PDA

View Full Version : State 6, Alabama 3. Remember?

Rick Cleveland
08-13-2015, 01:56 PM
http://msfame.com/news-updates/a-game-worth-remembering-35-years-later-state-6-bama-3/

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 02:16 PM
The only game in MSU history to have 50k in attendance but have 100k say they were there.

Ralph
08-13-2015, 02:30 PM
This is getting stale IMO

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
08-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm 51 years old and was in attendance that day. It's hard to describe the emotion even today. I get teary eyed every time I read about that game. I'll never forget the hug my mother gave me as tears rolled down her face at the end of the game.

Rick Cleveland
08-13-2015, 02:37 PM
This is getting stale IMO
Ralph, you must not have been there...

Ralph
08-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Ralph, you must not have been there...

Indeed I was there. I'm not detracting from the game or emotions involved, it just feels stale. I read several articles per year or little segments about it all the time. There's much more to build on now and we don't have to look to 35 years ago as the last time we experienced this. Again don't disagree with the content at all.

tcdog70
08-13-2015, 03:48 PM
A lot of stuff might get stale--but that game ain't one of them. Thanks Rick, and Yes I was there and any time we Beat the Tide is extra special .

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Jack,"Jacob says he can't hear". It amazing that back in those days the refs could throw a flag if the crowd noise was too loud.

blacklistedbully
08-13-2015, 04:37 PM
I was there. Got the bumper sticker, too. Great day, indeed.

Rick Cleveland
08-13-2015, 05:03 PM
I was there. Got the bumper sticker, too. Great day, indeed.
The Cooks-Bear Bryant story is priceless.

TUSK
08-13-2015, 05:36 PM
The only game in MSU history to have 50k in attendance but have 100k say they were there.

Yup, I made that trip with my dad... I've met 132,974 Bulldog fans that attended, as well...

Coach34
08-13-2015, 06:31 PM
I was 11 and there. We never missed a game in Jackson except the damn Egg Bowl every damn year because my Dad always went hunting that weekend. It was 81 before I saw my 1st EB- and that cheating ****ing bastard Dick Pace robbed me of victory in my 1st one.

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 06:41 PM
I was 11 and there. We never missed a game in Jackson except the damn Egg Bowl every damn year because my Dad always went hunting that weekend. It was 81 before I saw my 1st EB- and that cheating ****ing bastard Dick Pace robbed me of victory in my 1st one.

I was 12 and was not there. I was working at a country store on HWY16 pumping gas to help my mom finacially but I do remember being out side when the buses came by that night on their way back to Starkville and I did some serious waving.

Not joking!

Dawgcentral
08-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I was 16 and working that day also. Wish I had been there, and would trade all the games I attended in Memorial Stadium for that one. I heard Jack Cristal was on his feet at the end, leaning out as far as he could over the press box table so the mike would catch the crowd noise. Maybe just legend, but I would have loved to have seen Jack at that moment.

blacklistedbully
08-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey Rick, do you remember the Egg Bowl game, I think it was '80 or '81, where a few students went onto the field pregame with a Col. Reb stuffed toy, rope about its neck, and threw the rope over one of the goal posts, jumped up grabbing the end, then yanking it up and down?

BulldogBear
08-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I was 7 and was not there, so I don't claim to be part of the 50k nor the additional 50k. I was there the week before when we beat Auburn 24-21. It was the first one I ever went to.

Schultzy
08-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Section C Row 18, it all happened right in front of me.

I was at the 1981 game in Tuscaloosa too, if we had punched it in at the end it would've been 16-13 in that one.

But I have to agree, until we win the SEC Championship game or a natty even its been too long. I was thinking stale too until we accomplish one of the two.

Bully13
08-13-2015, 09:29 PM
I was 18 and there. I was the 2nd one out on the field behind my dad. the line judge saw what the nose guard did. (I didn't realize that until Maury, Kent's younger brother told me about it a year later) that last play never officially happened. the refs walked off the field after the snap while about 5-6 bamer and MSU players still were fighting for the ball. big pile of humanity still there fighting while they were 5 feet from me. and that explains why there were no refs once I got down there at the goal line in the middle of the field. it was a wild ass scene I will never forget.

Billy Ray Valentine
08-13-2015, 09:33 PM
I was 7 and was not there, so I don't claim to be part of the 50k nor the additional 50k. I was there the week before when we beat Auburn 24-21. It was the first one I ever went to.

I was at that one too. Stuffed James Brooks on the goal line to seal the win. I was 14. Told dad, "let's come back next week for the Alabama game." He said no we'll get our butts beat. I was at home listening to Jack and at the end I bench pressed the recliner. The adrenaline rush I had was like nothing I've ever experienced, before or since. This will never get stale for me. Thank you Rick Cleveland

Schultzy
08-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I was at that one too. Stuffed James Brooks on the goal line to seal the win. I was 14. Told dad, "let's come back next week for the Alabama game." He said no we'll get our butts beat. I was at home listening to Jack and at the end I bench pressed the recliner. The adrenaline rush I had was like nothing I've ever experienced, before or since. This will never get stale for me. Thank you Rick Cleveland

That goal line stand will forever be forgotten, James Brooks was awesome and we stuffed him from the one on fourth down for the win.
Clobbered LSU the week before that in Jackson as well, I don't see how we managed to keep getting up for games week after week.
Beat ole miss the week after that, damn fun four weeks right there.

Rick Cleveland
08-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Hey Rick, do you remember the Egg Bowl game, I think it was '80 or '81, where a few students went onto the field pregame with a Col. Reb stuffed toy, rope about its neck, and threw the rope over one of the goal posts, jumped up grabbing the end, then yanking it up and down?

Was definitely there, but don't remember that.

Rick Cleveland
08-13-2015, 10:59 PM
I was 18 and there. I was the 2nd one out on the field behind my dad. the line judge saw what the nose guard did. (I didn't realize that until Maury, Kent's younger brother told me about it a year later) that last play never officially happened. the refs walked off the field after the snap while about 5-6 bamer and MSU players still were fighting for the ball. big pile of humanity still there fighting while they were 5 feet from me. and that explains why there were no refs once I got down there at the goal line in the middle of the field. it was a wild ass scene I will never forget.

Fact is, Bond didn't know it until I wrote that piece 25 years later. He always had believed that Donald Ray had saved the game... True story.

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2015, 11:06 PM

I wasn't at the Bama game but I was at the Dick "Shafter" Pace game. That was my 2nd Egg Bowl, 1st as a MSU student. I was listening on the radio for the Bama game. Jack's call was just awesome.

Mutt the Hoople
08-13-2015, 11:15 PM
I was a freshman at Millsaps, and walked over from campus. I'm in the tape of the game, walking onto the field and giving Larry Friday a hug. I'm wearing a blue shirt, jeans, and have long hair.

tcdog70
08-14-2015, 02:12 PM
ESPN had not been on the scene very long. I think the 6-3 game was the first taped delayed game ESPN broadcast.