PDA

View Full Version : Random Baseball Question

bulldogcountry1
08-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Is there any data to support the notion that the ability to turn DPs translates into wins?

Really Clark?
08-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Is there any data to support the notion that the ability to turn DPs translates into wins?

Well most defensive metrics have a degree of error that can skew the results. UZR and DSR analysis includes DP but is a measurement for individuals and is used to develop fWAR or bWAR of the position player. As far as team wide, DER or Defensive Efficiency Rating maybe what you are looking for in a way but it doesn't isolate DP balls but is a part of the rating. Can't think of anyone putting a rating with just DP (and I assume you are not talking ALL DP just normal ground ball double plays or else the numbers get skewed) to measure wins. But I may be wrong.

smootness
08-05-2015, 02:35 PM

I'm sure it is evaluated as part of most advanced defensive metrics. And if certain players are able to turn DPs more often than others, why would that not translate into wins?

BrunswickDawg
08-05-2015, 03:15 PM

I'd say "yes" - but I saw many Braves teams in the 80s turn a pile of DPS and lose a ton of games. Glenn Hubbard is #29 all time for 2B in DPS turned
In '87 he led the league with 114 and they went 69-92.

Bama_Dawg
08-05-2015, 03:44 PM
I remember during our run for the Championship a few years back, the announcers saying that we either led or was in the top 5 in the country in DP's turned.

Really Clark?
08-05-2015, 04:02 PM
I'd say "yes" - but I saw many Braves teams in the 80s turn a pile of DPS and lose a ton of games. Glenn Hubbard is #29 all time for 2B in DPS turned
In '87 he led the league with 114 and they went 69-92.

I think we may be second in the league this year in DP per game. Hope we get to 69 wins

bulldogcountry1
08-05-2015, 07:28 PM
I remember during our run for the Championship a few years back, the announcers saying that we either led or was in the top 5 in the country in DP's turned.

We've been near the most in the nation for most of Cohen's tenure, and it's something that gets mentioned a lot, as if it were a great achievement. To me, it says nothing more than you put men on base early and you have a pretty decent MIF.

For us, pitching aggressive at the BBCOR bats lended itself to more DP opportunities. Now that there's a new ball that goes farther, I don't see how turning a high number of DPs will be a good thing. It will probably mean you are giving up a lot of hits, too.

Really Clark?
08-05-2015, 08:34 PM
We've been near the most in the nation for most of Cohen's tenure, and it's something that gets mentioned a lot, as if it were a great achievement. To me, it says nothing more than you put men on base early and you have a pretty decent MIF.

For us, pitching aggressive at the BBCOR bats lended itself to more DP opportunities. Now that there's a new ball that goes farther, I don't see how turning a high number of DPs will be a good thing. It will probably mean you are giving up a lot of hits, too.

Well first off you have be conscience of the fact that during this time we also utilized sinker type pitchers to help generate ground balls. Thus given teams like this more DP opportunities. To me with further ball flight if you can make the other team hit ground balls and into DP plays that's an even better advantage. And don't confuse number of DP turned and effiency. DER is about effiecent defense. The better the rate the better defense you have. Our fielding percentage was 14th in the country. You are looking at the completely wrong area to try to make some sort of argument with this line of thinking. There is not even an idiot coach would want less DP turned. You are limiting scoring opportunities and multiple run innings tremendously. Just look at the stats for the scoring probability and the run scored average with runners at first and second with no outs vs a runner at 3rd with two outs. And that's is just one comparison. The probability of scoring and the number of runs scored in an inning drop significantly with two outs.