PDA

View Full Version : Defensive line depth

BayouDawg
08-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Should we be worried about our defensive line depth?
At DT we have Chris Jones, Nick James, Nelson Adams, Corey Thomas, Braxton Hoyett, Flethcer Adams
At DE we have AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, Jon Calvin, Will Coleman, Torey Dale, Joseph Jr. Or Mullins

I'm not concerned with the top 4 at DE or DT, but after those 8 we're gonna have youth. I think the young guys are gonna be able to give us a few quality snaps every game. As long as we don't have injuries and depend on that youth to be major contributors we should be fine. What are Y'all's thoughts?

CadaverDawg
08-11-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?32929-Defensive-Line&highlight=Defensive+line+depth

662dawg
08-11-2015, 08:39 PM
To be honest, about every team in the country would be more than likely be young after their top 8 guys.

maroonmania
08-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Think I read somewhere that LSU only has like 4 DTs left on their entire roster.

confucius say
08-11-2015, 09:00 PM
If you are that we have no concerns over four tackles and four ends, we will be golden.

smootness
08-11-2015, 09:40 PM
If you are that we have no concerns over four tackles and four ends, we will be golden.

Exactly. Saying, 'I'm unsure of what we have after our top 8 DL' is actually pretty similar to saying, 'Our DL depth is very good.'

BayouDawg
08-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Exactly. Saying, 'I'm unsure of what we have after our top 8 DL' is actually pretty similar to saying, 'Our DL depth is very good.'

Well do you agree that our top 8 seem solid? Or should I be worried about them? But really it's preferable to have 10 guys ready to go on the DL. Your starters your backups and then a swing DE and DT. But obviously atleast 8 is essential

smootness
08-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Well do you agree that our top 8 seem solid? Or should I be worried about them? But really it's preferable to have 10 guys ready to go on the DL. Your starters your backups and then a swing DE and DT. But obviously atleast 8 is essential

No, I agree with you. I'm saying that I think concerns over our DL depth are overblown.

We have 5 guys I feel very confident can go out tomorrow and be very good...Brown, Jefferson, Jones, Adams, James. We have another 3 that I think will be at least decent behind them...Coleman, Calvin, Thomas. Beyond that, I like the other Adams and either Mullins or Joseph as true freshmen who can give us something here and there if necessary.

Even with an injury or two, I think we can throw out a DL that is good enough to get the job done. And if everyone stays relatively healthy, we will be very good. If we have more than 1-2 significant injuries, it likely wouldn't matter what our depth looked like. I may be concerned over our DL depth in a year or two, but I'm fine with it now.

BayouDawg
08-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Yea I think we should be fine. During Diaz's last run in in Starkville our D-Line was solid and we didn't have this much depth, unless I'm remembering wrong. Our starters were very solid but behind them I don't remember having this many bodies. So I think we have just as much talent (if not more) and more depth than the 2010 defense. So I think Manny has a lot to work with. Our defense should impress this year

smootness
08-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Yea I think we should be fine. During Diaz's last run in in Starkville our D-Line was solid and we didn't have this much depth, unless I'm remembering wrong. Our starters were very solid but behind them I don't remember having this many bodies. So I think we have just as much talent (if not more) and more depth than the 2010 defense. So I think Manny has a lot to work with. Our defense should impress this year

Yeah. In 2010 we started two true sophomores at DT, had a JUCO DT who ended up on the OL and a 270-pound sophomore as the backups, and our backups at DE were McCardell and Sean Ferguson. Cherrington ended up playing a lot that year. I'll take this year's D-line over that one, even with McPhee and Cox.

Todd4State
08-11-2015, 10:58 PM
All I will say is I think Fletcher Adams is kind of a wild card guy here because currently he is big enough to play DE and DT for us. Ultimately he will probably be a DT, but I think he will help us out with depth for now in spots.

Johnson85
08-12-2015, 08:09 AM

I think we know we have solid DTs in Chris Jones, Nick James, and Nelson Adams. If we avoid any injuries, that would be adequate, except I'm assuming Nick James will still need more rest than the average DT and I think you really need 4 to make it through an entire game against LSU, Bama, or Arkansas without having a drop off due to fatigue. Corey Thomas is young but he was a guy that was athletic enough to play DE in HS but was always going to outgrow the DE position in college. I dont' remember anything about Braxton Hoyett. Fletcher Adamns is a freshman so I just wouldn't count on anything from him. I think we have 5 potential DTs and either 4 of them need to be better than solid and we need to avoid any major injuries, or all five of them need to be solid. I don't think we can afford any injuries at DT, but I think we'll be ok.

I'm more worried about DE. We will have solid starters but it's not clear to me whether we can generate a pass rush with our ends. And no clue about our backups.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2015, 08:39 AM
I think we know we have solid DTs in Chris Jones, Nick James, and Nelson Adams. If we avoid any injuries, that would be adequate, except I'm assuming Nick James will still need more rest than the average DT and I think you really need 4 to make it through an entire game against LSU, Bama, or Arkansas without having a drop off due to fatigue. Corey Thomas is young but he was a guy that was athletic enough to play DE in HS but was always going to outgrow the DE position in college. I dont' remember anything about Braxton Hoyett. Fletcher Adamns is a freshman so I just wouldn't count on anything from him. I think we have 5 potential DTs and either 4 of them need to be better than solid and we need to avoid any major injuries, or all five of them need to be solid. I don't think we can afford any injuries at DT, but I think we'll be ok.

I'm more worried about DE. We will have solid starters but it's not clear to me whether we can generate a pass rush with our ends. And no clue about our backups.

Cory Thomas will be solid in his role of backup on the 2 deep. The talent is there & now he's in great shape. Fletcher will play spot duty & will make a few WOW plays this year with his quickness & athleticism. Will Coleman will play the role of AJ this year. The guy who comes off the bench & provides energy & a spark. He's going to really turn some heads.

Johnson85
08-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Cory Thomas will be solid in his role of backup on the 2 deep. The talent is there & now he's in great shape. Fletcher will play spot duty & will make a few WOW plays this year with his quickness & athleticism. Will Coleman will play the role of AJ this year. The guy who comes off the bench & provides energy & a spark. He's going to really turn some heads.

So do we have a 4th DE that we will be able to rely on? Or will we have to make do with three?

Also, what are your thoughts on Braxton Hoyett? Will it be three with experience, then Thomas, and then Nelson in spots? Or will he be in the rotation also? Don't remember anything about Hoyett from recruiting or from last year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2015, 09:16 AM
So do we have a 4th DE that we will be able to rely on? Or will we have to make do with three?

Also, what are your thoughts on Braxton Hoyett? Will it be three with experience, then Thomas, and then Nelson in spots? Or will he be in the rotation also? Don't remember anything about Hoyett from recruiting or from last year.

I belive Johnathan Calvin will settle in at that 4th DE spot & give us some good snaps. With Hoyett he will get some snaps but not a lot. Pretty much like Fletcher Adams there just isn't a bunch of reps for your 5th & 6th DT. They'll give spot duty just not a lot of P/T this season.

Alldawg
08-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Should we be worried about our defensive line depth?
At DT we have Chris Jones, Nick James, Nelson Adams, Corey Thomas, Braxton Hoyett, Flethcer Adams
At DE we have AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, Jon Calvin, Will Coleman, Torey Dale, Joseph Jr. Or Mullins

I'm not concerned with the top 4 at DE or DT, but after those 8 we're gonna have youth. I think the young guys are gonna be able to give us a few quality snaps every game. As long as we don't have injuries and depend on that youth to be major contributors we should be fine. What are Y'all's thoughts?

I believe the DT depth is fine and is probably better than most may think. The DE position is a little thin and lacks experience. With that said, if the DE position is hit with injuries, the DT position would be fine with moving Jones over to DE and letting him play