PDA

View Full Version : When was last time there was such a stark difference in what we the fans think

MadDawg
08-12-2015, 09:33 AM
about the upcoming season vs. what the so-called experts think?

Nobody predicted 10 wins last season - but most predictions did have us having a pretty good year. This year we are pretty much expected to fall off the college football map and struggle to win 2 SEC games and 3 seems out of the question.

Someone is going to be very surprised come November.

5 Star
08-12-2015, 09:39 AM
This is how I look at it:

- I can't blame the media. The facts are, we lost a bunch of starters. The burden of proof is on the replacements to live up to the billing. Also, throughout our history, we haven't dealt with success well, so there is no reason for them to believe we will now.

- I can't blame our fans either. We know what we have. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

I tend to fall in the middle. If our replacements are truly talented enough to step up, we have the schedule to make a little luck and repeat last year and vault Dak into the Heisman discussion. But that margin of error is thin, and defined by LSU and Auburn, as usual. Drop those games, and we are fighting for 6-6. Remember, 6-6 involves beating Kentucky AND one more SEC team, none of which will be easy.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-12-2015, 09:42 AM
It's kind of shocking to me that this is happening. The QB is the most important position on the field and is the position with the most likelihood of leading a team to a championship. See the otherwise average Auburn team with Cam Newton inserted and he made everyone better. I am not saying Dak is Cam but it amazes me that the talking heads don't see the value in Dak coming back for a senior year. I hate to talk about Northern Mississippi but last year if it had not been for a complete unconsistent bonehead at QB, they could have very well won 2 more games easily. I think the Dak factor alone will win us a few close games that we might otherwise lose. I have no problem saying that we could go 10-2 or even better.

Liverpooldawg
08-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I haven't chimed in on the prediction thread because I really don't have a good handle on where we will finish. I could see anywhere between 5-7 and 12-0. If the offensive line doesn't pan out 5-7 actually could happen. If the online is a beast and Manny works miracles on defense then 12-0 could happen. The truth is probably somewhere in between but that's a heck of a range. The fair time to ask the prediction question for us is after the LSU game (unless we struggle with USM). We will have some idea then.

Coach34
08-12-2015, 09:45 AM
If we go 5-7 Mullen should be fired immediately after the EB. I don't know that we will ever as be as good again as we will be in 2015

starkvegasdawg
08-12-2015, 09:46 AM
If we struggle against USM then I will probably find a new outdoor fall hobby very quickly to spend time on every Saturday.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2015, 09:53 AM
If we struggle against USM then I will probably find a new outdoor fall hobby very quickly to spend time on every Saturday.

There are lots of ways to struggle and still win by 30 against this bunch. Im going to be looking for the same type of dominance that we had last year. If I don't see it and we still win by 30, Im going to be a little worried.

I honestly expect us to win by 40+.

Liverpooldawg
08-12-2015, 09:59 AM
If we go 5-7 Mullen should be fired immediately after the EB. I don't know that we will ever as be as good again as we will be in 2015

Maybe so but I'm going to wait till I see the offensive line in competitive action before I go that far. That's the main reason the talking heads aren't high on us and they do have a point. I realize that there is some talent there but until you see them performing on the field together as a unit you just don't know.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Pump the breaks here fellas

We are getting to the "how many do we have to win by to be happy" point here. I despise those posts.

We almost lost to UAB last year & won 10 games. Each game is different & has it's own circumstances. To "find a new hobby" if we don't look good against USM is bogus

5 Star
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Pump the breaks here fellas

We are getting to the "how many do we have to win by to be happy" point here. I despise those posts.

We almost lost to UAB last year & won 10 games. Each game is different & has it's own circumstances. To "find a new hobby" if we don't look good against USM is bogus
I agree. I expect to sweat a little against USM, even if we are very good. They are in Year 3, it's their Super Bowl at home, with a bunch of rejected players with a chip on their shoulder. We will be flat, on the road, expecting to cruise. If we don't kill them quick, it won't be like last year. 31-14 type game IMO. Fans will freak out, then we will look like a completely different animal against LSU.

thunderclap
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Last year.

thunderclap
08-12-2015, 10:07 AM

I prefer to believe that having a Dak will help us find another Dak.

gravedigger
08-12-2015, 10:12 AM
I haven't chimed in on the prediction thread because I really don't have a good handle on where we will finish. I could see anywhere between 5-7 and 12-0. If the offensive line doesn't pan out 5-7 actually could happen. If the online is a beast and Manny works miracles on defense then 12-0 could happen. The truth is probably somewhere in between but that's a heck of a range. The fair time to ask the prediction question for us is after the LSU game (unless we struggle with USM). We will have some idea then.

1. It wont take any miracle for Manny to improve the defense. Better safety play and not giving the opposing quarterback an hour and a half to throw the ball will do the trick.

2. 5-7 against this schedule would be bull. What, lose every game but UK and the non conference? Come on. Admit it, that is just your anxiety. No where near reality. 12-0 is far fetched, but not as much as 5-7

3. The fair time is not after the LSU game. It's now. The easy time is after the LSU game.

RoverDog
I was getting used to being the "Dark Horse" the last few years. Listening to JOX radio in AL this morning and Jay Barker was going through his predictions for our season....he had us losing every conference game except KY and OM.....and was iffy on those 2. He said the only reason he picked us to beat Kentucky was because it was at home....KENTUCKY. Said OM because rivalry at home. Then said that LSU/A&M/ARK could be toss up games, immediately after he said we would lose them. I don't think anyone knows what to make of our team, and it's easier to err on the side of caution, I guess. You would think have the best player at the most important position would give you the benefit of the doubt, but not this year.

Tbonewannabe
The biggest thing for this year is having a QB that has won in Red Stick. Winning on the road is what is going to determine what kind of record we end up with. It is hard to win on the road. Having LSU and Bama at home helps tremendously. If we can win at AU and Mizzou we are probably in the SEC championship game. If we drop one of them we might still make Atlanta.

5 Star
08-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Last year.

https://youtu.be/uZaOFTp5_C8?t=36s

Coach34
08-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Maybe so but I'm going to wait till I see the offensive line in competitive action before I go that far. That's the main reason the talking heads aren't high on us and they do have a point. I realize that there is some talent there but until you see them performing on the field together as a unit you just don't know.

but doesn't that hold true for everybody else too? We aren't the only school replacing people

gtowndawg
08-12-2015, 10:25 AM
I always have lunch with State buddies the week before the season. We sort of predict what we will happen that year. I'm always honest. If I think we are going to suck I say it. But last year I said many times, as I looked thru the roster, there was no way in the world we would not be good. Really good. I thought we could win 9 last year for sure. What did the media pick us to do? Last?

Other than that, the only other real surprise for me (expectations v what happened) was the Croom Liberty Bowl year (better than I thought) and the infamous 2001 season (say no more).

Liverpooldawg
08-12-2015, 10:26 AM
1. It wont take any miracle for Manny to improve the defense. Better safety play and not giving the opposing quarterback an hour and a half to throw the ball will do the trick.

2. 5-7 against this schedule would be bull. What, lose every game but UK and the non conference? Come on. Admit it, that is just your anxiety. No where near reality. 12-0 is far fetched, but not as much as 5-7

3. The fair time is not after the LSU game. It's now. The easy time is after the LSU game.

Of course it's anxiety. I've been around football long enough to know that if your offensive line is bad you have a bad season. I'm not saying this one will be but it is a pretty much a new unit. Until you see it action as a unit in a competitive game you just don't know.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2015, 10:29 AM
This is arguably the most talented team Dan has filled since he's been here. The issue & what the outside sees is that a lot the talent have never started games. A lot have played in games but they haven't been out there the 1st play so they just assume we can't replace those starters last year. Also MSU has never been able to be consistent from year to year & until that happens we won't get the benefit of the doubt like other schools. If we want to change the perception we must do it this year. I think we will.

Dawg61
08-12-2015, 10:30 AM

What? Gonna be awfully tough for 2015 to be better than 2014 which spent 5 weeks as #1 in the country and several more weeks in the playoff final four. You don't fire a coach from MSU football that's one year removed from getting the program ranked higher than it has ever been before. 5-7 wouldn't get him fired it'd have to be epically bad like 1-11 or 0-12. At 2-10 Mullen would still keep his job one year removed from #1. I'm predicting we go 9-3 this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Of course it's anxiety. I've been around football long enough to know that if your offensive line is bad you have a bad season. I'm not saying this one will be but it is a pretty much a new unit. Until you see it action as a unit in a competitive game you just don't know.

It's new as far as playing together but not new as far as experience. The youngest guy on the OL is Clayborn who have been here 3yrs. Warren 5th yr Sr, Malone 5th Sr, Desper 4th yr Jr, & Senior 4th yr Jr. These guys have all been to & played in some of the toughest venues in the SEC. They won't be intimidated by anything. They have to gel as a unit but their maturity will help with that because they've been around long enough to know what it's like in the SEC.

Coach34
08-12-2015, 10:32 AM
We are a better football team this year than 2014

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2015, 11:03 AM
It's new as far as playing together but not new as far as experience. The youngest guy on the OL is Clayborn who have been here 3yrs. Warren 5th yr Sr, Malone 5th Sr, Desper 4th yr Jr, & Senior 4th yr Jr. These guys have all been to & played in some of the toughest venues in the SEC. They won't be intimidated by anything. They have to gel as a unit but their maturity will help with that because they've been around long enough to know what it's like in the SEC.

These Oline were also "ranked higher" than the guys they are replacing. It kills me that the so called experts last year said they are starting a walkon at guard so that must mean they will suck and have no depth. Our Oline has been at least middle of the pack in the SEC every year. Having Dak along with our WRs makes what our Oline have to do that much easier.

Coach34
08-12-2015, 11:06 AM
What? Gonna be awfully tough for 2015 to be better than 2014 which spent 5 weeks as #1 in the country and several more weeks in the playoff final four. You don't fire a coach from MSU football that's one year removed from getting the program ranked higher than it has ever been before. 5-7 wouldn't get him fired it'd have to be epically bad like 1-11 or 0-12. At 2-10 Mullen would still keep his job one year removed from #1. I'm predicting we go 9-3 this year.

We have at least 6 draft picks this coming April and the best QB and WR's we have ever had. That doesn't equal 5-7

Maroon_and_white
08-12-2015, 11:07 AM
We are a better football team this year than 2014

Agree, schedule is tougher but if we really gel as a football team during the season, we could potentially go 4-0 in November. The world is not over if we drop 2 out of 3 vs LSU @TAMU and @AUB. It would be really tough to win an emotional game over Bama and march into Fayetville and win though. UK will give us all we can handle at home.

Dawg61
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
We have at least 6 draft picks this coming April and the best QB and WR's we have ever had. That doesn't equal 5-7

True and I fully expect 9-3 or better this year. I'm just pointing out that 5-7 wouldn't get him fired.

thunderclap
08-12-2015, 11:41 AM
https://youtu.be/uZaOFTp5_C8?t=36s

I was referring to the last time we were dissed. Nobody gave us a chance for shit last year either.

archdog
08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
It's kind of shocking to me that this is happening. The QB is the most important position on the field and is the position with the most likelihood of leading a team to a championship. See the otherwise average Auburn team with Cam Newton inserted and he made everyone better. I am not saying Dak is Cam but it amazes me that the talking heads don't see the value in Dak coming back for a senior year. I hate to talk about Northern Mississippi but last year if it had not been for a complete unconsistent bonehead at QB, they could have very well won 2 more games easily. I think the Dak factor alone will win us a few close games that we might otherwise lose. I have no problem saying that we could go 10-2 or even better.

I will agree with this simple statement, if UM had Dak and Jrob last year, they win the west hands down. If we had Tony Conner and Golson last year, we go undefeated and win the west last year. Those couple of positions each way is the difference between playing in december and not.

The last time we had this big of a difference in opinion between the media and our fans was Tyler's senior year. Before the OK State game I was sure we would win 9 games. Tyler goes down on a cheap shot early in that game and really never recovered his mojo. Dak stepped in and took crucial snaps that led us to last years run. Point being, the media was correct on their assessment, mostly because our team was devastated by injuries throughout the season. Not because of our teams potential.

BulldogBear
08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
True and I fully expect 9-3 or better this year. I'm just pointing out that 5-7 wouldn't get him fired.

You're right of course. I imagine he's probably just saying that like one would say, "If such and such happens, I'll eat my hat." To go 5-7 this year with what we have in place would mean really really really underachieving and Dan would probably have to take the heat. It would definitely be on him and something would be really wrong if it gets that bad.

maroonmania
08-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I was getting used to being the "Dark Horse" the last few years. Listening to JOX radio in AL this morning and Jay Barker was going through his predictions for our season....he had us losing every conference game except KY and OM.....and was iffy on those 2. He said the only reason he picked us to beat Kentucky was because it was at home....KENTUCKY. Said OM because rivalry at home. Then said that LSU/A&M/ARK could be toss up games, immediately after he said we would lose them. I don't think anyone knows what to make of our team, and it's easier to err on the side of caution, I guess. You would think have the best player at the most important position would give you the benefit of the doubt, but not this year.

Its definitely an epidemic to predict our demise. I personally don't ever remember such a disconnect between media predictions and what we as fans think we will do. Yes, we lost a lot of experience but the fact remains that most of the guys that will be replacing that experience have been in the program for a LONG time and were more highly recruited than their predecessors. And as far as talent we lost 2 second round draft picks. After that it was a few late round guys and other guys that went undrafted. I don't want to downplay what the guys we lost meant to last year's team but very few of them were super talented or highly recruited. We certainly can replace their talents, the only question may be lack of actual game experience and the all-important ingredient of team chemistry. However, as long as Dak is there leading this team I just don't see team chemistry being an issue.