PDA

View Full Version : Justin Johnson

thf24
08-07-2015, 01:22 PM
I've seen multiple people say they expect Justin Johnson to play this year at TE. Just curious as to whether anyone in the know can elaborate. I maybe be wrong but I'd think it's pretty rare for a true freshman TE to play almost anywhere due having to learn the multiple responsibilities of the position; is this saying more about Johnson showing out or about our questionable TE depth?

TheRef
08-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Mullen today said that Gus Walley will be the starter and after Walley it's "a wide open race"

maroonmania
08-07-2015, 02:00 PM
I've seen multiple people say they expect Justin Johnson to play this year at TE. Just curious as to whether anyone in the know can elaborate. I maybe be wrong but I'd think it's pretty rare for a true freshman TE to play almost anywhere due having to learn the multiple responsibilities of the position; is this saying more about Johnson showing out or about our questionable TE depth?

I personally think it is a negative toward Hutcherson and Hammond that they are just not ready to be dependable contributors in the SEC. In Hutcherson's case, he never will. Seems to be one of those cases where he looks the part but doesn't get the job done when he is in there (catching or blocking).

MSUDawg4Life
08-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Our TEs need to be able to catch passes. Justin Johnson can catch passes.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Justin has very good hands & already is a plus blocker. With the depth chart the way it is at TE plus his skill set he has a good opportunity to play early. He's also a very mature kid who's been well coached at Hoover.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Our TEs need to be able to catch passes. Justin Johnson can catch passes.

See MS/AL All-Star game final seconds for reference?HA!

msstate7
08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Justin has very good hands & already is a plus blocker. With the depth chart the way it is at TE plus his skill set he has a good opportunity to play early. He's also a very mature kid who's been well coached at Hoover.

Well coached at wr. I think it could take time to learn a new position at a much higher level. Hope I'm wrong though

mic
08-07-2015, 02:12 PM
TE might be a small concern if we weren't LOADED at WR ... We will be fine with Gus or whoever is in the game...

mic
08-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Yes and the Key word here is ..... Hoover..

FISHDAWG
08-07-2015, 02:40 PM
TE might be a small concern if we weren't LOADED at WR ... We will be fine with Gus or whoever is in the game...

never under estimate the value of a tight end that has good hands ... no matter how good your recvrs are on the out side ... I understand what you are saying, but quite often a tight end will get lost in coverage (or forgotten about) or a slower LB will have to cover him

MSUDawg4Life
08-07-2015, 02:44 PM
never under estimate the value of a tight end that has good hands ... no matter how good your recvrs are on the out side ... I understand what you are saying, but quite often a tight end will get lost in coverage (or forgotten about) or a slower LB will have to cover him

Right. With Justin having been a WR, that's a mismatch in our favor.

engie
08-07-2015, 03:31 PM
He's one of the best perimeter blockers at the HS level that I've ever seen... Obviously TE is a different gig if/when attached...

notoriousdog
08-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I love moving him to TE. He's a natural blocker and we're stacked at WR. He's also got a great frame for the position. Hell he's already as big as Malcolm Johnson.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-07-2015, 04:59 PM
never under estimate the value of a tight end that has good hands ...

Case in point....Arky's Hunter Henry. A good TE can really add an extra dimension to an offense.

dawgwood
08-07-2015, 05:04 PM
See MS/AL All-Star game final seconds for reference?HA!
He won mvp of that game.He gonna be a match up night mare for tight end. We just signed wat might be our best class ever. allot of these guys playing

mic
08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Case in point....Arky's Hunter Henry. A good TE can really add an extra dimension to an offense.

Who are / were their threats at WR??. Of course their TE was the vocal point..
I'm not saying the TE position isnt a big deal , but everyone just doesn't need to go all " MSU fan doom and gloom" if we have some question marks at TE..