PDA

View Full Version : Staley plans on trying BB again this off-season.

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2015, 03:07 PM
"I still plan on it. I talked to coach Howland in the spring," Staley said. "He said after the season's over make sure I'm healthy and everything and I can come back out there and try again."

With FB picking up the tab for the scholly (and one bad knee already) I'm not sure how this plays out.

mstatefan91
08-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I wish he would give it up, but I'm not going to bash him if both coaches are agreeable to it and if he can contribute in some way

Johnson85
08-12-2015, 03:33 PM
"I still plan on it. I talked to coach Howland in the spring," Staley said. "He said after the season's over make sure I'm healthy and everything and I can come back out there and try again."

With FB picking up the tab for the scholly (and one bad knee already) I'm not sure how this plays out.

I suspect him trying basketball again will ensure that he never catches Fitz. If he wanted to do that, he might should just play basketball only.

thf24
08-12-2015, 03:37 PM
This really makes me think Fitz is our future starter. Staley is already behind due to his injury, and he's going to drop further back by trying to juggle at this point in his career instead of committing to football. But, if that's where his heart is, more power to him.

mstatefan91
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
This really makes me think Fitz is our future starter. Staley is already behind due to his injury, and he's going to drop further back by trying to juggle at this point in his career instead of committing to football. But, if that's where his heart is, more power to him.

My thoughts as well

Dallas_Dawg
08-12-2015, 04:04 PM
I don't think we ever see him in a basketball uniform again at MSU

Bothrops
08-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Who wouldn't want to play for Howland, I can't really blame him.

smootness
08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't think we ever see him in a basketball uniform again at MSU

Agreed. I would be shocked if Mullen signs off on that after he hurt himself last year and missed all of spring practice. I don't think Staley will want to play, though, when that time comes. He'll be in a battle for the starting QB job; that's too important to go be a bench guy for the basketball team"

mstatefan91
08-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Well I wish he would just pick one and stay with it. It's nearly impossible to transition from football to basketball and play any significant time. Plus the upside for injury. But as I said, if he can contribute something meaningful to both programs and the coaches are ok with it then more power to him.

codeDawg
08-12-2015, 04:20 PM
This is a tough one. Here is a kid who is an absolute freak athlete. His heart is on the court, but his future is on the field. This is one of those things in life that take some maturity to work through. There are a lot of guys in the NFL who hate playing football, but love being millionaires.

Johnson85
08-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Who wouldn't want to play for Howland, I can't really blame him.

I can't blame him for wanting to play for Howland, but I thought I remembered Staley basically saying he liked basketball more, but thought he was much more likely to have a future as a 6'6" QB as opposed to another dime a dozen 6'6" small forward. If he really likes basketball more and is not going to commit to focusing exclusively on football, he really should just play basketball and enjoy himself.

mstatefan91
08-12-2015, 04:22 PM
This is a tough one. Here is a kid who is an absolute freak athlete. His heart is on the court, but his future is on the field. This is one of those things in life that take some maturity to work through. There are a lot of guys in the NFL who hate playing football, but love being millionaires.

I don't think he hates football. I think he just likes basketball that much.

codeDawg
08-12-2015, 04:26 PM
I don't think he hates football. I think he just likes basketball that much.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to imply he hates football. The NFL example is an extreme.

Bully13
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
How's Williams injury coming along?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2015, 04:51 PM
I doubt he ever plays basketball.

HSVDawg
08-12-2015, 05:00 PM
I think this season may tell the tale one way or the other. If he gets significant reps and looks good, I suspect Mullen will strongly encourage that he stick to football. If not, I think you may see him transition over to basketball 100%. The problem is that if he plays basketball and does well, he is pretty much going to have no shot at ever being the starting QB if he wants to continue to do what is necessary to be successful in basketball. At that point, Mullen and Howland will have a problem on their hands because I doubt Mullen will want to keep him on scholarship just to play another sport.

Honestly, I agree with msstatefan91 and wish that he would give up on the basketball dream. With the talent that Howland is bringing in, I really don't see him being much of a factor on the hardwood at all. But one thing is for sure, he isn't ever going to be a factor in either sport if he doesn't pick one and stick with it.

MSUDawg99
08-12-2015, 05:15 PM

I think Staley sees the writing on the wall that Fitz could be Dak's possible replacement & his heart doesn't seem to be completely into football. His attitude just needs to get right. His attitude & the crap he chooses to put on social media is terrible. So is his dad's. He has a victim mentality. I know it's just social media & you can't read too much into that garb with kids but it makes me question his motive. I don't follow him anymore. And his dad was one of the ppl raising quite the stink when we fired Rick Ray cause he was a black guy & wasn't on the Howland train. That'd be interesting if Staley ends up playing for him.

Billy Ray Valentine
08-12-2015, 08:45 PM
I think Staley sees the writing on the wall that Fitz could be Dak's possible replacement & his heart doesn't seem to be completely into football. His attitude just needs to get right. His attitude & the crap he chooses to put on social media is terrible. So is his dad's. He has a victim mentality. I know it's just social media & you can't read too much into that garb with kids but it makes me question his motive. I don't follow him anymore. And his dad was one of the ppl raising quite the stink when we fired Rick Ray cause he was a black guy & wasn't on the Howland train. That'd be interesting if Staley ends up playing for him.

Me and his dad are BFFs. Lol

MetEdDawg
08-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Here's the big difference between him and others who have done it. He's a QB. WR's have done it plenty of times with no problems. But a QB is a different thing all together. I would have no problem with him as a skill position guy playing. Cross training is great anyways. But as your QB you want them 100% focused on football. Makes this situation weird because I think maybe I've only heard of a D1 QB also playing basketball once or twice in recent memory.

Homedawg
08-12-2015, 08:58 PM
He's never going to be a basketball player only. And odds are he doesn't suit up again in a hoops uniform. If he does, o think the writing is on. The wall and he will be at a juco this time next year-....

Coach34
08-12-2015, 09:01 PM
I think Staley sees the writing on the wall that Fitz could be Dak's possible replacement & his heart doesn't seem to be completely into football. .

Completely wrong. Staley just loves basketball- its not hard to figure out

pilldawg
08-12-2015, 09:10 PM
He's never going to be a basketball player only. And odds are he doesn't suit up again in a hoops uniform. If he does, o think the writing is on. The wall and he will be at a juco this time next year-....

nm

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Here's the big difference between him and others who have done it. He's a QB. WR's have done it plenty of times with no problems. But a QB is a different thing all together. I would have no problem with him as a skill position guy playing. Cross training is great anyways. But as your QB you want them 100% focused on football. Makes this situation weird because I think maybe I've only heard of a D1 QB also playing basketball once or twice in recent memory.

Matt Jones, former UPig QB, comes to mind. That dude was a beast of a QB and played hoops. It can be done. That said, I don't think Staley plays basketball for us, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility he could.

fishwater99
08-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Matt Jones, former UPig QB, comes to mind. That dude was a beast of a QB and played hoops. It can be done. That said, I don't think Staley plays basketball for us, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility he could.

Greg Paulis and Charlie Ward also come to mind.

Playing basketball is more fun than standing on the sideline.

Dawg61
08-13-2015, 12:42 AM

Crazy thing about Matt Jones besides being the fastest slow guy ever was that he got drafted in the first ****ing round of the NFL draft AS A WIDE RECIEVER. He never played a single snap at WR ever till his first season in the NFL. Then he pissed it all away on cocaine. Dude was unbelievably fast with gigantic long strides. 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine.

Johnson85
08-13-2015, 08:25 AM

I don't remember who replaced Matt Jones or Charlie Ward at QB, but I doubt they did both while also dealing with recovering from an injury and competing with a talented player from their same class for the starting QB position.

I think Staley is going to have to choose relatively quickly if he wants playing time in either sport.

If we didn't have Howland, we might could keep up with the other players without playing full time. Since Howland is recruiting for us, I'm not even sure he'll be able to do what Matt Jones did (which is basically come off the bench for some rebounding, defense, and fouls) after this year.

In football, Fitz already has two extra springs over him. If Staley doesn't focus on football in the off season also, I don't see how he ever gets the work in to catch up and pass him.

Not long ago I think it would have been pretty easy for him to play both and get playing time at both. Now I think he has to choose.

Dawg61
08-13-2015, 08:49 AM
This isn't Rick Ray's team anymore. Staley would be the last man on the bench.

HSVDawg
08-13-2015, 09:13 AM
But as your QB you want them 100% focused on football. Makes this situation weird because I think maybe I've only heard of a D1 QB also playing basketball once or twice in recent memory.

Only one that comes to mind is Charlie Ward, who was one of the greatest college athletes of all time. And even he couldn't have done it if he was a 6-6 235lb small forward instead of a 6-2 195 lb shooting guard.

What Staley is talking about doing is the equivalent of Cam Newton deciding he wanted to play basketball. He would have to lose a ton of weight and therein sacrifice the thing that makes him most special as a QB (physical presence in the pocket and running game) in order to just be an end of the bench small forward in the SEC. There are rare occasions when playing QB in the SEC and also playing college basketball aren't mutually exclusive, and this certainly isn't one of them.

HSVDawg
08-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Greg Paulis and Charlie Ward also come to mind.

Playing basketball is more fun than standing on the sideline.

Greg Paulus isn't a very good example. He exhausted all of his basketball eligibility before suiting up for one year at QB for Syracuse. He wasn't going back and forth.

MSUDawg99
08-13-2015, 09:24 AM

I think you're completely wrong as you are alot. I'm entitled to an opinion too. I happen to disagree with yours.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Only one that comes to mind is Charlie Ward, who was one of the greatest college athletes of all time. And even he couldn't have done it if he was a 6-6 235lb small forward instead of a 6-2 195 lb shooting guard.

What Staley is talking about doing is the equivalent of Cam Newton deciding he wanted to play basketball. He would have to lose a ton of weight and therein sacrifice the thing that makes him most special as a QB (physical presence in the pocket and running game) in order to just be an end of the bench small forward in the SEC. There are rare occasions when playing QB in the SEC and also playing college basketball aren't mutually exclusive, and this certainly isn't one of them.

I don't think Staley plays basketball but he's a PF not a SF.

Coach34
08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I think you're completely wrong as you are alot. I'm entitled to an opinion too. I happen to disagree with yours.

you are absolutely entitled to your incorrect opinion

MSUDawg99
08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
you are absolutely entitled to your incorrect opinion

As are you assface

Alldawg
08-13-2015, 10:25 AM
As are you assface

I don't come to work everyday to read message boards expecting to see lover's quarrels. I get enough of that at home. You guys kiss and make up

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't come to work everyday to read message boards expecting to see lover's quarrels. I get enough of that at home. You guys kiss and make up

http://www.mayanrocks.com/blog/jimmyfallon_ew.gif

HSVDawg
08-13-2015, 12:56 PM

The following statements are mostly hypothetical, but here goes.

If he does "love basketball" as much as has been insinuated in past interviews (more than football), then quite frankly he made a poor decision in signing an athletic scholarship in football considering that he could have named his school in either sport. Of couse, there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm not saying thats exactly how it went down either. He may have thought his talents were more suited for football even if he prefers basketball, and therefore given it a shot to pick the sport where he has a chance to excel the most. The problem is, even if he was 6-8 and ran a 4.3 with pinpoint accuracy and rocket arm strength, he still wouldn't be successful as a QB in this league if his heart isn't in it.

Honestly, I just hope he figures it out for himself and his future, because he seems to be struggling a bit to find his niche right now. The selfish part of me wants him to be the next Dak and say to hell with basketball, but if its best for him to play basketball and he has to give up football or being at MSU (or both) in order to do so, then that is OK too.

drunkernhelldawg
08-13-2015, 01:20 PM
He could add depth and athleticism to our bench. I doubt it'll work out, but I kinda hope it does.

mstatefan91
08-13-2015, 01:25 PM
As are you assface

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/31112614.jpg

Jack Lambert
08-13-2015, 01:28 PM
I suspect him trying basketball again will ensure that he never catches Fitz. If he wanted to do that, he might should just play basketball only.

You never know and end up being like Bear and only playing football. However with our new Basketball you'll can never tell.

sandwolf
08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
If he does "love basketball" as much as has been insinuated in past interviews (more than football), then quite frankly he made a poor decision in signing an athletic scholarship in football considering that he could have named his school in either sport.

A big part of the reason that he signed with us was because we told him that he could play both sports.

From his commitment article on Scout:

"I picked Mississippi State because it is the perfect fit," Staley told Scout. "The coaches are great, they have a perfect plan for me, and I can play both sports (football and basketball) there, which was big for me."

5 Star
08-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I tend to agree with this. I have no evidence and have not talked to anyone. It's just the gut feeling I get. The only thing that makes me question it is the way Mullen called him a 5 star player. He missed on Cam and I don't think he wants to miss on that type of talent again (although I personally don't think they are even the same type of player - at all). If you remember, Cam had the early problems too before he went JUCO. But, as we found out during cheat-gate and now his recent antics, you never can really get that mentality out of somebody completely.

If Staley ever starts for us, it'll be because his talent is so good he absolutely HAS to play. I personally don't think that's the case. Everybody in the country wanted Cam out of high school and he was a 5 star guy. Staley wasn't.

maroonmania
08-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Curious, did Staley get his knee injury in bowl practice for football or when he initially went out for basketball? Basically, what was he playing when he got the knee hurt? I'm thinking football but I'm not sure.

Coach34
08-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Curious, did Staley get his knee injury in bowl practice for football or when he initially went out for basketball? Basically, what was he playing when he got the knee hurt? I'm thinking football but I'm not sure.

He got hurt during bowl practice

Staley's 1st love is basketball. But he is good at both. He thinks the road to proball is in football. So thats the route he is taking.

smootness
08-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Can we please not post stuff like this?

HSVDawg
08-13-2015, 06:55 PM
He got hurt during bowl practice

Staley's 1st love is basketball. But he is good at both. He thinks the road to proball is in football. So thats the route he is taking.

That is exactly my point. He THINKS his road to the pros is in football, but he has no road to pro football at all (or even to higher than 3rd string in the SEC West) if he isn't devoting 100% of his free time during both the football season and off-season to all of the little things to becoming a better QB. That includes the not-so voluntary voluntary off-season workouts, after practice and offseason timing development with his receivers, relentless film study, staying in FOOTBALL shape, and...oh yeah...staying eligible. This is the most cut throat division in the most cut throat league in college football history and he flat out isn't going to play any meaningful snaps if he isn't fully committed to doing all of the above to get better. And fitting basketball in there also makes it virtually impossible. This isn't even remotely debateable.

War Machine Dawg
08-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Can we please not post stuff like this?

http://i.imgur.com/cuCPKY3.gif