PDA

View Full Version : Zaire Jones Decommits

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2015, 11:12 PM
What the hell is going on at Meridian?

4 D1 players, 4 early commitments, & 4 decommitments.

I have no idea where MSU stands in this & we may very well get 3 of these guys, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this at one school.

Are these guys colluding or is each player's situation unique & independent?

Odd

Ifyouonlyknew
08-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Don't expect us to chase after Zaire. He was worried about the # of DB commits & playing time. Expect him to commit & go to Vandy.

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Don't expect us to chase after Zaire. He was worried about the # of DB commits & playing time. Expect him to commit & go to Vandy.

Goodness.....

Well, good riddance to any football player that chooses Vandy over MSU for football. When you make this decision, at this point in time, it's clear that being an NFL player may be less important to you than being an engineer, doctor, lawyer, etc... And, BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but, IMO, you have a much better chance of building an elite football team if you have a squad full of players whose top priority in life is being an NFL player.

I wish Zaire luck in his career

Bothrops
08-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Vandy? Really

dickiedawg
08-15-2015, 06:12 AM
I wish him the best. Honestly, if he's worried about too much competition at MSU, he's probably made a good decision.
We made the other side of this argument for years when recruiting against the big boys of the SEC- now we're closer to the big boys talent- and depth-wise.
The other thing is if he doesn't wind up an NFL mainstay, that Vandy degree will carry far more weight than an MSU one (or UM, or Alabama, or just about anywhere) in life after football.

coastratdog
08-15-2015, 06:25 AM
If Vandy was my choice for the degree route than I would try Duke. At least with Cut you have a stable proven head coach and a chance to go bowling because you play in the ACC.

msstate7
08-15-2015, 07:24 AM
If Vandy was my choice for the degree route than I would try Duke. At least with Cut you have a stable proven head coach and a chance to go bowling because you play in the ACC.

Stanford

Well assuming they're offering and you handle living in California

I seen it dawg
08-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Goodness.....

Well, good riddance to any football player that chooses Vandy over MSU for football. When you make this decision, at this point in time, it's clear that being an NFL player may be less important to you than being an engineer, doctor, lawyer, etc... And, BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but, IMO, you have a much better chance of building an elite football team if you have a squad full of players whose top priority in life is being an NFL player.

It's ****ing August. And the kid is going to Vandy. Good riddance? That's such a douche move even for you. Give that shit a rest.

I seen it dawg
08-15-2015, 07:32 AM
He gets to go play and compete for a starting spot early, play in the SEC, oh and he's smart enough to go to Vandy....yeah the kid has no idea what he's doing. Right. Sounds like a decision of a pretty smart kid if you ask me. Shotgun he will be the boss that fires you.

Joe Schmedlap
08-15-2015, 07:39 AM
I guess this is the price State pays for signing two excellent safeties last year, one of which will likely redshirt. Good luck to the kid in Nashville if he doesn't break this second commitment also.

maroonmania
08-15-2015, 07:47 AM
now we're closer to the big boys talent- and depth-wise.

Well you sure wouldn't know it by the preseason assessments of our team.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2015, 08:39 AM
He gets to go play and compete for a starting spot early, play in the SEC, oh and he's smart enough to go to Vandy....yeah the kid has no idea what he's doing. Right. Sounds like a decision of a pretty smart kid if you ask me. Shotgun he will be the boss that fires you.

Ah, you again. The guy that has reading comprehension problems.

At no point did I say he didn't know what he is doing, and at no point did I say he was wrong.

My entire point was that his decision is a reflection of what he values. Not sure what part of my post you disagree with. Of course your probably didn't even read my entire post and instead got heated, like normal, after reading the first sentence.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Goodness.....

to be honest, looking at the chance of him ever going pro vrs. having to find a job, a Vandy degree will look good on a resume plus his chances to start and get on the field is a lot easier at vandy.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
to be honest, looking at the chance of him ever going pro vrs. having to find a job, a Vandy degree will look good on a resume plus his chances to start and get on the field is a lot easier at vandy.

I agree.

I do have a question though: who has a better chance at getting a good job in Mississippi, a Vandy football player or an MSU football player?

We often make the job argument, and I agree, if Ziare wants to live out of state, the Vandy degree holds more weight, but does a Vandy degree really help him get a better job if he wants to live in Mississippi?

If one of you MSU fans owns a sales business, are you hiring an MSU football player or a Vandy football player?

This, IMO, is the greatest argument for kids staying in-state to play. If you plan on living in Mississippi, I believe your job opportunities are greater by playing at MSU or Ole Miss than playing at Bama, LSU, or anywhere else.

OdaMaeBrown
08-15-2015, 09:28 AM
If so, i am going to guess you actually don't have a job and live in a trailer house?

Statefan
08-15-2015, 10:11 AM
A Vandy degree is going to take him a lot farther regardless of where he lives. He might not work for a State grad... Hell, he might not want to leave Nashville

At the end of the day, he decided that playing at Vandy was better for his future prospects than at State. I have no idea where his faith that Vandy's next coach (after Mason gets fired) will be more likely than Dan to get him in the league, but I guess he is playing it safe. Less competition and a better degree. Good luck to the guy

LC Dawg
08-15-2015, 10:47 AM
I agree.

I do have a question though: who has a better chance at getting a good job in Mississippi, a Vandy football player or an MSU football player?

We often make the job argument, and I agree, if Ziare wants to live out of state, the Vandy degree holds more weight, but does a Vandy degree really help him get a better job if he wants to live in Mississippi?

If one of you MSU fans owns a sales business, are you hiring an MSU football player or a Vandy football player?

This, IMO, is the greatest argument for kids staying in-state to play. If you plan on living in Mississippi, I believe your job opportunities are greater by playing at MSU or Ole Miss than playing at Bama, LSU, or anywhere else.

I'm not sure that kids are going to Vandy with the goal of one day getting hired for a sales job by an MSU grad.

Aces High
08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Every person on this board would send their kid to vandy over msu given the option. If not, you are probably selfish. Good luck to him.

Vandy also had the best access to jobs after graduation. They also do the best job in the sec with internships at legit companies.

AlSwearengen
08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Doesn't really sound like we are taking a big hit here. If he could legitimately choose between Lsu, bama, and auburn, then I would be concerned.

Cabo32
08-15-2015, 11:26 AM
2/10...par for the course with this guy

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2015, 11:31 AM
My guess is that we fill his spot with another DL. We have 4 or 5 DB's committed and with the young guys we have on the team, my guess is that we don't sign many more than that as far as the secondary. It might affect us with Crowell and Davis, but I wasn't sold on our chances with either, though I think our chances with Davis are much better than Crowell.

I think Crowell's recruitment could be interesting because we aren't going to wait on him. We have other great WR's we are going after. If he waits around, I could see him not having a spot in-state and have to go somewhere he doesn't want to go.

msstate7
08-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Since this is a recruiting thread, who are our top targets left on board and what % we get them?

dawgwood
08-15-2015, 11:41 AM
My guess is that we fill his spot with another DL. We have 4 or 5 DB's committed and with the young guys we have on the team, my guess is that we don't sign many more than that as far as the secondary. It might affect us with Crowell and Davis, but I wasn't sold on our chances with either, though I think our chances with Davis are much better than Crowell.

I think Crowell's recruitment could be interesting because we aren't going to wait on him. We have other great WR's we are going after. If he waits around, I could see him not having a spot in-state and have to go somewhere he doesn't want to go.I agree 💯. Don't know how many scholarships we got this year. but we still in line for some major players.The Gta four, Lashly and Jones Simmons and Brown. plus Raquan Davis and Nigel Knott. along with Crowell. I figured a move like that was coming.

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Since this is a recruiting thread, who are our top targets left on board and what % we get them?

Lashley and Kobe are as close as locks as you can get.

AJ brown will be a battle, but I think we win out.

Simmons wil be a war, I like our chances, but the greys are in the thick of it.

I just don't think we get Knott.

I think we get the Mason kid out of McComb, probably soon.

We have a shot with Crowell and Davis, but I'm not sure how good.

We are going to sign at least one more Juco DL in my opinion.

There are probably a few more, but I'm not sure we sign more than 22 and we don't have a QB committed, which I think we will need to sign, but I'm not positive.

I don't think we are after any other big name guys.

Leroy Jenkins
08-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Processed.

dawgwood
08-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Out of Davis and Simmons I hope we get at least,one of them. I know the closer it get to signing day Dan and company go turn the heat up on those two.

I seen it dawg
08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Ah, you again. The guy that has reading comprehension problems.

At no point did I say he didn't know what he is doing, and at no point did I say he was wrong.

My entire point was that his decision is a reflection of what he values. Not sure what part of my post you disagree with. Of course your probably didn't even read my entire post and instead got heated, like normal, after reading the first sentence.

I comprehend you using "good riddance" in talking about a recruit. Better way to put it I guess. But you are the best. Carry on genius.

maroonmania
08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
A Vandy degree is going to take him a lot farther regardless of where he lives. He might not work for a State grad... Hell, he might not want to leave Nashville

At the end of the day, he decided that playing at Vandy was better for his future prospects than at State. I have no idea where his faith that Vandy's next coach (after Mason gets fired) will be more likely than Dan to get him in the league, but I guess he is playing it safe. Less competition and a better degree. Good luck to the guy

The kid needs to do what he wants to do but you can be successful with a Vandy degree, and yes, you can even be successful with an MSU degree. Assuming a degree in the same field from both there is no doubt the Vandy degree will open more doors of opportunity straight out of college. However, once you are 5+ years into your career its mostly on YOU how fast you advance and how far you go. The quality of work you produce at that point is WAY more important than the school name on your degree.

1bigdawg
08-15-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't think we are after any other big name guys.

We are still in it with Derrick Brown, http://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Brown-36984, a DT who is the number one player in Georgia. His parents both went to State and he has a lot of family in the area. A recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution quoted his parents and they pretty clearly want him here. He had long been considered a Georgia lock prior to that article.

We ill get an official. It would still be a tough pull, but a big one if the coaches can pull it off.

smootness
08-15-2015, 01:52 PM
We are still in it with Derrick Brown, http://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Brown-36984, a DT who is the number one player in Georgia. His parents both went to State and he has a lot of family in the area. A recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution quoted his parents and they pretty clearly want him here. He had long been considered a Georgia lock prior to that article.

We ill get an official. It would still be a tough pull, but a big one if the coaches can pull it off.

I doubt we get him, but that kid is a total monster. I worked with Rising Seniors here in GA in December, which has basically all the top juniors in the state. I worked the practices opposite Brown, so I didn't see him much until the game. But I watched Julian Rochester all week in practice, another 5-star DT, and it was clear after the first play of the game that Brown is better and the best player in the state. He's insanely good.

Cabo32
08-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Out of Davis and Simmons I hope we get at least,one of them. I know the closer it get to signing day Dan and company go turn the heat up on those two.

I'd like to get both...but if I had to pick one, it would be Simmons. I believe it's been said on here before that Davis may very well end up as an OT.

Simmons looks like a can't miss DE

dawgwood
08-15-2015, 02:19 PM
I agree with you, you can't Miss with either guy. Derrick Brown out of Ga. Dan need to pull some tricks out. maybe offer his girlfriend a academic scholarship or something. Make it easier on him,

Ifyouonlyknew
08-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Some guys still on the board

WR - AJ Brown, Daniel Crowell, Jon Michael Hankerson, Clyde Chriss

OL - Scott Lashley, Gentle Williams, D'Angelo Jones, Taylor Fondal, Javous Bardney

DL - Jeffery Simmons, Kobe Jones, Damion Dickens, Kaderrion Mason, Malcolm Roach, Derrick Brown, Emmitt Gooden, Raekwon Davis

LB - Jeremiah Moon, Drelan Porter

DB - Christian Wallace, Nigel Knott

Madisonmd
08-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Lashley is not a lock

dawgwood
08-15-2015, 02:39 PM
if not we will never know the meaning.

GreenheadDawg
08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Lashley is not a lock

Care to elaborate why you think that?

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Care to elaborate why you think that?

He must have a source that literally no one else has.

It could happen, it's recruiting, but every single person I know says it's a done deal.

Coach34
08-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Lashley is not a lock

when was the last time a legit West Point kid got away? Early 80's?

Tripp McNeely
08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Some guys still on the board

WR - AJ Brown, Daniel Crowell, Jon Michael Hankerson, Clyde Chriss

OL - Scott Lashley, Gentle Williams, D'Angelo Jones, Taylor Fondal, Javous Bardney

DL - Jeffery Simmons, Kobe Jones, Damion Dickens, Kaderrion Mason, Malcolm Roach, Derrick Brown, Emmitt Gooden

LB - Jeremiah Moon, Drelan Porter

DB - Christian Wallace

No Raekwon or Nott?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-15-2015, 03:27 PM
No Raekwon or Nott?

Just forgot to list him.

AlSwearengen
08-15-2015, 04:45 PM
I agree with you, you can't Miss with either guy. Derrick Brown out of Ga. Dan need to pull some tricks out. maybe offer his girlfriend a academic scholarship or something. Make it easier on him,

Olemiss would make it impossible for a kid like Brown to choose anyone but them. And when everyone started hollering "foul", they would just cite that his parents went to olemiss. of course that lands them a few malcontents as well.

dawgwood
08-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Wat,Brown you talking bout.?. Aj locked with,State .He having fun with gifts and attention recruiting hoopla.But I'm lost to wat you saying my,guy.

I seen it dawg
08-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Wat,Brown you talking bout.?. Aj locked with,State .He having fun with gifts and attention recruiting hoopla.But I'm lost to wat you saying my,guy.

Damn nice work.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Olemiss would make it impossible for a kid like Brown to choose anyone but them. And when everyone started hollering "foul", they would just cite that his parents went to olemiss. of course that lands them a few malcontents as well.

I completely agree with this & think it's a great point. When there is a recruit that has connections to your school, it absolves you from any potential wrong doing, due to plausible deniability. Ole Miss would absolutely land Brown & we should as well.

This is such a strange recruiting class. Due to lack of spots, our believe our coaches are being very picky & it's led to a few more decommits than we are accustom to. Last year's class was really good & there are indications that our 2017 class will be really good as well, but the 2016 class appears to be somewhat of a transition class.

The fact that we redshirt so many guys & don't see a ton of guys leave early, like LSU & Bama have, it gives MSU an advantage on the field but a disadvantage in recruiting rankings.

I seen it dawg
08-16-2015, 10:56 AM
I completely agree with this & think it's a great point. When there is a recruit that has connections to your school, it absolves you from any potential wrong doing, due to plausible deniability. Ole Miss would absolutely land Brown & we should as well.

This is such a strange recruiting class. Due to lack of spots, our believe our coaches are being very picky & it's led to a few more decommits than we are accustom to. Last year's class was really good & there are indications that our 2017 class will be really good as well, but the 2016 class appears to be somewhat of a transition class.

The fact that we redshirt so many guys & don't see a ton of guys leave early, like LSU & Bama have, it gives MSU an advantage on the field but a disadvantage in recruiting rankings.

I guess the advantage on the field is probably better than the recruiting rankings huh? Sounds an awful lot like UNM mentality...

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2015, 11:07 AM
I guess the advantage on the field is probably better than the recruiting rankings huh? Sounds an awful lot like UNM mentality...

Absolutely!!! There is absolutely no doubt or should ever be a doubt as to which is more important. Just pointing out why MSU is a better football team than their recruiting ranking indicates they should be.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2015, 12:10 PM

You guys give OM entirely too much credit on these sort of things.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2015, 12:17 PM
You guys give OM entirely too much credit on these sort of things.

Probably, but we aren't tied in like you.

The results speak for themselves in their ability to attract connected players. Where are we giving them too much credit?

Bothrops
08-16-2015, 01:12 PM

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind OM would land Derrick Brown if he was their legacy. I don't care where he played hs.

If his parents would like for him to come to State, then by all means pull out the stops. This is a HUGE position of need! He's among the can't miss guys as far as I'm concerned, and I don't care if he is a 5* with every major offer.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Probably, but we aren't tied in like you.

The results speak for themselves in their ability to attract connected players. Where are we giving them too much credit?

In that every major recruit connected with OM they get. It's just not true.

GreenheadDawg
08-16-2015, 01:20 PM
In that every major recruit connected with OM they get. It's just not true.

More times than not it is very true

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM
More times than not it is very true

Or when it doesn't we don't hear about it. They just make sure to make it known when they do get 1.

BiscuitEater
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM

I would agree BUT with their association with Peabody, most athletes can get as good as, or better education at MSU. Times have changed and Vandy no longer has the huge academic hurdles that players used to have to make.

BiscuitEater
08-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Every person on this board would send their kid to vandy over msu given the option. If not, you are probably selfish. Good luck to him.

Vandy also had the best access to jobs after graduation. They also do the best job in the sec with internships at legit companies.

Built some huge athletic advantages that other SEC teams just can't match.

There is 'no surprise' that Vandy can 'out recruit' other SEC baseball teams because they are not limited by SEC baseball scholarship rules. ANY 'needs- based' student that is admitted to Vandy, gets a guarantee that they will not graduate from Vandy owing ANYTHING.

In 2009, Vanderbilt instituted a no-loan policy. The policy states that any student granted admission and a need-based aid package will have an award that includes no student loans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University

dawgwood
08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
I think y'all Giving tsun to much credit, them overrated players. They ain't never been number1 in no ranking. over the last five years they hardly sent any players to the league.And everyone always talk of our recruiting classes.We got a thorp award winner a heisman finalist at qb last year we had the 4th best offence in Sec history. I like or recruiting class more. If you go hang from a sack Better be Dan cause that recruiting hoopla tsun putting on is a fluke.

Aces High
08-16-2015, 03:16 PM
I think y'all Giving tsun to much credit, them overrated players. They ain't never been number1 in no ranking. over the last five years they hardly sent any players to the league.And everyone always talk of our recruiting classes.We got a thorp award winner a heisman finalist at qb last year we had the 4th best offence in Sec history. I like or recruiting class more. If you go hang from a sack Better be Dan cause that recruiting hoopla tsun putting on is a fluke.

Troll

GreenheadDawg
08-16-2015, 03:35 PM

My Lord your english teacher would have a stroke If she read this.

I seen it dawg
08-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Troll

Ya think

mic
08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Troll

Or for him to understand.
Trooel

dawgwood
08-16-2015, 04:57 PM
sounds more like ur panties are the ones that's in bunch buddy.

Dog316
08-16-2015, 06:35 PM

<><>~>~>~>~>~
Hope he is a great student. You have to have a tutor at Vandy if you are admitted and don't have at least a 28 on the ACT. I know there are different rules for athletes, but . . .

Leroy Jenkins
08-16-2015, 07:19 PM

I no what ur saying. All they do is talk recruiting at tsun. They dont even care to much a bout the game. I like our classes moore than theirs they are top-hevy and not depth. Even tho we dont have to many high rated our class have good fotball player top to bottom. Only won thing matters and that is whens and losses. Dan has our team going on the rite path. and or offence can be more explosion than last year.

maroonmania
08-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Or when it doesn't we don't hear about it. They just make sure to make it known when they do get 1.

Hugh Freeze and #TheNetwork would reel him in, I have no doubt about that. Outside of Peyton Manning, who they didn't get due to pending probation, they haven't missed on many truly connected players over the years. And ol' Hugh lives for the recruiting scene.

TUSK
08-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Processed.

you forgot the "TM" behind "Processed"....

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Hugh Freeze and #TheNetwork would reel him in, I have no doubt about that. Outside of Peyton Manning, who they didn't get due to pending probation, they haven't missed on many truly connected players over the years. And ol' Hugh lives for the recruiting scene.

So can we let this myth go if they don't get Nigel Knott?

jumbo
08-17-2015, 12:56 PM

What about Drew Richmond and CeCe Jefferson just last year?