PDA

View Full Version : Coastal 'Crootin News

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2015, 07:40 AM
So I get to work this morning and I am enjoying my coffee and reading the local rag. I turn to the sports page and the top headline is :
"Hotty Toddy! Isles Golfer Plans to Play for Ole Miss" (http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/sports/local_sports/frederica-sophomore-commits-to-play-college-golf-at-ole-miss/article_7edb5c5f-a446-554c-b799-3bd2e63d2290.html). Now- he's a good kid by all accounts, and his Dad is a well-liked pro for the Brunswick Country Club. So, good luck to the kid, but here was my thought process:

My first thought is "nice, we are a golfing hotbed, we host the SEC Tourney every year, no surprise." We also send a number of kids to OM locally who can't get into UGA, so again no surprise.

The the tag line reads "Frederica sophomore commits to play golf at Ole Miss", and I raise an eyebrow. Then I read, "Oddly enough, Ole Miss was not originally on Hogan's list of schools to consider, said his mother, Susan Hogan. "We feel very fortunate it was added as it is the perfect fit for him," she said" and I almost blow coffee out my nose. Looks like The Network is franchising itself out to non-revenue sports.

maroonmania
08-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Somehow I doubt the #TheNetwork is devoting much time to golf. Most of those guys probably don't even know OM has a golf team.

msugolf
08-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Not hardly. The big money guys at OM, and State for that matter, are quite aware of the golf program. Just go out to CCJ, Annandale, or Waverly and you'll see real quick that they care. Even though it isn't a revenue sport and the casual fan doesn't care much about it, those big money boosters view golf as more of a status thing.

Also, as for the kid in Sea Island going to OM, one of the teaching pros out there is a former OM player so there's your tie in.

5 Star
08-06-2015, 09:13 AM
I take it you have some sort of a tie to our golf team?

If so, how does our program outlook appear at the moment? I figure with the new place out at Old Waverly, the program could potentially take off. I always thought we had huge potential there for golf, with the PGM and turf management and everything else. Plus, there are some good golfers in the state of Mississippi, or used to be in my day anyway.

I really wish Starkville had a nice public course/resort area, like Auburn has with Grand National. I think it could be a big draw. Of course, they have the RTJ system to pull from, which MS does not.

paco
08-06-2015, 09:46 AM
I was talking with a friend in St. Louis who knows a boy being recuiting for a Golf schooly at Alabama. The boy is an average student but a good golfer. The UA coach told him that it is up to the golf team to raise the GPA for the football and basketball team. Therefore, the boy's recruitment ended with UofA.

shannondawg
08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
George Bryan is building a new course across the road from Old Waverly, that will be open to the public.. From my understanding while open to the public, not every body may be able to afford the green fees, several hundred dollars I was told.

AlSwearengen
08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
George Bryan is building a new course across the road from Old Waverly, that will be open to the public.. From my understanding while open to the public, not every body may be able to afford the green fees, several hundred dollars I was told.

I thought that was basically what old waverly is. A very expensive public course.

scottycameron
08-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I was talking with a friend in St. Louis who knows a boy being recuiting for a Golf schooly at Alabama. The boy is an average student but a good golfer. The UA coach told him that it is up to the golf team to raise the GPA for the football and basketball team. Therefore, the boy's recruitment ended with UofA.

That's very plausible. They shouldn't take anybody without very good grades and test scores.