PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Hudson is straight dealing in the Championship series

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 07:05 PM
@HyannisGameday: Dakota Hudson: 7 IP, 2 H, 2BB, 6 K, 1 ER. #Dealing

Maybe this will be the "year of Dakota" at MSU. If he pitches like this next year, I have no problem calling him Diamond Dak

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 07:09 PM
And he's coming back out to pitch the 8th

msstate7
08-09-2015, 07:14 PM
I've read all summer about how well our guys are performing. If we stink again this year, it's all on Cohen

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 07:15 PM
@leftfieldlounge: 2 more K's for @HudsonDakota 8 ip, 1 r, 2 hits, 2 BB, and 8 K's for @harborhawks Gotta tip your cap to Dakota #BigDawgHowling

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 07:15 PM
I've read all summer about how well our guys are performing. If we stink again this year, it's all on Cohen

Yea, it's gonna be hard to argue that if we suck again.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 07:19 PM
@leftfieldlounge: The #Moonman @Moonlight_Tatum in line to start the @Official_CCBL championship game for @harborhawks tomorrow #HowBoutThemDawgs

MsStateBaseball
08-09-2015, 07:35 PM
He should be Friday night guy. His confidence should be thru the roof.

bulldogcountry1
08-09-2015, 07:59 PM

The question has to be asked: With so many of our guys having great summers, why did we suck this past year?

mic
08-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Memo to Butch:....
Leave these guys along.. Don't F with anything they have done this summer.. Just wear ur moo moo and chart pitches..

msstate7
08-09-2015, 08:16 PM
The question has to be asked: With so many of our guys having great summers, why did we suck this past year?

Seems they got better immediately after leaving here this summer. Coincidence?

CadaverDawg
08-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Memo to Butch:....
Leave these guys along.. Don't F with anything they have done this summer.. Just wear ur moo moo and chart pitches..

Hahaha

Don't look Butch in the eye, or you will turn into a head case

Jacksondevildog
08-09-2015, 08:35 PM
We need to drop his arm angle down so he can get more RPM's on our spin machine. We need him throwing 83 with sink and control versus 95 and blowing it the hell by people.***

Todd4State
08-10-2015, 12:09 AM

It was because Butch refused to:

Start Hudson, Tatum, and Sexton- even if they go three innings, that's fine. It's not like we haven't had that happen before anyway. As I said ALL year long Hudson should have pitched more than he did. I think Tatum going between the bullpen and the rotation messed him up last year. Sexton did pretty well aside from allowing too many home runs.

Use Laster, Fitts, and Houston out of the bullpen in relief. Laster should have been our Girodo last year. Start Hudson on Friday- if he doesn't go deep bring in Laster for 4-6 IP. Pitch Sexton on Saturday- use Fitts or Houston out of the pen. Use Tatum on Sunday- use Laster again depending on his pitch count from Friday and if he's not available hopefully either Fitts or Houston would be. If none of those guys are available, I would have gone with Mintz or Preston Brown.

And then on top of that- Butch's insistence on using Ross Mitchell and hoping that he would "figure it out" at some point. Butch needs to understand that if by the third series of the SEC season a guy is getting shelled- his ass needs to sit. Starting Preston Brown was almost as bad- both Ross and Preston had ERA's of over 6.00 apiece in SEC play.

So, to answer your question- it was Butch's complete mismanagement of our pitching staff that was the principle reason why we sucked. I am 100% confident that had we done what I suggested in the first two paragraphs we would have had a winning season. And probably a regional bid.

If history is any indicator, our pitching staff should be pretty good next year.

bulldogcountry1
08-10-2015, 07:21 AM
It was because Butch refused to:

Start Hudson, Tatum, and Sexton- even if they go three innings, that's fine. It's not like we haven't had that happen before anyway. As I said ALL year long Hudson should have pitched more than he did. I think Tatum going between the bullpen and the rotation messed him up last year. Sexton did pretty well aside from allowing too many home runs.

Use Laster, Fitts, and Houston out of the bullpen in relief. Laster should have been our Girodo last year. Start Hudson on Friday- if he doesn't go deep bring in Laster for 4-6 IP. Pitch Sexton on Saturday- use Fitts or Houston out of the pen. Use Tatum on Sunday- use Laster again depending on his pitch count from Friday and if he's not available hopefully either Fitts or Houston would be. If none of those guys are available, I would have gone with Mintz or Preston Brown.

And then on top of that- Butch's insistence on using Ross Mitchell and hoping that he would "figure it out" at some point. Butch needs to understand that if by the third series of the SEC season a guy is getting shelled- his ass needs to sit. Starting Preston Brown was almost as bad- both Ross and Preston had ERA's of over 6.00 apiece in SEC play.

So, to answer your question- it was Butch's complete mismanagement of our pitching staff that was the principle reason why we sucked. I am 100% confident that had we done what I suggested in the first two paragraphs we would have had a winning season. And probably a regional bid.

If history is any indicator, our pitching staff should be pretty good next year.

How much was on Butch and how much was on Cohen? I recall hearing rumblings before the season started (maybe even from you) about how they were disagreeing with how the staff was going to be managed. Who "won" that argument in the end? I agree that it was Butch

I remember watching an SEC game later in the season, and the camera caught the two of them disagreeing in the dugout when the time was coming to make a call to the pen. Before long, Butch came out and brought in Ross for another beating. Making an educated guess, I'd say that Butch is to Blame for player devotion that caused him to mismanage the staff because it just doesn't fit the way Cohen over manages the lineup in every way.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-10-2015, 08:50 AM
@HyannisGameday: Dakota Hudson: 7 IP, 2 H, 2BB, 6 K, 1 ER. #Dealing

Maybe this will be the "year of Dakota" at MSU. If he pitches like this next year, I have no problem calling him Diamond Dak

Why is it we always hear our guys are tearing it up in summer leagues but it seems to never bleed over into our next season?

bulldogcountry1
08-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Why is it we always hear our guys are tearing it up in summer leagues but it seems to never bleed over into our next season?

I wouldn't say that's the norm. Guys that do well in the summer tend to carry it over to the next season to a degree. One thing to remember is that not all summer leagues are created equal. If someone does well in the Cape, it's very encouraging. The fact that we have a lot of guys in the Cape and doing well says we better be pretty good next year or else.

What many want to know is why do so many make huge leaps in the summer? I assume playing summer ball is much less stressful than what players have to deal with during the school year. Maybe that allows players to relax and only focus on baseball for a couple months. At least, I hope it it something like that and not that they aren't being developed properly by our staff.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't say that's the norm. Guys that do well in the summer tend to carry it over to the next season to a degree. One thing to remember is that not all summer leagues are created equal. If someone does well in the Cape, it's very encouraging. The fact that we have a lot of guys in the Cape and doing well says we better be pretty good next year or else.

What many want to know is why do so many make huge leaps in the summer? I assume playing summer ball is much less stressful than what players have to deal with during the school year. Maybe that allows players to relax and only focus on baseball for a couple months. At least, I hope it it something like that and not that they aren't being developed properly by our staff.

5 Star
08-10-2015, 09:18 AM
We don't. This is a fallacy perpetuated by fans that do not have all the information. The last time our guys 'tore it up' in summer ball was the summer of 2012. Suffice to say, it indeed bled over into our season. And that summer, it was mainly Renfroe. This year, we have several guys, led by Brent Rooker.

5 Star
08-10-2015, 09:23 AM
And then on top of that- Butch's insistence on using Ross Mitchell and hoping that he would "figure it out" at some point. [/B] Butch needs to understand that if by the third series of the SEC season a guy is getting shelled- his ass needs to sit. Starting Preston Brown was almost as bad- both Ross and Preston had ERA's of over 6.00 apiece in SEC play.
Most of that post is just cockamamie nonsense, but this part I agree with. However, I won't get on the staff too bad for going with upperclassmen who have proved themselves before.

On the younger guys (who are now doing well in summer), they got plenty of chances but could not throw strikes. Sexton started all year, and Tatum was given every opportunity to start and stay there. Houston and Hudson obviously had the light click on later in the year, as evidenced by their performance.

I know some of you cannot fathom not having someone to blame, but that's the bottom line.

MSUDawg99
08-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Yea, it's gonna be hard to argue that if we suck again.

Couldn't agree more

5 Star
08-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Well, Tatum is NOT dealing thus far.

Not basing that on today, but I think the rotation will end up being Brown, Sexton and Hudson. I'm still gun-shy with Hudson, so promoting him to Friday is a stretch. My outside-the-box prediction for the season is that Brown ends up being the Friday night guy. I say use Tatum out of the bullpen, where he excelled as a freshman. Good role for a lefty with movement. Let one of the freshmen, and McCord if healthy, battle it out for the 4th/midweek spot. Houston the closer. I hope Gentry is ready to go, that will be a great addition late in games. Nobody is talking about Mintz either, or Billingsley, who I believe was hurt as well.

Todd4State
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
How much was on Butch and how much was on Cohen? I recall hearing rumblings before the season started (maybe even from you) about how they were disagreeing with how the staff was going to be managed. Who "won" that argument in the end? I agree that it was Butch

I remember watching an SEC game later in the season, and the camera caught the two of them disagreeing in the dugout when the time was coming to make a call to the pen. Before long, Butch came out and brought in Ross for another beating. Making an educated guess, I'd say that Butch is to Blame for player devotion that caused him to mismanage the staff because it just doesn't fit the way Cohen over manages the lineup in every way.

They both get the blame. Butch for putting them out there and not having at least one of the five guys in the Cape capable to pitch as sophomores and Cohen gets the blame because he is the head coach and the buck stops there.

Butch handles the staff for the most part.

MsStateBaseball
08-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Dude, it will be between Tatum, Houston, Dakota and Sexton for weekend. Brown is a long reliever. Rigby is the closer. Hudson is the Friday night guy. Sexton is Saturday. Those two in my mind are set as is the closer. Billingsley and Myles if not healthy aren't on the roster. Padgett Breaux and Ford will fight it out for Tuesday. But as the case most years, starters don't go the whole season so if Padgett does well they might pitch him on Sunday once.

KB21
08-10-2015, 11:07 PM
A few points.

1. The majority of player development takes place during the summer. The laid back atmosphere in summer leagues is a part of this, but players can work through some of their issues in the summer that the coaches cannot afford to allow them to work through in the spring when winning is the most important aspect. Summer league is a lot like minor league ball.

2. What Dakota has done this summer is hone his command and gain a lot of confidence. Dakota always had a great arm, but command of his pitches was a significant issue early on. Frankie Piliere told me on twitter that Dakota's command is much better than what it was in the spring. He made a post mentioning how Dakota was working 93-95 on the mound. That means that when he lets it rip, he's probably touching 98 mph on his fastball now. He has also developed a sharp cutter that he can throw in the upper 80s.

3. Fans who say that what these players do in the summer time never translates into the spring have a personal vendetta against the coaching staff. Hunter Renfroe, Kendall Graveman, Chris Stratton, Chad Girodo, Adam Frazier, Jacob Lindgren, Jonathan Holder....etc all disagree with you.

Todd4State
08-10-2015, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure why some of our fans think that our guys that have good summers aren't having good seasons the next year. If anything a good summer has translated into a great season for us.

Heck, that's where we got the idea that Girodo was going to be great for us in the first place and where guys like Renfroe, Stratton and Lindgren emerged.

Last year we had a lot of guys that had summers that were cut short because of injuries- like Rea and Robson or they didn't participate like Preston Brown and Ross. Preston was recovering from an arm injury. Humphreys didn't play summer ball last year either.

Anyway, like I said in May- we are probably going to know what kind of a year we are going to have by August. Well, here we are and I would say based on the overall results I'm pretty pleased.

Hudson has been throwing gas.
Sexton had a rough start but has improved.
Tatum and Houston both had summers.
Daniel Brown had a good summer but still needs to get his walks down.

Humphreys didn't hit all that well but finished the summer hot hitting around .385 in the playoffs.
Robson hit over .300 in the Cape.
Rooker got a promotion to the Cape after hitting 10 home runs in his summer league to go with a high 300's average.

And then Gridley, Holland, Cody Brown, and Michael Smith and Luke Reynolds had good years in their summer leagues. Nate Lowe the JUCO transfer had a very respectable summer in the Cal Ripken League which should help him translate to SEC ball.

I'm also hearing that there is a good chance that Gavin Collins and Jacob Barfield can participate most of the fall after having been injured.

MsStateBaseball
08-11-2015, 06:20 AM
It comes down to experience and repetition. All these guys have it now. At minimum, we should be in a regional in 2016. To go further means development from the young guys, the other pieces of the puzzle.

KB21
08-11-2015, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure why some of our fans think that our guys that have good summers aren't having good seasons the next year. If anything a good summer has translated into a great season for us.

Heck, that's where we got the idea that Girodo was going to be great for us in the first place and where guys like Renfroe, Stratton and Lindgren emerged.

Last year we had a lot of guys that had summers that were cut short because of injuries- like Rea and Robson or they didn't participate like Preston Brown and Ross. Preston was recovering from an arm injury. Humphreys didn't play summer ball last year either.

Anyway, like I said in May- we are probably going to know what kind of a year we are going to have by August. Well, here we are and I would say based on the overall results I'm pretty pleased.

Hudson has been throwing gas.
Sexton had a rough start but has improved.
Tatum and Houston both had summers.
Daniel Brown had a good summer but still needs to get his walks down.

Humphreys didn't hit all that well but finished the summer hot hitting around .385 in the playoffs.
Robson hit over .300 in the Cape.
Rooker got a promotion to the Cape after hitting 10 home runs in his summer league to go with a high 300's average.

And then Gridley, Holland, Cody Brown, and Michael Smith and Luke Reynolds had good years in their summer leagues. Nate Lowe the JUCO transfer had a very respectable summer in the Cal Ripken League which should help him translate to SEC ball.

I'm also hearing that there is a good chance that Gavin Collins and Jacob Barfield can participate most of the fall after having been injured.

Another thing to note is that, if I am not mistaken, Reid Humphreys finished the Cape League playing left field.

You left off Cole Gordon, who may have had the most impressive summer of our hitters by hitting over .400 in the Great Lakes League, winning that batting title while also hitting 7 bombs in only 75 at bats.

engie
08-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Certainly no room for excuses next season...

I like what these pitchers have done so far. Has our gamesmanship and competiveness improved is what I want to see. Again, no excuses.