Why did Chavis move from LSU to aTm?

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2015, 10:21 PM
1. Job security
2. Not being appreciated
3. Tired of having to shut teams out to win

BayouDawg
08-11-2015, 10:31 PM
And I think he got a hefty pay raise goin to TAMU. I don't think the fact that LSU lost Chavis is bein mentioned enough. Going from Chavis to Steele is obviously a downgrade. Why does the media make such a big deal about us losing Collins but hardly mention LSU losing Chavis? We atleast upgraded IMO. LSU defense takes a step back this year

Dawg61
08-11-2015, 11:08 PM
$1.5 mill per season has got to be top 3 DC pay.

Coach34
08-11-2015, 11:29 PM

same reason Ellis Johnson left Crooms...having to rely on defense wayyyy too damn much

Schultzy
08-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Even great DC's need talent and I wonder if Texas HS football is producing defensive players anymore. All of those schools out there give up a ton of points every year.

I could see Sumlin and Miles both looking for jobs next winter. Chavis may have seen the writing on the wall in Baton Rouge.

Johnson85
08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Even great DC's need talent and I wonder if Texas HS football is producing defensive players anymore. All of those schools out there give up a ton of points every year.

I could see Sumlin and Miles both looking for jobs next winter. Chavis may have seen the writing on the wall in Baton Rouge.

I think Sumlin will still have something crazy like $12M guaranteed after this season. That's a lot for anybody to buy out.

Coach34
08-12-2015, 08:06 AM
A&M lost all their starting LB's and half their Secondary. Chavez has his work cut out for him

BayouDawg
08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
A&M lost all their starting LB's and half their Secondary. Chavez has his work cut out for him

I agree. I also wonder if it's possible to have a shut down defense while running summlin's style of offense. As much as they pass the clock stops more and the defense will usually be on the field more.

BulldogBear
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I never miss an opportunity to say I'm not a believer in TAMU. Until they actually stop someone they will NEVER compete for the SEC West again without a JFF (once in a generation).

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Chavez has his work cut out for him
Yeah, I don't know if it's possible to instill enough toughest in that soft ass defense, even by him.

Dawg61
08-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I agree. I also wonder if it's possible to have a shut down defense while running summlin's style of offense. As much as they pass the clock stops more and the defense will usually be on the field more.

It's possible but Chavis is old school been paired up with Fulmer and Miles the last twenty years. I'm not sure he's going to be able to adapt to what Sumlin needs. Seems like a hire made off of name alone.

archdog
08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
The media just chimed in. Losing that many player at aTm allows their new DC to come in fresh. Big checkmark in their favor they say.

5 Star
08-12-2015, 01:28 PM
People don't realize that life is tougher for a defensive coordinator on a team where you play a style of offense like Sumlin's. I suspect Muschamp will understand that after this season too. Knife cuts both ways. Other defensive coordinators don't like playing against that offense, and your own coordinators have to run more plays because the offense moves so quickly and is on/off the field more.

BulldogBear
08-12-2015, 01:31 PM
The media just chimed in. Losing that many player at aTm allows their new DC to come in fresh. Big checkmark in their favor they say.

Good Grief. Whatever it takes media. I get it.

With 99% of the media their reasoning for anything doesn't go much past "just because."

bulldawg28
08-12-2015, 01:46 PM
People don't realize that life is tougher for a defensive coordinator on a team where you play a style of offense like Sumlin's. I suspect Muschamp will understand that after this season too. Knife cuts both ways. Other defensive coordinators don't like playing against that offense, and your own coordinators have to run more plays because the offense moves so quickly and is on/off the field more.

Ahemmm.....What offense are we running again?

TrapGame
08-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Chavis had the talent at LSU he needed for his scheme. This year will be a bumpy ride for Sumlin and company.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Ahemmm.....What offense are we running again?

Valid point to an extent, but last year we ran the ball 55% of the time while aTm ran the ball a little over 40% of the time.

But to your point, the way we play on offense does put some pressure on our defense - they will face a lot of plays.

Meaning we have to move the chains to rest the defense and score a lot because we will give up some points.

SheltonChoked
08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Especially if he plans to run the Man to Man coverage scheme he preferred at LSU (I don't remember what he ran at UT).

I don't think aTm has the secondary to do that. They'll hate Chavis in Aggieland after this year.

BulldogBear
08-13-2015, 09:11 AM
And just like that, now TAMU swears they've got another JFF. Will they never stop thinking they're going to contend for the SEC by winning games 55-48?

The reality of it is that when you focus on offense to the neglect of defense your offense will stopped some but your defense will stop no one. Can't win more than 8 games that way in a great year much less a normal one.

defiantdog
08-13-2015, 12:44 PM

I believe Chavis was frustrated with all of the stress of building the teams success on his shoulders. The money wasn't that much different, and LSU would have countered if he didn't turn in his 30 day notice, 30 days before his contract was up. Chavis wanted out. There is actually a lawsuit that is still going on between Chavis and LSU. LSU says Chavis owes them somewhere around $400,000 for breach of contract. So that should make for some interesting distractions.