PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Fitz

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2015, 01:54 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/08/13/nick-fitzgerald-impressing-msu-strong-arm-camp/31643039/

Steal of that class.

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 01:59 PM
STARKVILLE – When asked about Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State wide receiver Donald Gray slumped his shoulders, dropped his head and shook it side to side.

“I don’t need to go with him anymore. I need to find someone else to run my route with,” Gray said with a smile. “I was a little scared of that arm. That man can throw.”

The 6-foot-5 quarterback has yet to play at game with Mississippi State, but already boasts one of the strongest arms on the team. His only competition is fellow redshirt freshman Elijah Staley.

A flick of the wrist from either can send a football 50 yards down field.

An option offense at Richmond Hill School in Georgia masked Fitzgerald’s rocket arm. Mississippi State hopes to polish it for the Southeastern Conference.

“He definitely has a strong arm. He came in with such limited past game experience,” MSU quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson said. “It’s just been constant mechanic work and he’s done a nice job in taking all the necessary steps to move forward.”

Fitzgerald spent nearly two years tweaking his mechanics as one of the most experienced players in the country who has yet to play a collegiate game.

The signal caller enrolled at Mississippi State in January of 2014, which meant he participated in the team’s Liberty Bowl practices in December of 2013. He also has two spring camps, a fall camp and a regular season under his belt.

“I’m excited to get him in a game,” MSU coach Dan Mullen said. “To get him that game experience because he’s certainly had a bunch of practice experience.”

Fitzgerald grew most last spring with Damian Williams and Elijah Staley limited with injuries. No quarterback received more reps than Fitzgerald, even Prescott.

“I was able to improve so much over the spring, mainly just because of those reps,” Fitzgerald said. “The fact that they were out, it sucks, they’re my teammates, but it really helped me out.”

His work during the spring catapulted Fitzgerald to first in line as the heir to the Prescott Empire. Mullen said last week there’s a 50 percent chance Williams will redshirt this season. Staley continues to recover from a torn patella tendon.

The only other quarterback behind Prescott is true freshman Nick Tiano. Barring catastrophe, he’ll redshirt in 2015. That leaves Fitzgerald as one play away from become MSU’s starter.

“I haven’t played in a game since September of 2013,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m just excited to get out there with my teammates and actually play. That’s something I use to motivate myself during practice.”

Mississippi State’s playbook no longer baffles Fitzgerald. He’s focused on the “little things” to elevate his game to the next level, which translates to developing chemistry – specifically timing -- with his targets.

It also means allowing the wide receivers time get acclimated to the velocity that comes with a Fitzgerald completion.

“It jerked my hands back and I’m strong,” Gray said. “I put my arms back to make it stick. It snatched my arms right back. I was like wow.”

Fitzgerald hopes to draw the same reaction from coaches, fans and opponents in 2016, when the offense might be his.

“I’m definitely going to do my best, just show what I can do,” Fitzgerald said. “Just prove that next year, when I’m competing for that, I deserve to pl

Csdog
08-13-2015, 02:36 PM
I met a man from Ohio who is an SEC official. No connection to Mississippi. He worked the two hour scrimmage before the spring game. He said Fitzgerald impressed him as much as any player on the field. His words," I can't wait to see what he does in the future"

Coach34
08-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Great. Better for us

mparkerfd20
08-13-2015, 08:43 PM
I think I'm more excited about the future with Fitz than I was Dak out of HS.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-13-2015, 09:01 PM
From all indications I've heard, nick is a good dude and will do a good job of filling the void after dak is gone. The only complaint I've heard is that he spends too much time at the film room.

bulldawg28
08-13-2015, 09:29 PM
From all indications I've heard, nick is a good dude and will do a good job of filling the void after dak is gone. The only complaint I've heard is that he spends too much time at the film room.

He seems to have taken the tutelage Dak had given him and run with it. That's exactly what the program needs someone who won't allow good leadership to end and fall to the ground. Keep the mantle lifted Fitz!!!

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
He seems to have taken the tutelage Dak had given him and run with it. That's exactly what the program needs someone who won't allow good leadership to end and fall to the ground. Keep the mantle lifted Fitz!!!
During his SR. year here, the day they played Glynn Academy, Fitz' coach was on the local sports talk pre-game show. The way he talked about Fitz was identical to the way people talk about Dak. The thing that stuck out to me was the coach talking about how everyone gravitated to Fitz as a leader even before he took over as QB.

Say all you want about our coaches being able to ID football talent, but I think their biggest skill may be being able to ID Leaders who can push the team the way they want it.

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2015, 08:02 AM
I think I'm more excited about the future with Fitz than I was Dak out of HS.

This is probably true but it's true because of Dak.

Dak has provided us with evidence of what players with a certain tool set can do in Mullen's offense, and it's because we see that tool set in Nick, that we are excited.

Kid reminds me of Ryan Tannehill. He has all the tools and a good head on his shoulders.