PDA

View Full Version : salt/brackish water question

chainedup_Dawg
08-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I love fishing for specs and reds, i just never get to go.

I just had a family member move within an hour of MS coast and about an hour and a half to gulf shores. I have an aluminum bass boat with standard freshwater equipment. My question is, if i were to take it inshore fishing and were sure to rinse the trailer, hull and flush the motor, would i really have anything to worry about?

SpeckleDawg
08-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Saltwater is hell on just about anything, but you should be fine. Biggest thing is to make sure and rinse it really well after every trip, the sooner the better. Definitely don't skimp on flushing the motor. Lot's of people use likely the same rig that you would be fishing out of down here all the time.

chainedup_Dawg
08-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Saltwater is hell on just about anything, but you should be fine. Biggest thing is to make sure and rinse it really well after every trip, the sooner the better. Definitely don't skimp on flushing the motor. Lot's of people use likely the same rig that you would be fishing out of down here all the time.

I appreciate the feedback Speck. I had planned on heading straight to a carwash or something right after trailering the boat to where i could rinse it off. I even thought about carrying a hose with me when i did go in order to be readily able to flush the motor. I guess, now the trick is finding somewhere that would allow me to flush the motor immediately. I really wouldn't be too happy with driving the hour and a half back before flushing it out

SpeckleDawg
08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
I appreciate the feedback Speck. I had planned on heading straight to a carwash or something right after trailering the boat to where i could rinse it off. I even thought about carrying a hose with me when i did go in order to be readily able to flush the motor. I guess, now the trick is finding somewhere that would allow me to flush the motor immediately. I really wouldn't be too happy with driving the hour and a half back before flushing it out

That would be a great idea. A lot of the self-serve car washes down here have over-sized bays for boats. I remember someone mentioning one of the harbors having a faucet near the ramp for flushing motors, but I can't recall where so it's not too helpful for you.

On another note, choose your locations/days carefully with the weather. Even the bays down here can get nasty in a hurry. I'm guessing your boat probably wouldn't like a heavy chop too much, but don't let that deter you. I fish in everything from a 22' deep v hull to a 14' jon boat and a kayak. The weather and time constraints dictate which one gets the call.

chainedup_Dawg
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
That would be a great idea. A lot of the self-serve car washes down here have over-sized bays for boats. I remember someone mentioning one of the harbors having a faucet near the ramp for flushing motors, but I can't recall where so it's not too helpful for you.

On another note, choose your locations/days carefully with the weather. Even the bays down here can get nasty in a hurry. I'm guessing your boat probably wouldn't like a heavy chop too much, but don't let that deter you. I fish in everything from a 22' deep v hull to a 14' jon boat and a kayak. The weather and time constraints dictate which one gets the call.

That would be great if i could gind a couple places with a faucet nearby the launch. I believe I'll go down there for a beach trip with the family and scope out the different ramps and see which ones would be beneficial before actually beinging my boat down.

Yeah, she doesn't like a whole lot of chop. It's a 17.5 foot basstracker. It has been in some pretty rough water but my guts didn't appreciate it! That is my main concern now, is getting stuck out there in bad weather.

Offshore Dawg
08-07-2015, 12:51 PM
I love fishing for specs and reds, i just never get to go.

I just had a family member move within an hour of MS coast and about an hour and a half to gulf shores. I have an aluminum bass boat with standard freshwater equipment. My question is, if i were to take it inshore fishing and were sure to rinse the trailer, hull and flush the motor, would i really have anything to worry about?

The salt air will corrode your electrical connections, you will start noticing this before the month is over.

BeastMan
08-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Speck has you pretty much covered with advice. Only thing I'd add is watch the weather and let the wind tell you where to launch and fish. Also don't forget to spray down your rods and reels with some fresh water after every trip. Salt will eat those up too.

chainedup_Dawg
08-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Offshore Dawg, anything to help avoid that? What do the charters use or those of you who have boats down there?

Beast, i was hoping you'd chime in. I try to pay as much attention to weather/wind as i can while fishing or planning to fish. I know it's tricky on the coast with the way storm systems pop up down there. Yeah, speck has been a big help.

Eta: i just miss the hell out of redfishing and fishing for specs, haven't been in about 5 years. I'm jealous of you guys that get to do it often. My dad, uncle and cousin used to all go to Venice and redfish one day and tuna fish the next, loved it

Offshore Dawg
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Offshore Dawg, anything to help avoid that? What do the charters use or those of you who have boats down there?

Beast, i was hoping you'd chime in. I try to pay as much attention to weather/wind as i can while fishing or planning to fish. I know it's tricky on the coast with the way storm systems pop up down there. Yeah, speck has been a big help.

Eta: i just miss the hell out of redfishing and fishing for specs, haven't been in about 5 years. I'm jealous of you guys that get to do it often. My dad, uncle and cousin used to all go to Venice and redfish one day and tuna fish the next, loved it

Boats for salt water use more none corrosive material and the connections are better sealed.

chainedup_Dawg
08-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Boats for salt water use more none corrosive material and the connections are better sealed.

Im just curious if any kind of wrap/tape, etc would help guard against this. I know in the automotive world there is a liquid style electrical tape that a lot of guys use