PDA

View Full Version : This is USM mind set.

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 12:57 PM
I talked to a Sr. VP at my office yesterday who is a USM alumni and he said that a lot of the 120.00 season tickets are being bought by State Fans. Yes their season ticket sells are up but the stadium is only going to be full for one game.

http://southernmiss.forums.rivals.com/threads/heres-a-funny-for-yall.5571/

BulldogBear
08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
I talked to a Sr. VP at my office yesterday who is a USM alumni and he said that a lot of the 120.00 season tickets are being bought by State Fans. Yes their season ticket sells are up but the stadium is only going to be full for one game.

http://southernmiss.forums.rivals.com/threads/heres-a-funny-for-yall.5571/

That should be worth adding another 4th qtr TD Mullen!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-13-2015, 01:03 PM
From that thread:

You nailed it when you said that State fans have become what OM fans used to be. They live in an alternate reality.

I can't quit laughing!!

paco
08-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Hattiesburg is my home. USM is second rate in every sense. Check out "waistenawayinnitchampsburg" posts - surely he resides in the Ellisville facility.

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 01:19 PM
That has to be some of the dumbest drivel that I have ever read...

MadDawg
08-13-2015, 01:22 PM
"I could care less what the score is on 9/5. State is playing here for political reasons. WE have already won." - WastinawaynNitChampsburg

Uh, um, hmmm, ok, well, um, yeah.

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 01:23 PM
That has to be some of the dumbest drivel that I have ever read...

There has to be four more idiots somewhere because I only counted six different posters in the thread.

TrapGame
08-13-2015, 01:24 PM
USM's head coach makes what Manny makes as a DC at State. Hell, Manny may actually make a little bit more. USM had it's time under Bower.

BeardoMSU
08-13-2015, 01:36 PM
USM has fans, let alone, message boards?

Wtf do they discuss, lol?

#5pagethreadsonthedefintionofirrelevance

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 01:37 PM
USM has fans?

At least 6..

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Smart move by them. I think you have to have a certain amount of ticket sales to stay Division 1. Seems like it is around 17k average. I don't know how the system works but with the state of their program, they need all the help they can get. If CUSA falls apart, they are screwed.

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 01:44 PM
I don't care if their football program gets disbanded due to a lack of ticket sales. I will never give them my money.

All I ever heard for the past 20 odd years was that we didn't play them because we were scared to. Because they would whip us... etc.

We play them and whip them, give them a good home and home series when we didn't have to, and now, we are playing them for "political reasons."

17 em

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Looks like at least one fan has perspective on that thread....:)

scottycameron
08-13-2015, 02:00 PM
I found this pretty shocking. CBS put out there bowl projections. Us in Liberty, UNM in some startup tax bowl, and, get this, USM in a bowl! WTF???? I think it was some terrible new bowl in new orleans, can't remember. I think Memphis went to one down there onw year.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I agree. I also think it is dumb for any school to have a football team at the expense of the universities ability to teach students. It sucks what happened to UAB but on the flip side, if the football team costs the University you have to look at a cutoff. Just like in the business world, there has to be some type of benefit. Most of the time football success can drive donations and student applications. If neither are happening at a large enough amount to offset the cost of all the scholarships, coaches salaries, and all the other costs a decision has to be made.

5 Star
08-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I agree. I also think it is dumb for any school to have a football team at the expense of the universities ability to teach students. It sucks what happened to UAB but on the flip side, if the football team costs the University you have to look at a cutoff. Just like in the business world, there has to be some type of benefit. Most of the time football success can drive donations and student applications. If neither are happening at a large enough amount to offset the cost of all the scholarships, coaches salaries, and all the other costs a decision has to be made.
I agree. I live in Birmingham and have followed the UAB stuff. Ray Watts made the right decision. It was horrible timing seeing that Bill Clark had them going in the right direction, but the right decision nonetheless. Should have been done years ago.

I suspect USM will suffer the same fate soon. They are going backwards as fast as it is humanly possible for a college football program to go.

dawgwood
08-13-2015, 02:41 PM
At least 6.. KML I work with a guy out of Hattiesburg, last year he bet me a hundred bucks straight up.I didn't give him a single field goal. Southern Miss fans been begging to play us for years.

TheRef
08-13-2015, 02:52 PM
UAB's football program was making money for the athletic department, though....they were in the black for football.

5 Star
08-13-2015, 03:33 PM
UAB's football program was making money for the athletic department, though....they were in the black for football.
I know that independent review said that they broke even, but I don't buy it. It probably wasn't as bad as the Bear Disciples said, but they weren't making money. This report was done after the fact and very politically charged.

Nobody ever came to watch UAB football. It was a joke until Bill Clark.

FISHDAWG
08-13-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't care if their football program gets disbanded due to a lack of ticket sales. I will never give them my money.

All I ever heard for the past 20 odd years was that we didn't play them because we were scared to. Because they would whip us... etc.

We play them and whip them, give them a good home and home series when we didn't have to, and now, we are playing them for "political reasons."

17 em

they're just mad cause we didn't play them during the Croom Doom era

BossDawg
08-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Hattiesburg is my home. USM is second rate in every sense. Check out "waistenawayinnitchampsburg" posts - surely he resides in the Ellisville facility.

That dude looks like he does good just to make it out of his house. Isn't he too old to be that angry about stuff?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-13-2015, 04:06 PM

If you ever want to end a conversation with a Mississippi Southern grad quickly, just ask them if their school is still accredited. They always appreciate being reminded about that.

Southern Miss. Division III athletic program. SWAC level academics.

FISHDAWG
08-13-2015, 04:15 PM
If you ever want to end a conversation with a Mississippi Southern grad quickly, just ask them if their school is still accredited. They always appreciate being reminded about that.

Southern Miss. Division III athletic program. SWAC level academics.

I dont mind making fun of them but this post is just wrong .... they are one of the top schools in the education field regardless of athletics

Dawg496
08-13-2015, 04:29 PM
I dont mind making fun of them but this post is just wrong .... they are one of the top schools in the education field regardless of athletics

Do you mean in Hattiesburg? Because they are not among the top 187 schools in Education which are ranked according to US News and World Report. In fact State and Northern are both ranked ahead of Southern.

starkvegasdawg
08-13-2015, 04:54 PM
They are a bitter lot. I'd hate to be a small pet that lives in one of their houses. That has to be one short life expectancy. They probably have the complete Jeff Bower years on VHS and fap to his picture in an old media guide every night.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-13-2015, 05:42 PM
They have a message board? Who knew?

However, I am a resident of Chattanooga, TN. We recently suffered our own jihad that cost 4 Marines and a sailor their lives. I found the references to ISIS to be highly offensive and disrespectful of those men and others who actually face ISIS. Regardless of whether the post was intended to be humorous or not, it was at best in poor taste and show of a definite lack of class (unless you count low class). Maybe I'm thin skinned, but I hope this is not indicative of the attitude of USM student body.

TUSK
08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm sure it's been covered, but why are yall playing an OOC game on the road?

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 05:49 PM

Because Scott Stricklin

Edit: it actually might have been Byrne who set this up in 2009.. not sure

BossDawg
08-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Maybe I'm thin skinned, but I hope this is not indicative of the attitude of USM student body.

Where have ya been? That's the first I've seen of any Southern fan/s needling State about the whole ISIS thing, but UMiss fans evidently think it's so great, I'm convinced that they are going to make a holiday out of it. It has pretty much consumed their lives ever since it was reported.

K9 Avenger
08-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Because Scott Stricklin

Actually, this is Greg Byrne's mess

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 06:08 PM
Actually, this is Greg Byrne's mess

See edit above. I remembered after I posted that it was set up in 2009

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-13-2015, 06:13 PM

Is this post a joke? Did you forget to put **s in the post?

Dawgcentral
08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Their basketball program is in the shitter and about to be severly sanctioned.

The football program is making a last minute desperation move of bringing in JUCOS, in MASSIVE numbers to replace the lack of strength and talent.

The last AD and head coach sold them out for a trip to Hawaii, as well as better horizons.

Academics has always been an issue. Go to class, get your B, live on to sell used cars for someone else.

I remember when they had a reason to be cocky. Then I saw them play a Jackie Sherril lead TA&M team in Jackson. They brought NO ONE,..may 13,000 including A&M fans. He said he'd never play USM away from home again.

We beat them and their HOF QB in '89 and '90 on respective campuses, and never looked back. If the fan base made a real effort to win, they might get some respect. They got rid of Bower, who would have been loyal for life. Idiots.

BeardoMSU
08-13-2015, 06:43 PM

It's interesting: I've always heard people say USM has a GREAT education program, as well as music and history, but all the people I know with degrees in those programs are pretty much mentally handicap, from an academic/employable sense.

In 2004 several of their colleges were in danger of losing accreditation. I haven't followed up on whether any did or not, but just being in that discussion doesn't bode well for an institution of higher learning.

Sorry, I'd send my kids to OM before USM. Period.

BeardoMSU
08-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Because Scott Stricklin

Edit: it actually might have been Byrne who set this up in 2009.. not sure

To his credit, though, when we made that home-&-home, USM was coming off an 11 win season. How the 17 were we supposed to know they'd drop off the face of the earth when Fedora left?

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 06:46 PM

I am glad we are playing them in Hattiesburg. I have been hearing that you are scared to play us crap for a long time. I got tired of hearing anyone, anywhere, anytime. Now the slogan is: MSU,Hattisburg, ass kicking time. Going there and kicking their asses on their home turf. Going to feel good.

Dawgcentral
08-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I am glad we are playing them in Hattiesburg. I have been hearing that you are scared to play us crap for a long time. I got tired of hearing anyone, anywhere, anytime. Now the slogan is: MSU,Hattisburg, ass kicking time. Going there and kicking their asses on their home turf. Going to feel good.

Not sure we'll lay as many points on them as last year, but we need to end this one with an exclamation point, if only to shut the one's up that still talk garbage. Send them home early in the 3rd quarter. We leave with 10 minutes left so the echoes resonate in "The Rock" as we ride home listening to the post game.

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Not sure we'll lay as many points on them as last year, but we need to end this one with an exclamation point, if only to shut the one's up that still talk garbage. Send them home early in the 3rd quarter. We leave with 10 minutes left so the echoes resonate in "The Rock" as we ride home listening to the post game.

Oh we will beat the snot out of them again. We didn't even try last year, pulled starters early in the 2nd half, and still shut them out.

They haven't improved that much in a year and even if they have, a little effort on our players' part, and we destroy them again.

Dawgcentral
08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Oh we will beat the snot out of them again. We didn't even try last year, pulled starters early in the 2nd half, and still shut them out.

They haven't improved that much in a year and even if they have, a little effort on our players' part, and we destroy them again.

I have little doubt you're exactly right. We need to beat the snot out of them with the back ups. Let's end this crap and walk away laughing.

CadaverDawg
08-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Win by 24+ and leave injury free from that shitty turf. That's all I wanna see

BulldogBear
08-13-2015, 07:58 PM
It's getting entertaining over there now.

BeardoMSU
08-13-2015, 09:02 PM
I just read that thread, haha. Talk about a bunch of insecure tools. I especially like the "cow college" references, lol.

Hey dipshits, not only does your football team smoke major pole, so does your college, and your interstate-rest-area of a town.

I don't know if anyone else has this same experience, but all the people from my high school that went to USM, only did so because it was close to home (the coast) and they were, for the most part, too parent dependent to go off to a real college, lol. Also, most of those same peeps liked being close to home mainly so they could attend all the high school parties of the younger classes behind them. Yay! Peakin' in high school, bitches.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-13-2015, 09:35 PM
I just read that thread, haha. Talk about a bunch of insecure tools. I especially like the "cow college" references, lol.

Hey dipshits, not only does your football team smoke major pole, so does your college, and your interstate-rest-area of a town.

I don't know if anyone else has this same experience, but all the people from my high school that went to USM, only did so because it was close to home (the coast) and they were, for the most part, too parent dependent to go off to a real college, lol. Also, most of those same peeps liked being close to home mainly so they could attend all the high school parties of the younger classes behind them. Yay! Peakin' in high school, bitches.

Yep! Drive to the 'Burg Monday morning. Pack the suitcase and head back home to mawma n' diddy at the end of classes on Thursday.

They hate on Starkville, but conveniently forget all the mobile home stores in north Hattiesburg and just how sad Perry, Covington, Marion Counties are. Pretty much everything that surrounds their school.

War Machine Dawg
08-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Cue Todd to tell us why continuing to play USM is a good thing. Their fans are so mentally handicapped they'll never be able to admit we're far and away better than them as a program. The rising tide of the SEC has ensured we're never losing to OOC also-rans again, barring a fluke or rash of injuries. We'll hang as many points on them as Mullen wants.

Todd4State
08-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Cue Todd to tell us why continuing to play USM is a good thing. Their fans are so mentally handicapped they'll never be able to admit we're far and away better than them as a program. The rising tide of the SEC has ensured we're never losing to OOC also-rans again, barring a fluke or rash of injuries. We'll hang as many points on them as Mullen wants.

I only saw one of their fans even mention beating us in that thread. I would venture to guess as far back as last year there would have been at least a few that would have thought that they were on equal footing.

Why is that? Because we actually played them and SHOWED them their place. In other words- by playing them we have changed perception while increasing our profile in state. Which is what the entire point of playing them in the first place is.

I'm sure you will come up with some clever well thought out comeback such as "F you" or maybe a gif. At any rate- you still won't see the big picture. Fortunately for us Dr. Keenum did see the big picture and we will reap benefits from it in many ways. As we already have.

FISHDAWG
08-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Do you mean in Hattiesburg? Because they are not among the top 187 schools in Education which are ranked according to US News and World Report. In fact State and Northern are both ranked ahead of Southern.

you're right ... I just looked it up and apparently they aren't what they used to be. My wife is in education and with-in those circles (in Georgia anyway) it is understood that USM is accepted as a pretty good curriculum and garners some attention when on a resume - or at least once was ... you will have to pardon me because I speak of many years ago as current - it's a mental illness that sets in when someone like me hits 50

BHildreth3
08-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Cut the crap about Hattiesburg being a shitty town. There are a lot of State fans that live there and it's a great place. I'm sure a lot of you haven't been to hburg in while. It's improved, there are a lot of great places to eat, etc.

I hope you guys make the trip with an open mind about the city.

Thick
08-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Forrest General Hospital is the only thing worth discussing about the 'Burg. Yes, there are some State people down there, but I see much more OM then State. I personally think with all of the doubts that the media has about us, that we take out our frustration out on the them. Score might be worse then last year.

Maroonthirteen
08-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Well, if we scheduled opponents based on their fans' opinion of us, we would not have a SEC game scheduled.

IMO, playing USM is far better than opening up with Alcorn State or some other FCS. There are negatives to playing to them......but there are positives too. Our fans down in the pine belt to name one. That may not be able to travel to Starkville.

TippahDawg
08-14-2015, 11:12 AM
They are State fans... Enough said.

They pull for the consistenty last place SEC team. They have an overall losing record and average a winning season every 3 years since inception. They have a campus in the most backwoods podunk city in Mississippi. They are certainly their own delusional special breed of people. Camo year round, trucks jacked up, degrees to dig ditches and grow grass, and delusions that they are on the same level as Alabama, LSU, and Auburn... Bless their little hearts for trying.

Check out this thread from eaglepost.net

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39190

I hope that we put 50+ on them. They are so irrelevant that it has given them a complex. They are about as bad as UNM fans

mstatefan91
08-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Hey dumbasses, enjoy your ass kicking on September 5th, and click a f*cking ad while you're here.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/v/t1.0-9/1377969_10200794628329906_1750177286_n.jpg?oh=cfed 1a644021e2281d07df08aff9bba7&oe=568005F2

TrapGame
08-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Check out this thread from eaglepost.net

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39190

I hope that we put 50+ on them. They are so irrelevant that it has given them a complex. They are about as bad as UNM fans

Wow! They are now a pimple on the ass of CUSA and they post like they've all got 10" peckers and a Natty.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Why even talk about them? It only makes them think they matter. Do we talk about Jackson State's message boards? Same thing.

BeardoMSU
08-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Why even talk about them? It only makes them think they matter. Do we talk about Jackson State's message boards? Same thing.

Haha. This^^^

archdog
08-14-2015, 12:15 PM
I think the worst part of USM is their constant scheduling of SEC opponents as the first game of the year. Didn't they do a game a few years ago against South Carolina to start the season on Thursday. They then proceeded to get demolished in front of the nation. That has to impact recruiting starting each season with a total beat down.

PMDawg
08-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Cut the crap about Hattiesburg being a shitty town. There are a lot of State fans that live there and it's a great place. I'm sure a lot of you haven't been to hburg in while. It's improved, there are a lot of great places to eat, etc.

I go all the time. It still sucks.

BulldogBear
08-14-2015, 12:32 PM

I'll be dove hunting that morning then getting cleaned up and heading that way to chow and watch football at Marlin's before walking over to field.

That's one good thing at least about the late KO.

5 Star
08-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Agree BHildreth3. Hattiesburg has a pretty good economy right now and is an integral part of Mississippi's landscape. We need it to thrive. The only thing I wish it wasn't is a 'USM' town, and that's diminishing every day.

They need to become the Delta State of South Mississippi. FCS in athletics but necessary for the academic community. These young idiots running down the town are just ignorant of reality and only see 'sports'.

By the way, are you Brad Hildreth just out of curiosity?

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2015, 01:59 PM
I only saw one of their fans even mention beating us in that thread. I would venture to guess as far back as last year there would have been at least a few that would have thought that they were on equal footing.

Why is that? Because we actually played them and SHOWED them their place. In other words- by playing them we have changed perception while increasing our profile in state. Which is what the entire point of playing them in the first place is.

I'm sure you will come up with some clever well thought out comeback such as "F you" or maybe a gif. At any rate- you still won't see the big picture. Fortunately for us Dr. Keenum did see the big picture and we will reap benefits from it in many ways. As we already have.

There was no big picture in scheduling them. We did it to curry political favor with the current sitting governor, who is a Mustard Buzzard. There is no reason for us to subsidize their athletics programs. And that is exactly what we're doing by playing them, in any sport, not just football. Look no further than the way they're handling the tickets for this game. They're basically making their yearly profit on the backs of this game and our fans. We shouldn't be in the business of propping up a direct D-I athletics competitor within our state. If they dropped to D-IAA or lower, it would be different. That's why I have no problems playing JSU, Alcorn, Valley, etc. But until USM admits their days as a D-I school are over, it's extremely short-sighted to play them. And it's even dumber to do it in an attempt to kiss the ring of a politician.

Bama_Dawg
08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
There is a bunch of BS that goes into this game with USM. Their ticket handling process (making people by season tickets instead of single game) and where we are in the stadium (I'm in the nose bleeds). But to say playing them is short sided, I have to disagree.

We are a land grant institution and we do get money from the State of Mississippi. So yes, there is, and always will be, some politics that come into play. Money makes the world go 'round.

If we were in a similar situation, I'm sure we'd fine a unique way to boost our money and attendance. This is USM's way of dealing with their shortcomings for now. Maybe they won't be the cellar dweller of college football in a few years or maybe they won't even have a football program. Either way, as crappy as it is, its still legitimate.

Mississippi State also benefits from playing in Hattiesburg. Its not upfront money, by any means, but there are indirect benefits that will effect us monetarily over the next years:

Access to an SEC team on the Gulf Coast, not named LSU. Hattiesburg is within 2 hours of New Orleans (ok, gotta drive fast), Gulfport/Biloxi, and Mobile. So the pull of alumni, and potential alumni, is spread.

There will be fans that go to the USM/MSU game this year and either become a State fan or make a commitment to attend more MSU events.

There are others, but those are some of the big ones and they all bring money to MSU, just not right now.

If you are like me and live 4.5 hours away from Starkville and MSU comes close, you can bet I'll be there. State played at South Alabama last year, and the stadium was MAROON. I assume "The Rock" will be the same way.

But even though we'll finish them off after midnight, I'm not staying in the Burg.

EnterpriseDawg
08-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Didn't we even the overall record with them last year? Guess they are trying to hold onto that for everything it's worth. You know, when we went through the pain of the Croom era we ate a big slice of humble pie. Apparently winning 3 games in 5 years isn't enough to bring them down from the 90s high.

Liverpooldawg
08-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm ok playing them again, as long as we NEVER set foot in Hattiesburg again in any sport.

BulldogBear
08-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Didn't we even the overall record with them last year? Guess they are trying to hold onto that for everything it's worth. You know, when we went through the pain of the Croom era we ate a big slice of humble pie. Apparently winning 3 games in 5 years isn't enough to bring them down from the 90s high.

This year will even the series....officially. On the field we lead by 3 victories. This is due to some of the BS forfeiting. This is why I hate forfeits as a punishment and would almost always rather see something else meted out. Forfeits leave a false impression and the truth is the ineligible players may not have affected the outcome of the game that much. Any other punishment seems to me more logical than changing the outcome of a game. Nobody wins, because the winner can no longer claim the victory and the loser doesn't truly feel like they won the game...unless you're USM. The truth is, most of them probably don't even know enough football or series history to know that they didn't ACTUALLY win two games in the series on the gridiron.

Jack Lambert
08-14-2015, 03:36 PM
This year will even the series....officially. On the field we lead by 3 victories. This is due to some of the BS forfeiting. This is why I hate forfeits as a punishment and would almost always rather see something else meted out. Forfeits leave a false impression and the truth is the ineligible players may not have affected the outcome of the game that much. Any other punishment seems to me more logical than changing the outcome of a game. Nobody wins, because the winner can no longer claim the victory and the loser doesn't truly feel like they won the game...unless you're USM. The truth is, most of them probably don't even know enough football or series history to know that they didn't ACTUALLY win two games in the series on the gridiron.

They don't have forfeiting anymore. They make you vacate victories now. This way the losing team doesn't pick up a win.

Jarius
08-14-2015, 06:14 PM
https://www.facebook.com/comedianwhodi/videos/10200981804785425/

Well the jewelry store in Petal is pretty confident in the Dawgs to win