PDA

View Full Version : Changing Perception

Bass Chaser
08-14-2015, 07:45 PM
A few weeks ago I heard Patterson at TCU say he thought it took 8-12 years to change the perception of a program. What do you think?

drummerdawg
08-14-2015, 07:56 PM
A few weeks ago I heard Patterson at TCU say he thought it took 8-12 years to change the perception of a program. What do you think?

Really depends on the success in that time period. I'm sure if you win back to back NCs then it wouldn't take that long. But if you are a 8-10 win type of team then yea it might take that long.

MetEdDawg
08-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Really depends on the success in that time period. I'm sure if you win back to back NCs then it wouldn't take that long. But if you are a 8-10 win type of team then yea it might take that long.

I posted this on the other board way back when the hire was made, but when Mullen got hired I said it would take him 10 years to change our perception nationally. We are right in line with that and if we find a way to win 9 this year and win 8 or more in Fitz's first year, I think we will have gotten there.

drummerdawg
08-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I posted this on the other board but when Mullen got hired I said it would take him 10 years to change our perception nationally. We are right in line with that and if we find a way to win 9 this year and win 8 or more in Fitz's first year, I think we will have gotten there.

I agree.

maroonmania
08-14-2015, 08:37 PM

I think our issue is we are winning 8-10 every OTHER year. That is part of what is holding us back in perception. Nobody is impressed with 6-6 and that is what we were in both 2011 and 2013. Let's see what happens in 2015. Odd numbered years have not been kind to us under Mullen.

1bigdawg
08-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Odd numbered years have not been kind to us under Mullen.

Odd number years are the feast of famine years. We get Alabama and LSU at home. If we are good enough to beat them, then we can contend for the SEC. If we cannot, we will also struggle to win enough away games to get bowl eligible.

Even number years are easier to have a decent record because we get the easier conference games at home. We can win those and lose to Alabama and LSU on the road and still have a good record.

It may be less of a big deal in the future because all the SECW games are tougher now. However, I believe Mullen has built a program that can compete year in and year out now.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2015, 11:20 AM
The thing about schools like TCU It takes several yeas to build it but they can lose the perception over night. where schools like Bama will never lose it.

Maroonthirteen
08-15-2015, 12:43 PM
It will be especially difficult for MSU. We have no media backing. OM has mouthpieces in Memphis (Mem media supplies the entire north west portion of state with news) and elsewhere that spins every situation in Starkville negatively.

Leroy Jenkins
08-15-2015, 12:58 PM
I think it's different for different schools. There was a time when we were the only school in the conference LSU could beat then they went on a run with a few NC games and it helped them a lot.

Offshore Dawg
08-15-2015, 12:59 PM
The thing about schools like TCU It takes several yeas to build it but they can lose the perception over night. where schools like Bama will never lose it.

And they don't think MSU can beat; Bama, Auburn, A&M, Arky, LSU, & North Miss. So wow !! There are 6 losses for a 6 & 6 season.

Nothing more complicated than perception.

DistrictDawg92
08-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Have we ever been to a bowl game 6 years in a row before? Depends on how you define perception. I'd say it has already changed we just don't realize it. Most knowledgable sports heads expect us to make a bowl game every year. Just 6 years ago we were seen as an automatic W for almost every SEC team, now we are acknowledged as a tough game for anyone, especially at home. I'd say our perception has already changed, but if we can get 10 wins again this year, I think the perception of our program will take the next step. I think 3 years from now we will be seen as a Virginia Tech type program.

NCDawg
08-15-2015, 04:53 PM
It's been 17 years since our SEC West Championship game. Would sure like to go again this year. Nothing like the excitement of that game.

Drugdog
08-16-2015, 04:43 AM
Totally disagree. Our NATIONAL perception has nothing to do with the Memphis, Jackson papers.
National games and winning changes it. Plus all the other stuff we have done. Stadium, etc.

ESPN , Fox, winning big gamers , bowl games determine how we are judged.

sleepy dawg
08-16-2015, 01:41 PM
I think perception is always changing, even very slightly week to week during the season. Perception kinda follows more of a power ratings type system. The longer you are at a spot, the more it takes to break from that perception. Most recent performance means more than the year before, and that one more than the year before it, etc. Also, the more drastic the change from your average, the more effect it has.

Mutt the Hoople
08-17-2015, 06:58 AM
One of the ways we need to change perception, is to actually win big games that matter (Alabama), or take care of business against Lesser opponents who have fan bases who are morally, spiritually, ethically, and genetically inferior (Ole Miss).

BulldogBear
08-17-2015, 08:04 AM
One of the ways we need to change perception, is to actually win big games that matter (Alabama), or take care of business against Lesser opponents who have fan bases who are morally, spiritually, ethically, and genetically inferior (Ole Miss).

Yes you're right. But, whatever we do, they just seem to move the bar. Remember when we couldn't beat Auburn and LSU. Oh but they're down. Anyway, sometime before the season I'm going to sit down with time on my hands (hopefully)and do one of these little "My thoughts on upcoming year" type of threads. I'm not a coach. I'm a philospher. I'm good at that aspect of it. One of the things I've been itching to explode upon is the myth of big time programs having a down year. That is a false perception that drives me up the wall. It takes many years of mediocrity for a "big boy" to truly start having so called down years. It's simple arithmetic. Sorry. Back to topic. I believe beating Bama would help but I'm guessing that will probably put them at 3 losses which may be seen as a "down year" for Saban. So they'll just move the bar again such "Well, Mullen still hasn't won the West" or "They have yet to win a NY6 Bowl." If we do either of those it's just liable to be something else.

ETA: I swear if we ever win it all Brando or some douche will give a disclaimer like saying "Can you believe it? The Bulldogs from Starkvegas have just won the National Championship... and probably never will again. Congratulations and enjoy your moment MSU!"

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Our perception has already changed. We're now considered a perennial bowl team where just a few years ago that was nowhere near the case. The next step is to go from a bowl team to a contender. That hasn't happened yet but this year can move us up another rung higher on the ladder. Once you become a consistent contednder the next step is winning the SEC. We're going in the right direction but going from 1 of the worst programs in college football to a SEC/National championship contender isn't a process where you can skip steps.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Yes you're right. But, whatever we do, they just seem to move the bar. Remember when we couldn't beat Auburn and LSU. Oh but they're down. Anyway, sometime before the season I'm going to sit down with time on my hands (hopefully)and do one of these little "My thoughts on upcoming year" type of threads. I'm not a coach. I'm a philospher. I'm good at that aspect of it. One of the things I've been itching to explode upon is the myth of big time programs having a down year. That is a false perception that drives me up the wall. It takes many years of mediocrity for a "big boy" to truly start having so called down years. It's simple arithmetic. Sorry. Back to topic. I believe beating Bama would help but I'm guessing that will probably put them at 3 losses which may be seen as a "down year" for Saban. So they'll just move the bar again such "Well, Mullen still hasn't won the West" or "They have yet to win a NY6 Bowl." If we do either of those it's just liable to be something else.

ETA: I swear if we ever win it all Brando or some douche will give a disclaimer like saying "Can you believe it? The Bulldogs from Starkvegas have just won the National Championship... and probably never will again. Congratulations and enjoy your moment MSU!"

Best thing that can happen for you is like what happened for UNM last year. They got a pretty good "perception" bump last year even though they had a worse regular season record than us just because they beat Bama and that happened to be the only regular season loss for Bama. Had Bama lost another game or two that win for the Rebs wouldn't have been seen as nearly as big.

sleepy dawg
08-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Moving the bar is perception changes dummy. They're raising the bar for us.

TUSK
08-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Yup, Mutt is on to it...

until, MSU can get several wins vs teams that are legitimately good (ranked) teams, the media is going to see MSU in the same (historical) light.

maroonmania
08-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Yup, Mutt is on to it...

until, MSU can get several wins vs teams that are legitimately good (ranked) teams, the media is going to see MSU in the same (historical) light.

Well we beat 3 Top 10 teams last year, only problem was, they didn't stay ranked that way after playing us. Unfortunately for us, the 2 teams that did finish more highly in the rankings last year (Bama and OM) we had to play on the road. I'm not sure Bama or OM could have beaten us in Starkville last year either. But I sort of agree with your basic premise.

BulldogBear
08-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Moving the bar is perception changes dummy. They're raising the bar for us.
Meh, I'm not so sure. Ideally, yes, it should be sort of a "Congratulations, that's cool. Let's see if you can accomplish the next thing now." But, when you pay attention, when these points are made about MSU has not this or Mullen has not that...it doesn't come across that way at all, nor is it meant to. It is something (and is also meant to be this way)more along the lines of "well, but you still suck because of XYZ and you haven't done such and such." It's not a misunderstanding. It's a confirmation of resistance to change of perception.

Beardo, WMD, Ref, I need the Yosemite Sam gif with the line! Thanks

TUSK
08-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Well we beat 3 Top 10 teams last year, only problem was, they didn't stay ranked that way after playing us. Unfortunately for us, the 2 teams that did finish more highly in the rankings last year (Bama and OM) we had to play on the road. I'm not sure Bama or OM could have beaten us in Starkville last year either. But I sort of agree with your basic premise.

Right, I've gotten to where I don't much rely on preseason ranking, especially after the season has concluded...

I think Auburn win last year was the first one....