PDA

View Full Version : IT Returns......

War Machine Dawg
08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Gents, WMD's yearly football preview has returned at For Whom the Cowbell Tolls (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/8/10/9106881/wmd-preseason-preview-defense-mississippi-state-bulldogs-msu-manny-diaz). Do yourself a favor and give Part I: Defense a read. I'm itching to talk football. Just 3 weeks away from actual games!!

DanDority
08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Good right up WMD, Wow Dline scares me

Alldawg
08-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Gents, WMD's yearly football preview has returned at For Whom the Cowbell Tolls (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/8/10/9106881/wmd-preseason-preview-defense-mississippi-state-bulldogs-msu-manny-diaz). Do yourself a favor and give Part I: Defense a read. I'm itching to talk football. Just 3 weeks away from actual games!!

I may have been the only one to click this thinking, "It has come" from numerous "it is coming" threads.

BossDawg
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Good scare or bad scare? I was feeling pretty confident in the D line for a while, but it seems like suddenly everybody is wanting to jump off the wagon.

archdog
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Dline will be fine. Two maybe 3 guys will step up by the end of the LSU game and everyone will be saying, how did we ever play without x,y, and z on the field last year. Book it.

War Machine Dawg
08-10-2015, 05:14 PM

I'm way more scared of safety, honestly. We have literally zero depth there. I think DL is going to be ok. Thomas should be a solid backup, then we have several other candidates for snaps. I think at least one of the young guys step up and make it happen.

War Machine Dawg
08-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Good scare or bad scare? I was feeling pretty confident in the D line for a while, but it seems like suddenly everybody is wanting to jump off the wagon.

Agree. We know Jones, James, and Nelson are solid. We just need a couple of guys to step up to provide them a little depth. I'd be shocked if Cory Thomas and at least one more of the young guys can't do that.

DanDority
08-10-2015, 08:47 PM

With the write up, bad scare. Ever since 2001 season bringing in new D linemen for depth and having to count on Freshmens and not to mention Frosh but also players who will be playing a little on the light side scares the crap out of me. Yes, Safety also scares me but I'd much rather have a D that can't stop the pass than one that can't stop the run.

Coach34
08-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm not worried about DT- Coaches and others have said Corey Thomas could have played a little last year if we had needed him to. But having 2 Sr starters meant auto RS for him. We have 4 legit DT's. Not all SEC teams can say that

I worry about DE depth and Safety. Thats where our questions have to be answered

DancingRabbit
08-10-2015, 09:43 PM
With the write up, bad scare. Ever since 2001 season bringing in new D linemen for depth and having to count on Freshmens and not to mention Frosh but also players who will be playing a little on the light side scares the crap out of me. Yes, Safety also scares me but I'd much rather have a D that can't stop the pass than one that can't stop the run.

Of the JC guys, Coleman red-shirted last year and Calvin (currently 3rd string) enrolled in December. Torrey Dale's a junior that played in 11 games last year. Hoyett's a redshirt frosh but he's got good size at 6-3 300lbs.

Neither Dan nor Manny has been doing any poor-mouthing and Manny's bragging on the D's mental capabilities. I'm not too worried. But sure, I'll feel better after we play well and beat LSU.

War Machine Dawg
08-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm not worried about DT- Coaches and others have said Corey Thomas could have played a little last year if we had needed him to. But having 2 Sr starters meant auto RS for him. We have 4 legit DT's. Not all SEC teams can say that

I worry about DE depth and Safety. Thats where our questions have to be answered

Bingo. We just don't have the bodies at safety. I don't know why we didn't move Tolando Cleveland. DE depth is definitely a concern as well. We need Coleman and Calvin to step up, because Dale just hasn't shown anything. Keith Joseph may play just because there's no one else. That said, a lot of players are saying Joseph has looked the best of all the freshmen so far. If he forces the coaches' hand, that's a good thing.