PDA

View Full Version : Mustapha Heron commits to Auburn

CadaverDawg
08-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Bummer

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2015, 11:04 AM
I feel as though I could live to be 300 years old & I'll never understand basketball recruiting. It differs so much from football & baseball recruiting.

In football, kids take visits & weigh their options. In basketball, it appears as though kids set up visits in order of school preference

RBritt
08-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Let's hope this one that Bruce stole has a career similar to Scottie Hopson.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Bummer

Can't get them all. This is part of the game. It was already stated awhile back that his "handler" didnt want him at State. He went where the most money was...Pearl is as crooked as they come but have to give him props on this one. This came out of nowhere.

ScottH
08-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Don't forget this isn't Howland's first rodeo.

GreenheadDawg
08-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Money talks

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Don't forget this isn't Howland's first rodeo.

good point

smootness
08-16-2015, 12:22 PM
He committed to the first school he visited, one that was on the map but not considered a threat for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one who backs out at some point.

He may not, but it's still a possibility.

dawgwood
08-16-2015, 12:54 PM
He committed to the first school he visited, one that was on the map but not considered a threat for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one who backs out at some point.

I think so to, if we was the first visit he would be a Bulldog, but I don't think Ben Howland loses any sleep on this one.

messageboardsuperhero
08-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Very very odd. Totally unexpected and out of left field... Who knows, we may still get a visit out of him.

If not, Mario Kegler just got that much more important.

scottycameron
08-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Mustafa? Not losing any sleep over that.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2015, 01:22 PM

He's visited Bama, Pitt, & St. John's before. Obviously Auburn was a bigger threat than anyone knew. They were a top 5 school for him & he took an unofficial visit there so he was a lot more interested than we presumed.

Ifyouonlyknew

Wtf does that mean?

ZedFedder
Stinks but sometimes in basketball recruiting things go crazy. I trust howland. Plus, you get kegler, wright, carter, and a solid big or two, and you're fine.

Irondawg
08-16-2015, 02:33 PM
This is a big loss. We had an official lined up in a couple of weeks and it was thought we were a potential leader. Personally I think this kid is really, really good. I really didn't think auburn would be a factor for him. At least bit until he took his official visits. I thought he was far and away the best wing player we were in on. The others aren't necessarily bad but I thought he had the most upside

Dawg61
08-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Under Armour playing the game now? They just signed Steph Curry.

Thick
08-17-2015, 08:35 AM
I think we could still be in it. Malik played with him on a national team, and they still talk. Things could change, just a wait and see thing now.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm personally just ready to play some games so there is something other to focus on besides recruiting. I just can't get into our football recruiting this year in that it seems its like pulling teeth to get any of the truly big fish to pull the trigger for us even after spending roughly half the season last year at #1. Even Johnie Cooks' nephew would only give us a 30 minute commitment before backing out. And now this flaky deal with Heron who pulls the trigger for Auburn before even taking his visit with Howland. Let's just play some freakin' games already.

BeardoMSU
08-17-2015, 08:55 AM

Poor wittle Scotty....
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/1f0/30c/715/resized/jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-you-re-an-idiot-99bca8.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I think we could still be in it. Malik played with him on a national team, and they still talk. Things could change, just a wait and see thing now.

He's done.

FlabLoser
08-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Howland is recruiting balls out. Can't win them all. No shame in losing a big recruit to Bruce Pearl. We've landed some big fish and we're still fishing for more. No worries.

Thick
08-17-2015, 09:08 AM
If you say so.

Irondawg
08-17-2015, 09:09 AM
This still surprised me. I really thought he was one who was going to take all the officials he set up and decide. I now hope I was severly wrong about his potential.

Guessing Pearl sold him on being "the man" or something else with UA

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 09:33 AM
This still surprised me. I really thought he was one who was going to take all the officials he set up and decide. I now hope I was severly wrong about his potential.

Guessing Pearl sold him on being "the man" or something else with UA

If the "handler" was not on board with us then we were NEVER going to get him. We essentially had the same issue with Ray Kasongo.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
If the "handler" was not on board with us then we were NEVER going to get him. We essentially had the same issue with Ray Kasongo.

Heron didn't have a handler. People including myself just underestimated how much Auburn was a factor. He's mentioned them this whole time but nobody realized they were that big of a threat.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Heron didn't have a handler. People including myself just underestimated how much Auburn was a factor. He's mentioned them this whole time but nobody realized they were that big of a threat.

OK, I don't know either way but there was a poster on the board that was claiming this was an issue in the Heron recruitment.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2015, 09:52 AM
OK, I don't know either way but there was a poster on the board that was claiming this was an issue in the Heron recruitment.

It has been him & his dad the whole time. His dad played pro ball overseas. That's where the St John's leading came from. 1 of their asst coaches played pro ball with his dad.

Thick
08-17-2015, 10:23 AM
No, it could be an issue with Kegler. Omar Carter is his handler.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
No, it could be an issue with Kegler. Omar Carter is his handler.

He's also his guardian.

Irondawg
08-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Like I said i was just surprised he didn't take all of his visits. The interviews made him appear to have a good grasp on the process and what he was looking for. I wasn't sure it would be us, but I am surprised it was Auburn. I thought we had everything they had to sell + a little more.

I was hoping he and Peters would be a formidable combo.

C222
08-17-2015, 01:07 PM
This one hurts. I thought we were in a good spot to land him. He is a stud.

We are still going to have a Top 10 class IMO. Hopefully Eli Wright will pull the trigger soon.

In other news, Bama just landed a 5* as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-17-2015, 01:57 PM

We are still going to have a Top 10 class IMO. Hopefully Eli Wright will pull the trigger soon.

Dayum?.Avery too?.Your up Howland(unless we count Malik) in that case we started it.

Johnson85
08-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Can't get them all. This is part of the game. It was already stated awhile back that his "handler" didnt want him at State. He went where the most money was...Pearl is as crooked as they come but have to give him props on this one. This came out of nowhere.

It sounds funny to me to hear this statement with regard to basketball recruiting. There's money everywhere and it's probably the primary factor in most major recruits, with coaching and sneaker contacts being the deciding factor when the money is comparable.

But especially in this case, I'm guessing if it was just a matter of going to the highest bidder, there wouldn't have been a commitment before taking all of his officials. The guy is going to play for Pearl, who is not exactly a terrible basketball coach. I'm sure there were lots of considerations that went into his decision in addition to money.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Going to be battling Bama and Auburn for recruits a lot it looks like.

Dawg61
08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Dayum?.Avery too?.Your up Howland(unless we count Malik) in that case we started it.

Avery got a good transfer too. He better recruit his ass off though because I think he's more on par with Jones at LSU as far as actual coaching goes. Pearl and Howland will school Avery during games.

smootness
08-17-2015, 02:19 PM
The traction Howland's gotten on some of these elite guys has been a bit of a surprise to me. I expected to pull in classes full of 4-stars with a 5-star sprinkled in here and there, so I never expected to get multiple 5-stars. So while a bit of a disappointment not to land Heron, it still doesn't reduce any of my enthusiasm.

At this point, we have Peters and I think we are currently the favorites for Kegler and Wright, and that would give us a heck of a haul at the 1-3 positions. Throw in Tyson Carter and 1 or 2 from the Banks/Herard/Lard group, and that is a great class.

mic
08-17-2015, 02:23 PM

This kid was form the Dallas area. CAJ probably had contact with this kid, or family, or coach from his days in Dallas..
And regarding Pearl getting the commit form Heron, yes that's a big get for them but both schools let a top 10 national player from the state of Alabama get away to Mich State..

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
The traction Howland's gotten on some of these elite guys has been a bit of a surprise to me. I expected to pull in classes full of 4-stars with a 5-star sprinkled in here and there, so I never expected to get multiple 5-stars. So while a bit of a disappointment not to land Heron, it still doesn't reduce any of my enthusiasm.

At this point, we have Peters and I think we are currently the favorites for Kegler and Wright, and that would give us a heck of a haul at the 1-3 positions. Throw in Tyson Carter and 1 or 2 from the Banks/Herard/Lard group, and that is a great class.

Who expected multiple 5 stars? Except for Heron I thought all of our other targets were 4 star players?

smootness
08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Who expected multiple 5 stars? Except for Heron I thought all of our other targets were 4 star players?

I didn't say anyone did. Heron is exactly the kind of guy I didn't expect to actually land when Howland came on board. The fact that we actually seemed to have a very good shot was a pleasant surprise and the kind of thing that hinted that he may pull in more nationally elite guys than I expected. So while disappointing, this is still shaping up to be a class as good, as or even better, than I initially was expecting.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 03:47 PM
I didn't say anyone did. Heron is exactly the kind of guy I didn't expect to actually land when Howland came on board. The fact that we actually seemed to have a very good shot was a pleasant surprise and the kind of thing that hinted that he may pull in more nationally elite guys than I expected. So while disappointing, this is still shaping up to be a class as good, as or even better, than I initially was expecting.

Given the flakiness of Heron's recruitment its hard to know how close we really were on him but yes, its good we at least got a mention. Seems like if he had really been serious about us he would have gone through with the OV before making a decision.