PDA

View Full Version : Football question

bulldogcountry1
08-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Watching the preseason HOF game, and there were two consecutive plays where the pass hit the receiver right in the bread basket, but the ball bounced out right into the arms of a defender. They go down as INTs, but it's 100% on the receiver.

Does it also go down as a dropped pass? Why is there no statistical category for this scenario?

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Watching the preseason HOF game, and there were two consecutive plays where the pass hit the receiver right in the bread basket, but the ball bounced out right into the arms of a defender. They go down as INTs, but it's 100% on the receiver.

Does it also go down as a dropped pass? Why is there no statistical category for this scenario?

It goes down as both a dropped pass & interception.

I think you bring up a good point though, football needs a category of Interceptions that works like errors in baseball. There has to be someway an official score keeper can rule on whether the INT was the receiver's or QB's fault. This would increase the accuracy at which we can evaluate the QB position.

gravedigger
08-09-2015, 10:24 PM
It goes down as both a dropped pass & interception.

I think you bring up a good point though, football needs a category of Interceptions that works like errors in baseball. There has to be someway an official score keeper can rule on whether the INT was the receiver's or QB's fault. This would increase the accuracy at which we can evaluate the QB position.

Idea has merit BUT poor routes and missed blocks count for interceptions too. No way to know the error unless you are calling the play.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Idea has merit BUT poor routes and missed blocks count for interceptions too. No way to know the error unless you are calling the play.

I completely agree. It isn't perfect, but at least it makes things "more" correct. I absolutely agree that poor routes, missed blocks, etc. play a part in causing interceptions where it isn't the QB's fault, but dropped passes are the most obvious and easiest to reassign blame to. There is absolutely no reason a QB should be penalized for an interception in which the receiver dropped a pass that he reasonably should have caught.

like ruling on errors in baseball, this is highly subjective, but I think most people can reasonably differentiate between passes that SHOULD have been caught versus passes that COULD have been caught.