PDA

View Full Version : Personal Protection Handgun

Bigedawg
08-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Hey guys. I am a relative novice to handguns but am currently in the market for a good handgun in the $500-$600 range. My job periodically takes me into some seedy West Jackson areas and after a recent encounter, I have decided that it is time to arm myself. Leaning toward a 9mm but would love some input from the pro's on the board. Thanks for your input.

Westdawg
08-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Two things to consider-
1 are going to want to carry this on your person at all times or just keep in your vehicle. If it's the former, you want something with a smaller profile to conceal. If it's going to stay in the vehicle, you could go with something bigger profile
2. Go to a legit gun store and put your hand on every gun that fits the answer to number 1. Could be a 380, 9, 38/357, or even a 40. And then find a range a test it out to see if it works for you.

Bigedawg
08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply West. It would mostly be left in my vehicle, but I would want to carry it on my person in some of these areas. Some of these neighborhoods have become like war zones.

SpeckleDawg
08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
WestDawg said it well already. I think 9mm would probably be a good choice for sure. Lots of ammo available and not too expensive. Find one that fits your hand and budget, shoot it a lot and get very comfortable with it.

Westdawg
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
I carry a SAR K2P 9mm. It is a double stack, but I am a big guy and wear loose shirts a lot. I will often open carry with it. But I am going to probably look at a smaller 9 , or even a small 357 that I can keep better concealed and less profile. And don't put yourself I. A price range. That K2 I got was less than 200 when I got it and it has been far better than guns I paid 3 times that for it.
One more thing - make sure that the company stands behind its product - i. e. They have good warranty commitment. You just don't want to be stuck with a $500 paper weight should anything happen mechanically

Bigedawg
08-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Now, I just need to find a place in the Jackson Metro area to do business with. Will probably go with a 9 mm with a small profile if I can find one to my liking.

fishwater99
08-07-2015, 01:32 PM
I prefer a .40 over a 9mm. More stopping power and similar in price.

Look at the Glock 27 or 23.

Vans Sporting goods, Bass pro or Academy should have what you want.

Bigedawg
08-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Law enforcement friend suggested Glock 27. Sounds like it may do the trick.

chainedup_Dawg
08-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I prefer a .40 over a 9mm. More stopping power and similar in price.

Look at the Glock 27 or 23.

Vans Sporting goods, Bass pro or Academy should have what you want.

This. For personal defense you want something, imo, that has more power yet is still easy to control. I prefer a .40 as well or a 357.

I carry an HK usp 357 sig chambered in .40

The most importatnt thing, no matter what you choose is to practice. Send as many rounds down range as you can. Get to where drawing is second nature. If you do a lot of night carrying it would probably be beneficial to get a laser or light or even a combo. They can be pricey but worth it if the situation presents itself.

Eta: i lied, it is chambered in 357

Offshore Dawg
08-08-2015, 07:51 AM
You may also want to look at an air weight 357 mag or a 38 special. I use a Taurus air weight in a vest pocket when weather permits. I also use a Ruger LC9 & a Kimber 45 with a 3" bbl in Galaco pancake belt holsters that I cover with a T-shirt. Bottom line only carry what you feel comfortable with and can shoot well and you know it as well as your own hand. ALSO get a CCW permit. I am a little different from most posters on this board in that I have 18 different pistols so I have many choices.

TUSK
08-08-2015, 01:53 PM
You may also want to look at an air weight 357 mag or a 38 special. I use a Taurus air weight in a vest pocket when weather permits. I also use a Ruger LC9 & a Kimber 45 with a 3" bbl in Galaco pancake belt holsters that I cover with a T-shirt. Bottom line only carry what you feel comfortable with and can shoot well and you know it as well as your own hand. ALSO get a CCW permit. I am a little different from most posters on this board in that I have 18 different pistols so I have many choices.

I'm with offshore... if you are a "novice", an S&W Airweight in 357 would be ideal... no worries of malfunctions and much less mntnc is required...

I like the energy of 45 acp over 9mm... 40, 45, 357 and 10mm all have good energy imo....

caveat: I'm a rifle guy predominately, not a pistol cat.

msstatelp1
08-08-2015, 04:16 PM
S&W Shield in 9mm if you're planning to carry concealed

Joe Schmedlap
08-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Ruger LCR .38 loaded with .38 special +P is easy to conceal and almost foolproof. Limited capacity, so not perfect if you encounter multiple feral thugs but would be effective against a single perp. Give strong consideration to laser grips on whatever you buy. Just painting someone with a laser might defuse a tense situation.

Uncle Ruckus
08-08-2015, 11:07 PM

What he said. If you're wanting something just to keep on your car then you won't go wrong with glock, springfield or s&w

Barking 13
08-09-2015, 06:58 PM
LC9 fits nice, but I can't stand the trigger pull.. I usually just tote the S&W 38 spl

Uncle Ruckus
08-10-2015, 06:59 AM
They are making a striker fired lc9 now that has a much nicer trigger pull.

fishwater99
08-10-2015, 09:57 AM

I prefer to carry the Glock 27, it's a .40. It's small and has the extra knockdown power that a 9mm doesn't have.