PDA

View Full Version : redshirt question

FlabLoser
07-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Can a player like say Redmond apply for a redshirt after sitting out a year?

I've not seen anything concrete saying Redmond lost his redshirt year other than hailstate.com listing him as a So. Can he not apply for a redshirt year for 2012?

CadaverDawg
07-14-2013, 02:27 PM
I think he can, but then he would still have to miss the suspended games the following year. In other words, he couldn't use a redshirt year to wipe out the suspension.

FlabLoser
07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I never heard he was suspended for 2012.

I take it that rather than just sitting him out in 2012, we made a deision to suspend him the whole year. Brilliant.

Did he practice in 2012?

CadaverDawg
07-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I thought he did.

I don't know the details, but I thought his penalty was losing his Redshirt year, plus however many games of this year. So I thought that meant he lost last season as if he had played, but not necessarily that he lost his "redshirt". So technically I figured he could use his redshirt this year, but I don't know if it would wipe out the 6 game 2013 suspension if he was to do that. If it would, then I say redshirt him this year and let him come back as a redshirt Soph next season with 3 full years to play.

Does anyone know how this works, because I probably shouldn't have chimed in since I do not know much about the ruling.

jalakin
07-14-2013, 05:05 PM
He can't redshirt during the suspension period. So if he redshirted it would have to be after this year. He completely loses 1 and a half years of playing time, so there is no reason to try to redshirt him anymore.

FlabLoser
07-14-2013, 07:16 PM
How does a redshirt usually work? Is that something you have to apply for, or does everybody automatically get 5 years to play 4?

I've still not heard anything official about Redmond losing 1 year. Just that we have him listed as a So - wishful thinking by meat that he was listed as a So prior to having a redshirt year applied for.

Political Hack
07-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Anyone can redshirt one year and not lose that year of eligibility. If its a medical redshirt you have to apply for an extra year after your eligibility is up.

Thick
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes, everybody has 5 years to play 4, and you can redshirt any of those years of eligibility. You can apply for medical hardship/redshirt to get a year back due to majority of games missed by injury.

Coach34
07-14-2013, 09:00 PM
didn't it say in the NCAA report that the NCAA accepted us suspending Redmond for 2012 and 5 games in 2013? (and I can assure you one of them pissed their pants laughing at us for doing that)

When suspended- you lose the time- no redshirt can be had. Redmond is a Soph and that is time he cant get back

FlabLoser
07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
That is beyond rediculous. The safe play is to sit Redmond in 2012 and then call it a redshirt if the NCAA doesn't give him a 1+ years suspension.

Striklin said that 6 games didn't come from the infractions committee. It came from whatever committee reinstates suspended players. Like two independent enforcement bodies at the NCAA get to dole out double jeopardy. That's so ****ed up.

I'm still pissed. And by pissed I mean at Bracky. We spanked ourselves 10x harder than the NCAA ever would have. Its a well known and nationally written about fact that the NCAA is asleep at the enforcement wheel.

And they are losing staff left and right to schools who hire NCAA people to run (defend) there own compliance departments.

Shit. Even KENTUCKY FOOTBALL snagged a NCAA'er to run their shop. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9366442

Seriously, we need to organize a letter writing campaign to flush Bracky.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Seriously, we need to organize a letter writing campaign to flush Bracky.

I'm in

sandwolf
07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
The way that I understood it was that the 5 or 6 games that he lost this year was based on the value of the impermissible benefits received.......I read somewhere that they basically use some type of slide scale that determines the suspension based on the dollar amount of benefits. And then the loss of last year's eligibility was due to the fact that he lied to the NCAA. This could be dead wrong, but I read this somewhere.