.

thf24
08-17-2015, 07:53 AM
I think it'll even out since, although we may lose some RB production, we might be able to open up the offense a little more since we can rely on Shump, Lee, and Williams' pass blocking much more than JRob's. They allegedly all have better hands than JRob as well (though I personally never saw any evidence JRob was particularly deficient in that area, even making a few circus plays to the contrary), so maybe we'll use more screens and RB's in the passing game.

basedog
08-17-2015, 08:10 AM
JRob was really good but after the Ky game he was just so so at best. Dak makes our offense go, we will be better at the RB position with more depth and ability.

Bama_Dawg
08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
I think it'll even out since, although we may lose some RB production, we might be able to open up the offense a little more since we can rely on Shump, Lee, and Williams' pass blocking much more than JRob's. They allegedly all have better hands than JRob as well (though I personally never saw any evidence JRob was particularly deficient in that area, even making a few circus plays to the contrary), so maybe we'll use more screens and RB's in the passing game.

This, a million times this. Our screen game was non-existent last year. I thought we were saving it for Bama. But with a young O-line, please, let's go with the screens!

Johnson85
08-17-2015, 12:29 PM

I'll go back to Norwood. This is how I rank the RBs so we've had a drop off twice before. This will be year 3 but with Dak included we will have a better rushing attack than ever. Yes we take a step back with one player but we free up snaps for a lot of other very talented players making us a much better offense.

I don't think Dixon is better than Norwood. They're very different backs, but either one could be a primary back in college and lead a very successful offense. As far as the NFL, Dixon gives you more as far as the ability to be an every down player and play special teams whereas I think Norwood was more of a third down back plus a potential returner. But by that same token, Norwood is better in his niche than Dixon is as an every down player (which he obviously wasn't most of the time).

FlabLoser
08-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Norwood had Heisman talent. And in the NFL Norwood made NFL DBs look like keystone cops. Just made people look stupid. Ridiculous fast and and quick. But Norwood was too fragile for a long NFL career.

I think Dixon is a lot more durable than Norwood and more of a typical RB build.

smootness
08-17-2015, 01:18 PM

I didn't mean that we've continually replaced RBs with someone better; I'm just saying I can't remember the last time our running game had a big drop-off. Perkins had a great year the tear after Ballard, and we ran the ball very well that year.

I think 1999 is the answer, and as previously said, it didn't hurt our team as a whole at all. Then in 2000, those same RBs went nuts and ran all over everybody.

We'll be fine in the run game, that's my point.

Johnson85
08-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Norwood had Heisman talent. And in the NFL Norwood made NFL DBs look like keystone cops. Just made people look stupid. Ridiculous fast and and quick. But Norwood was too fragile for a long NFL career.

I think Dixon is a lot more durable than Norwood and more of a typical RB build.

I think if we had Norwood on this team he would be getting Reggie Bush treatment. Even in the NFL, Bush seemed like the over priced version of Norwood to me.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't think Dixon is better than Norwood.

Anthony Dixon is MSU's all-time rushing leader by over 700 yards. He's also the single season rushing leader and single game rushing leader. Dixon had 42 rushing touchdowns. Norwood had 15.

Jarius
08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Dixon also got to play on a team that was good enough to make a bowl game and had the advantage of playing under Mullen his last year. Norwood was making plays all by himself. He was better than Dixon as an individual player and it's not even close. Dixon is my favorite all time Bulldog, but Norwood was a beast. Poor guy had to run behind trash every single year.

FlabLoser
08-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Anthony Dixon is MSU's all-time rushing leader by over 700 yards. He's also the single season rushing leader and single game rushing leader. Dixon had 42 rushing touchdowns. Norwood had 15.

Stats are everything.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
He was better than Dixon as an individual player and it's not even close.

Dixon scored 27 more touchdowns than Norwood. 27

Barking 13
08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Let's all remember that JRob is literally running for his life now. Point. blank. period.

BulldogDX55
08-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Finally found a vine of JRob's TD. It's classic bowling ball- three broken tackles.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/8/16/9162601/watch-josh-robinson-provides-the-highlight-of-the-day-for-the-colts

Jarius
08-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Dixon scored 27 more touchdowns than Norwood. 27

i would hope so, he had nearly 350 more rushing attempts during his career. Norwood had to split carries because we had other good tailbacks on our team when he was here (the oline was just awful). Dixon had little help to carry the load, which is why he started from year 1 on.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 09:39 PM
i would hope so, he had nearly 350 more rushing attempts during his career. Norwood had to split carries because we had other good tailbacks on our team when he was here (the oline was just awful). Dixon had little help to carry the load, which is why he started from year 1 on.

Who Nick Turner? He got busted at the Hunt Club passing 4 counterfeit hundos. Christian Ducre was Dixon's backup. He was pretty good.

Jarius
08-17-2015, 10:01 PM
He also had Griffith and Walker here his freshman year. Turner was a a better back than Ducre, he was just a very troubled guy. Doesn't take away from the point. He averaged more yards per carry and was drafted way higher than Dixon for a reason. I hate to sound negative about Dixon because I love the guy. Jerious is just a better back though.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
He also had Griffith and Walker here his freshman year. Turner was a a better back than Ducre, he was just a very troubled guy. Doesn't take away from the point. He averaged more yards per carry and was drafted way higher than Dixon for a reason. I hate to sound negative about Dixon because I love the guy. Jerious is just a better back though.

Agree to disagree. Norwood got drafted higher because he had one elite skill (speed) when Dixon was just good at everything but elite at nothing.

Jarius
08-17-2015, 10:22 PM
I would have loved to have seen Norwood and Omar in Mullen's offense. They would have at least given us something to talk about.

Prediction? Pain.
08-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Y'all's Dixon-Norwood exchange made me go back and look at stats and YouTube highlights. Y'all've already covered most of the stat stuff, like TDs, YPC, and attempts per season. (I had no idea, incidentally, that Dixon is 2nd all time (well, since 1956) in the SEC in rushing attempts.) And many of the highlights are clips I've seen over and over. (Dixon vs. KY, Norwood vs. UF, etc.) But, man, I found this grainy YouTube video of Norwood's days with the Falcons that had some gold in it. I knew he had a crazy YPC run going with the Falcons before he was derailed by injury problems, but I guess my failure to adequately keep up with the NFL over the past decade made me miss out on some of his highlight reel gems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgVBrjrvwk8

FlabLoser
08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Sick. That one at 3:50.. He had a gear nobody else had. A man among boys. Had had jukes too.

He also had a great stiff arm. Not for knocking people down, but for creating separation.

JohnnyQuid
08-18-2015, 04:39 AM
Josh appeared to mail it in after he knew he was going pro. He almost ran not to get hurt. Shumpert took carries away from him the last 3 games.

I agree with this 100% and it was blatantly obvious .. then tweeting hours before a bowl game he's going pro. .. just left a bad taste in my mouth with him coupled with his performance in the last couple games. when shump got the ball he ran hard and he ran north and south

Irondawg
08-18-2015, 09:10 AM
great Norwood video - thanks for sharing

Johnson85
08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Agree to disagree. Norwood got drafted higher because he had one elite skill (speed) when Dixon was just good at everything but elite at nothing.

At the college level, Norwood had elite speed and quickness and was plenty good at everything else. Dixon didn't have any elite skill, but was very good at everything. I'd take Dixon on a crap team just because of his ability to move the pile, but as much as I love Dixon, Norwood would be a bigger help to us this year. Like I said, it's two different types of players, so it's a little difficult to compare, but stats don't tell the tale at all on this. You put Norwood on decent teams and his stats would be through the roof also.

bgover4
08-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Jerious Eggbowl Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYLj6jG6jU

also how 'bout J. Johnson

Jarius
08-18-2015, 02:39 PM
JJ Johnson looked a lot like D. Lee looks right now. He has an argument for best of all time as well. Keifer could have been as well.