PDA

View Full Version : Losing 60/70 starters off the 2014 team, a lot has been said

MabenMaroon
08-09-2015, 09:25 AM
written or surmised in the media about our situation.
Is there some statistical record that easily shows what the percentage of last years snaps was lost ( conversely the % of snaps taken returning ), particularly in SEC play.
To me that is a way more indicative or telling aspect of the returning player concern. Without any stats to back it up, my observations and guesses tell me that the % of plays played by the returning players is fairly high. Combine that with the improved talent level of those that red-shirted and the influx of new players with a higher talent potential has got me feeling pretty woolly about the upcoming season.
Anybody got any numbers or concrete type evidence to back up my thoughts?

gravedigger
08-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I like your idea. New sabermetric. Returning percentage of snaps.

Coach34
08-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Cant find snaps- but here is what I do know:

We return an All-SEC QB
We return 5 of our top 6 WR's in catches
We return our top 2 leaders in Picks
We return 5 of our top 7 in tackles

dawgwood
08-09-2015, 10:12 AM

We return an All-SEC QB
you know the stats that count. Anything else the media can entertain.Because the way we finished the season with all those starters that left. WE can only get better.

Ralph
08-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I tried to find snaps few weeks ago and convinced not on interwebs, at least not for msu

MabenMaroon
08-09-2015, 10:27 AM

We return an All-SEC QB

That would sort of confirm my thoughts, some of those numbers would seem to indicate their number of reps. Got be to be on the field taking a snap in order to garner a stat. For instance, one would have to think that a player doesn't come in for one snap and make an interception then go sit on the bench the rest of the time.

Coach34
08-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Anything else the media can entertain.Because the way we finished the season with all those starters that left.

This is what gets me though. Auburn lost a ton of starters also as well as lost 4 of their last 5. Now picked to win the West
Ole Missus lost 4 of their last 5 vs D-1 schools- have no QB- but supposedly will challenge for the West.

State? Gone be 7th mane

FlabLoser
08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Somewhere there is a Maroon & White Nation article on this. They graphed the % of returning passing yards, rushing yards, tackles, etc. I think MSU was in the middle of the pack of better.

MetEdDawg
08-09-2015, 10:51 AM
This is what gets me though. Auburn lost a ton of starters also as well as lost 4 of their last 5. Now picked to win the West
Ole Missus lost 4 of their last 5 vs D-1 schools- have no QB- but supposedly will challenge for the West.

State? Gone be 7th mane

This is what irks me the most. Us and Auburn are really not in that dissimilar of situations. New DCs, lost games at the end of the year. But it all goes back to recruiting. Auburn is just reloading, Auburn has this amazing QB, Auburn has all these weapons.

That's basically the exact same thing we are saying. We have the best QB in the conference, we have a ton of weapons, but according to the media we aren't reloading and the only reason is recruiting rankings. We don't have flashy classes, so the media dismisses us because they don't want to take the time to actually see what's going on.

In actuality, we aren't really reloading, mostly because in order to reload, you have to lose a lot. Redmond, Chris Jones, AJ Jefferson and Richie Brown aren't considered returning starters even though they were on the field a ton. Coman isn't considered a starter but was the guy the last few games of the year and did really well. Desper has logged good minutes, Clayborn has logged good minutes. And I believe Fred Ross is not a starter because RoJo was.

Point is that not only do we have guys returning that logged a lot of minutes, some guys that graduated are getting replaced by better talent. Jamerson Love and Justin Cox for sure. Kaleb Eulls is being replaced by either Jones or James and while Eulls was good, I think both of them are better. Ross is certainly better than RoJo. I think Clayborn is as good as Day and that physically he's already better than him. Doubt we see a drop off from Beckwith to Desper. And I think Richie is at least close to the level B Mac was and is certainly better in coverage than he was. So to me the only spot where we say damn we might be a little worse off is DE from Preston Smith, LT form Clausell, and LB from Wells, and even there I think at some point this year either Jung or Gray show us they can do a lot of what he did.

HSVDawg
08-09-2015, 11:11 AM

We return an All-SEC QB

I think in our case what we actually "return" is overrated anyways. For instance, how many snaps did Gerri Green play last year? Elgton Jenkins? I could name a few more. We have a lot of guys that don't have experience yet but have more talent than the guys they are replacing. Especially on defense, the experience factor may not be as important simce we are installing a new system anyways.

Really Clark?
08-09-2015, 11:21 AM
I think in our case what we actually "return" is overrated anyways. For instance, how many snaps did Gerri Green play last year? Elgton Jenkins? I could name a few more. We have a lot of guys that don't have experience yet but have more talent than the guys they are replacing. Especially on defense, the experience factor may not be as important simce we are installing a new system anyways.

We are not installing a new system on defense. Manny even talked about it in his press conference, how much of the play book He helped developed the first time was still in place. There are some better talent coming up with no experience but I'm not sure I agree with the overrated statement. Green is very talented but Richie and Beni are not overrated. And will not over take them but he will play a lot.

Bothrops
08-09-2015, 11:30 AM
The media doesn't value what we do as a program.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2015, 11:39 AM
The media doesn't value what we do as a program.

Basically this....

They cannot value what they cannot understand.

FWIW, they don't understand what the New England Patriots do either. If they did, everyone would do it. However, at some point, if you continue to win, they just give you the benefit of the doubt.

I think the benefit of the doubt comes to MSU if we win this year & replace Dak well enough to win 8 games in 2016.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-09-2015, 01:09 PM
written or surmised in the media about our situation.
Is there some statistical record that easily shows what the percentage of last years snaps was lost ( conversely the % of snaps taken returning ), particularly in SEC play.
To me that is a way more indicative or telling aspect of the returning player concern. Without any stats to back it up, my observations and guesses tell me that the % of plays played by the returning players is fairly high. Combine that with the improved talent level of those that red-shirted and the influx of new players with a higher talent potential has got me feeling pretty woolly about the upcoming season.
Anybody got any numbers or concrete type evidence to back up my thoughts?
I tried to get this going earlier, but there just isn't much data available for player snap totals in CFB. I tried to add the link, but it's not working on my phone: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?31402-Website-for-individual-CFB-player-snap-totals&highlight=Website+college

5 Star
08-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Only experience I care about it quarterback and offensive line. We have one taken care of but the other is dicey.

Unless our new guys on the line step up and gel quickly, our offense will need to be focused outside the box.

maroonmania
08-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Only experience I care about it quarterback and offensive line. We have one taken care of but the other is dicey.

Unless our new guys on the line step up and gel quickly, our offense will need to be focused outside the box.

Well the big thing is our OL has LOTS of experience IN THE PROGRAM. Every projected starter we have on the OL will have been in the program a minimum of 3 years. Now yes, I wish they had more game experience but if I'm going to have guys that haven't been starters on the OL its at least good to know they have been learning and practicing the same playbook with the same OL coach for at 3 years or more.

spudd21
08-09-2015, 04:58 PM
We are not installing a new system on defense. Manny even talked about it in his press conference, how much of the play book He helped developed the first time was still in place. There are some better talent coming up with no experience but I'm not sure I agree with the overrated statement. Green is very talented but Richie and Beni are not overrated. And will not over take them but he will play a lot.

I think this is another big reason Manny was hired back. Dan knew what we had and with Manny there would be no wholesale changes.

the59dawg
08-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Somewhere there is a Maroon & White Nation article on this. They graphed the % of returning passing yards, rushing yards, tackles, etc. I think MSU was in the middle of the pack of better.

Yes it was just posted a few days ago on here as I recall in a similar discussion topic.

5 Star
08-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Well the big thing is our OL has LOTS of experience IN THE PROGRAM. Every projected starter we have on the OL will have been in the program a minimum of 3 years. Now yes, I wish they had more game experience but if I'm going to have guys that haven't been starters on the OL its at least good to know they have been learning and practicing the same playbook with the same OL coach for at 3 years or more.
I agree, especially about the veteran aspect. That is about the best you can hope for and, if done correctly, assures no disaster seasons. Being weak on the line due to attrition and young players is the quickest way to get to 3-9.

I like where we are theoretically but I can't give us the benefit of the doubt until they prove it. I suspect the media is the same way. And I am VERY concerned about the loss of Dillon Day. Very very concerned.

I really hope Damein Robinson steps up and is a contributor. I hear the light clicked for him last summer before he got hurt. Would be just what the doctor ordered to have a veteran tackle. Yeah yeah Warren and Senior blah blah, but it'd still be a good injection of depth.

dawgs
08-09-2015, 06:59 PM
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune16.html

I don't necessarily agree with how he figures out some number to encapsulate it all but gives % returning yards and tackles. there's also a chart I've seen for sec schools showing the % returning tackles, yards, ints, sacks, etc. and we are pretty much in line with most of the rest of the conference.

edit - found it

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Zf5r14XAsR-lclaqJi7zALBoV6Q=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3782536/Defense_exp._chart.0.png

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nT0j3cQDwwujcPzotHFYUCqBo_U=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3782530/Offense_chart.0.png

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
08-09-2015, 07:38 PM
there's also a chart I've seen for sec schools showing the % returning tackles, yards, ints, sacks, etc. and we are pretty much in line with most of the rest of the conference.

awesome. much more informative than returning starters

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2015, 07:50 PM
awesome. much more informative than returning starters

Agree, too bad they only make preseason rankings on the basis of recruiting rankings & tradition