PDA

View Full Version : Tackling technique

drummerdawg
08-13-2015, 09:38 PM
This may be a dumb question and I'm sorry in advance. But I have watched a few of our LB drills and noticed the tacklers head placement is opposite of where I was taught when I was playing football as a kid. I know that our coaches know what they're doing so I'm sure I was taught wrong. I was taught to keep your head across the body of the person you are tackling. Is it a new safety thing or was I just taught wrong? I did look up a couple of tackling drills on YouTube but they seem to be saying the same thing I was taught. Here is a vine of one of our drills.

https://vine.co/v/edQApFUOMuv

Coach34
08-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Gotta be something new- thought the same thing when I watched it. Goes against everything I was taught or have seen

FlabLoser
08-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Maybe it's about avoiding head injury. Keeping the head up.

Sack09
08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
This is Hawk Tackling. Developed and promoted by Pete Carroll and the Seahawks. It is based on rugby tackling. A lot of it has to do with safety issues. There's a YouTube clip of Pete Carroll walking through the concept and drills. Many defenses have gone to this technique.

bulldawg28
08-13-2015, 10:08 PM
It also prevents cutbacks. It's rare in a tackle that someone actually gets their "head across."

DancingRabbit
08-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Maybe it's about avoiding head injury. Keeping the head up.

I'm sure it's about avoiding head/neck injury. Not just keeping the head up, but avoiding the head being the first point of contact.

I think it can be just as effective if done right. If not done right it will be "arm tackling".

Bass Chaser
08-13-2015, 10:38 PM
My thought is we need to be lower where our arms are around the knees instead of the waist. Exploding up through the runner.

Prediction? Pain.
08-13-2015, 11:26 PM
This is Hawk Tackling. Developed and promoted by Pete Carroll and the Seahawks. It is based on rugby tackling. A lot of it has to do with safety issues. There's a YouTube clip of Pete Carroll walking through the concept and drills. Many defenses have gone to this technique.

Thanks for the information. I watched the video. As someone with zero knowledge about this kind of stuff, I found it pretty interesting. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

Todd4State
08-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the information. I watched the video. As someone with zero knowledge about this kind of stuff, I found it pretty interesting. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

That was good. I think it will be interesting to see if Manny's Pete Carroll tackling techniques help us with injuries and things like that.

At any rate it will probably go better than Freeze's offensive line boxing tournament did.

mstatefan91
08-14-2015, 12:38 AM
"Hawk tackling" is exactly what this is. You can hear Manny telling them 'right shoulder' in the vine.

Coach34
08-14-2015, 05:52 AM
It also prevents cutbacks. "

that was my 1st thought as well