PDA

View Full Version : Jersey # 21 for Football

Goldendawg
08-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I noticed earlier on the 2016 roster and an article in Bulldawgs247 today that Nick Gibson is wearing #21. Has the use been oked with the Magee family or since he is a redshirt is it some other deal?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-15-2015, 04:32 PM
He won't wear it games. We've had other guys practice in it but it won't be his official #. We went through the same thing with Nick Griffin a few years back.

DanDority
08-15-2015, 05:52 PM
I'd like to know what the deal is with #21? Guys still wear #97, Rodney died from an injury he sustained during a game.

War Machine Dawg
08-15-2015, 07:40 PM
I'd like to know what the deal is with #21? Guys still wear #97, Rodney died from an injury he sustained during a game.

Family's choice. The Magee family wanted the number retired. I wish we'd use it the way Northern Miss uses the Chucky Mullins number, but we've established a precedent of letting the family involved decide the fate of the number. Thus, 21 shall remain retired until the Magee family decides otherwise.

Goldendawg
08-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Several years ago, my family donated a wooden carved locker in the memory of my Dad in the locker room at Scott Field. Ours was in the coaches locker room during the Jackie years (we need to build a statue in his honor). I got to tour the player and coach's locker rooms about 20 years ago. There was a glass display case in the center of the players locker room with both the 21 and 97 jerseys, game balls, and other items on display. Is this display case still there and do we still use these lockers there? They had the interlocking MSU carved on a lockable storage area. Have pictures of my young MSU grad nephew and I in it when he was about five.

Todd4State
08-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Family's choice. The Magee family wanted the number retired. I wish we'd use it the way Northern Miss uses the Chucky Mullins number, but we've established a precedent of letting the family involved decide the fate of the number. Thus, 21 shall remain retired until the Magee family decides otherwise.

This is about the only thing that Northern Miss does that I like. And I hate to give them credit.

We could give 21 to a deserving offensive player, 97 to a deserving defensive player, and I don't about Nick Bell's number- special teams maybe?

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2015, 03:21 PM
This is about the only thing that Northern Miss does that I like. And I hate to give them credit.

We could give 21 to a deserving offensive player, 97 to a deserving defensive player, and I don't about Nick Bell's number- special teams maybe?

We've used 97 as just another number so long, I'd just let it go. Let Bell's 36 be the D number, imo. I don't really remember anyone wearing it since him.