PDA

View Full Version : A couple of things from today's player/coaches interviews...

CadaverDawg
08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
1) It really got me excited to see how Redmond responded to the questions about Diaz and his scheme. "We got some things for y'all. I'm just ready...ready to play for Coach Diaz and this scheme. Coach Diaz makes it fun, it's going to be good this year".
He also talked about how "the secondary got together this summer and worked on our craft. We needed to improve from last year."
And, "we have a lot more communication in the secondary this year. Last year it was pretty much one guy, but this year Everybody communicates back there"

2) Turner mentioned the possibility of AJ sliding over on occasion and playing inside on the DL. I'm wondering if maybe he likes AJ's quickness, and is also feeling good about one of the Juco pass rushers on the end? Because he seemed like he felt good about Jones, James, Adams, Thomas, and Hoyett inside.

Either way, I took AJ playing inside on occasion, as more of a positive thing than any kind of indictment on our current DT's. It may also be a sign of more 3 man fronts like we've been discussing some. Or it may be absolutely nothing, ha.

I mainly just wanted to mention the Redmond interview, and how pumped it made me. And how about Redmond's voice? To be a thinner and smaller guy, dude talks like Barry White, haha. I think he is going to have a monster year

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2015, 03:14 PM
I remember some of P. Smith's best plays being from the Nose last year.

TrapGame
08-12-2015, 03:19 PM
1) It really got me excited to see how Redmond responded to the questions about Diaz and his scheme. "We got some things for y'all. I'm just ready...ready to play for Coach Diaz and this scheme. Coach Diaz makes it fun, it's going to be good this year".

I just gotta boner.

Covercorner2
08-12-2015, 03:20 PM
We have the players in the front 7 to be multiple/versatile. That's something I wish Collins did more of last year, in lieu of just playing more guys and subbing hockey-style....

msstate7
08-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Our offense will score. Since we shouldn't have to win games 17-10, I hope we come after teams forcing TOs even if we give up some big plays

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Hey Cadaver, how about a link brother?

deltadawg99
08-12-2015, 03:33 PM
I can't wait to see what Diaz does with Jamal Peters and Mark McLaurin. Both guys are listed at 6'2 and weighing between 206 & 210. They've got great size and can fly.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Hey Cadaver, how about a link brother?

Sorry bout that. It's On periscope, so click the links in these tweets...

Redmond:

@HailStateFB: LIVE on #Periscope: Players speak to the media following today's practice. #HailState #smsports @jimthorpeaward https://t.co/w06ZXZSOGd

Turner:

@HailStateFB: LIVE on #Periscope: Players & coaches speak to the media following practice. #HailState https://t.co/0ogLApFc4K

smootness
08-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Sorry bout that. It's On periscope, so click the links in these tweets...

Redmond:

@HailStateFB: LIVE on #Periscope: Players speak to the media following today's practice. #HailState #smsports @jimthorpeaward https://t.co/w06ZXZSOGd

Turner:

@HailStateFB: LIVE on #Periscope: Players & coaches speak to the media following practice. #HailState https://t.co/0ogLApFc4K

This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but Periscope sure is the dumbest popular app yet. It literally brings nothing to the table that didn't already exist.

Barking 13
08-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I think you will see a merry-go-round on the front 3 or 4 to keep offenses confused... Something that CJ eluded to last week or so... imagine all 5 or so guys rotating in and out of position.... CJ at DT and AJ DE, the next play AJ at DT and CJ on the end, Brown and James doing the same thing on the other side. one or two rotate out and we bring in a couple more LB's, etc...

I too, just got a boner...

Todd4State
08-12-2015, 06:09 PM
I don't really understand bend but don't break defense because to me the object of the defense should be to get the other team off the field and keep them from scoring any points at all. Not let them move between the 20's and kick a field goal while eating up game clock and keeping your offense off the field.

Dawgcentral
08-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Not seeing where shifting personnel to different positions on the field equates to Bend but don't Break. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see that crap either,..just might have missed where you're getting that.

Todd4State
08-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Not seeing where shifting personnel to different positions on the field equates to Bend but don't Break. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see that crap either,..just might have missed where you're getting that.

From the previous defensive coordinator's style.

I was saying that I don't like it and I prefer what Manny is going to do. Historically speaking at MSU our best defenses have been more on the creative side. I think that's the best way to maximize our talent on that side of the ball.

I WANT us to move people around- we absolutely wasted Benardrick McKinney last year by not using him some at DE/OLB as well as MLB.

FlabLoser
08-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Wait & see on Manny. Last time he was here, it was more of a bend don't break defense. We didn't light up the field with sacks and INTs.

Dawgcentral
08-12-2015, 07:05 PM

I was saying that I don't like it and I prefer what Manny is going to do. Historically speaking at MSU our best defenses have been more on the creative side. I think that's the best way to maximize our talent on that side of the ball.

I WANT us to move people around- we absolutely wasted Benardrick McKinney last year by not using him some at
DE/OLB as well as MLB.

Exactly. We're in full agreement.

MabenMaroon
08-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Wait & see on Manny. Last time he was here, it was more of a bend don't break defense. We didn't light up the field with sacks and INTs.

He had some good horses in the stable when he was here last time, this time he has a stable full of good horses. ( and they seem to being come from better breeding stock at that )

Thick
08-12-2015, 07:44 PM

It's not always about sacks and interceptions in aggressive defensive schemes. It's more about creating confusion, pressuring QB's into bad decisions and disrupting rhythm. I believe we will see a totally different defensive production this year which could very well increase our offensive production. More offensive plays, more short fields, usually equals in better point production. Plus, Dan and Manny are a little older, little bit wiser, and understand each other a little bit better too.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2015, 07:49 PM

Yep, it definitely was at times. I'm thinking, and hoping, that with our current offense being so explosive, it will give Manny the comfort to take more chances on D. We'll see. I hope peoe aren't thinking we're going to look like a Joe Lee Dunn defense out there, Bc we won't be taking that many chances...but with our O and our talent at Corner, I expect Manny to get creative.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2015, 07:52 PM
It's not always about sacks and interceptions in aggressive defensive schemes. It's more about creating confusion, pressuring QB's into bad decisions and disrupting rhythm. I believe we will see a totally different defensive production this year which could very well increase our offensive production. More offensive plays, more short fields, usually equals in better point production. Plus, Dan and Manny are a little older, little bit wiser, and understand each other a little bit better too.

This^. Great post Thick.

What I want to see most, is shorter fields for our offense. We had an awesome offense last year, but just think what they could have done if we didn't have to go 80 yds every drive to score.
We had really poor starting field position due to the "play the 1B's til they get into our end of the field" crap. Hopefully we give Dak and the O a bunch of short fields this season...especially in some of the big games. It's hard to drive the field 80 yds on Bama. We have to get assistance from the D.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
We weren't ranked that high in sacks and INTs but we were pretty disruptive.

National rankings from 2010:

Tackles for loss - 18th
Turnovers forced - 22nd
Red zone defense - 13th
3rd down defense - 15th

maroonmania
08-12-2015, 08:19 PM

I WANT us to move people around- we absolutely wasted Benardrick McKinney last year by not using him some at DE/OLB as well as MLB.

Yes, we played good red zone defense under Collins for the most part but I didn't consider his style bend but don't break at all. If you are truly playing bend but don't break then you don't leave long, deep pass patterns defended one on one, often with just a safety. And with Collins that's exactly what we did.

preachermatt83
08-12-2015, 10:24 PM
What makes mannys defense so disruptive his his ability to disguise what we are doing. You can never know by the way the d is set up what we are doing. It's very confusing for qbs. Collins biggest flaw was that he couldn't do that. One other thing that sets manny apart is his ability to make adjustments on the fly.

missouridawg
08-12-2015, 10:28 PM
What makes mannys defense so disruptive his his ability to disguise what we are doing. You can never know by the way the d is set up what we are doing. It's very confusing for qbs. Collins biggest flaw was that he couldn't do that. One other thing that sets manny apart is his ability to make adjustments on the fly.

His adjustments were what I remembered most.

Against Michigan in the Gator Bowl, it was 14-14 after 1. We shut them out the rest of the way.

mic
08-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Manny > Collins and it's not even that close..
Main reason UF hired Randy Shannon and labeled him Co/DC