PDA

View Full Version : Williams Redshirting???

BrunswickDawg
08-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Interesting
@MikeBBonner: We talked to Nick Fitzgerald, he said Damian Williams might redshirt this season.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Fitz must be impressive

jumbo
08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Only way this makes sense to me is if he's changing positions. If he's been passed by Fitz this year, no reason to think he doesn't also get passed by Staley.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Could be close to graduating in December or May & by RS he would be able to have 2 seasons of football left to play instead of 1 if he decides to transfer.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Not sure what it means, except that Mullen (QB guru) has ultimate faith in Fitz as a solid SEC backup QB. Which is fine by me.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Not sure what it means, except that Mullen (QB guru) has ultimate faith in Fitz as a solid SEC backup QB. Which is fine by me.

Or Damian still isn't 100% healthy from surgery this spring.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I will always be thankful for him stepping in against Arky and Northern Miss

BulldogBear
08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

+1

mstatefan91
08-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Very interesting news. I think Fitz or Staley would have overtaken him anyway though I never mind getting proved wrong.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Yep, Damien is a good bulldog, and he did an admirable job in the opportunities he had.

Coach34
08-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Not sure what it means, except that Mullen (QB guru) has ultimate faith in Fitz and Staley as a solid SEC backup QB. Which is fine by me.

fixed it for you

Quaoarsking
08-04-2015, 12:48 PM
This is good. Even as a backup, he's more useful to us in 2017 than 2015.

And if he does by chance win the job next year, we'll be really glad we did this.

Coach34
08-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Fitz must be impressive

and Staley

maroonmania
08-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Could be close to graduating in December or May & by RS he would be able to have 2 seasons of football left to play instead of 1 if he decides to transfer.

Kind of make sense. He would still be on the team and available in case of major injury issues or if he actually won back the 2nd string job but, if not, he would save the year to have available if he does decide to transfer after the Fall.

BrunswickDawg
08-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Just going to leave this tidbit of mine from my 9/27/13 game review here:
I could see Nick thriving with Shump and someone like Holloway out of the backfield. It would be a very Mullen at UF style O with Nick at QB. I am not saying he is Tebow - but he would be very good in that type offensive.

mstatefan91
08-04-2015, 12:59 PM
and Staley

You're trying too hard coach

Jack Lambert
08-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Wasn't he part of the fight club in Florida?

5 Star
08-04-2015, 01:03 PM
I disagree. I think we need to be playing him now to take some of the wear and tear off Dak. Next year he'll be a senior, with the other 2 as sophomores, so that's a pretty situation to be in after your Heisman candidate graduates. In 2017 we are looking at 2 juniors, Tiano and whoever we sign after that.

I think this decision, if true, is more injury-based than anything.

maroonmania
08-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I disagree. I think we need to be playing him now to take some of the wear and tear off Dak. Next year he'll be a senior, with the other 2 as sophomores, so that's a pretty situation to be in after your Heisman candidate graduates. In 2017 we are looking at 2 juniors, Tiano and whoever we sign after that.

I think this decision, if true, is more injury-based than anything.

What exactly was his injury? I do agree its a little early to already talk about redshirting if he was healthy and could actually compete in Fall camp for the backup role to Dak.

Offshore Dawg
08-04-2015, 01:20 PM
What exactly was his injury? I do agree its a little early to already talk about redshirting if he was healthy and could actually compete in Fall camp for the backup role to Dak.

I think he had surgery on his shoulder

1bigdawg
08-04-2015, 01:43 PM
It could be a combination of his injury plus his desire to have two years as a starter if he can win the position.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Anybody just tossing Staley out of the discussion at QB already is setting themselves up to look bad.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 01:44 PM
I imagine he probably transfers down a level in January & play 2yrs.

Coach34
08-04-2015, 01:55 PM

How so? Staley was ahead of Fitz until he got hurt during bowl practice- it's easy to see him take over by the end of August

mstatefan91
08-04-2015, 02:07 PM
How so? Staley was ahead of Fitz until he got hurt during bowl practice- it's easy to see him take over by the end of August
I just mean that you interject his name any time that Fitz is talked about. Staley will separate himself if he is that much better and healthy. People are talking about Fitz because they saw what he could do at the spring game. They haven't had as much exposure to Staley yet.

People will remember Staley's name when they actually see him play.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 02:10 PM
I imagine he probably transfers down a level in January & play 2yrs.
Yeah, the staff could just be looking out for his future.

Bama_Dawg
08-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Anybody just tossing Staley out of the discussion at QB already is setting themselves up to look bad.

Dan even said yesterday they are still protecting Staley (and we can because we have Dak, Nick, and Damian). So, yes, its great to have Nick as a backup, but anyone who believes the backup competition will be settled early on is mistaken. When Staley is fully healthy, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

DownwardDawg
08-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Yep.

HancockCountyDog
08-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Its going to be interesting to see how spring plays out, I know Im looking way ahead, but what a QB battle.

1bigdawg
08-04-2015, 02:39 PM
My questions on Staley have nothing to do with his physical talent. Can he make quick decisions, or will he hold the ball to long like previous QBs? Is he a leader the team respects?

He has not played a live game since the first game or two of his Senior year and these questions have in no way been answered.

A less physically talented QB who is a leader and who can make the quick decisions could be a better starter. It is always hard to judge until they play.

maroonmania
08-04-2015, 02:43 PM
I just mean that you interject his name any time that Fitz is talked about. Staley will separate himself if he is that much better and healthy. People are talking about Fitz because they saw what he could do at the spring game. They haven't had ANY exposure to Staley yet.

People will remember Staley's name when they actually see him play.

FIFY

Leroy Jenkins
08-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Some fans may not be completely sold on Staley after the way his HS career ended. Maybe nothing maybe something. Just a thought.

HancockCountyDog
08-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Some fans may not be completely sold on Staley after the way his HS career ended. Maybe nothing maybe something. Just a thought.

For me it's based on what I saw from Fitz in the spring game, he looked great.

codeDawg
08-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Here's what we know. Mullen, the guy who has coached his fair share of NFL QB's, says Staley is the most talented QB he has ever recruited or coached and has a rocket for an arm. Fitz played the best spring game of any RS Freshman (or Sophmore for that matter) I have ever seen at MSU. These guys are behind a legitimate Heisman candidate. The guy we're talking about redshirting came in and won a game against Arkansas on the road.

This all blows my mind.

BrunswickDawg
08-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Here's what we know. Mullen, the guy who has coached his fair share of NFL QB's, says Staley is the most talented QB he has ever recruited or coached and has a rocket for an arm. Fitz played the best spring game of any RS Freshman (or Sophmore for that matter) I have ever seen at MSU. These guys are behind a legitimate Heisman candidate. The guy we're talking about redshirting came in and won a game against Arkansas on the road.

This all blows my mind.

^ This

Offshore Dawg
08-04-2015, 03:03 PM

This all blows my mind.

For those of you with limited memory, this is the best MSU has in my lifetime (64) years had it at QB.

MSUDawg4Life
08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
For those of you with limited memory, this is the best MSU has in my lifetime (64) years had it at QB.

Haven't been around that long, but this is definitely the best group of QBs I've seen at MSU.

Bama_Dawg
08-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Yep, and there's also this Tiano kid that they say can play too. Yet to be seen what he can do on the collegiate level, but let him RS, learn, and grow into the system. Makes for an even better time.

smootness
08-04-2015, 03:12 PM
My questions on Staley have nothing to do with his physical talent. Can he make quick decisions, or will he hold the ball to long like previous QBs? Is he a leader the team respects?

He has not played a live game since the first game or two of his Senior year and these questions have in no way been answered.

A less physically talented QB who is a leader and who can make the quick decisions could be a better starter. It is always hard to judge until they play.

I would be careful with this kind of talk. Fitzgerald hasn't shown us any of this, either, so we should have the exact same questions about him.

1bigdawg
08-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post

I would be careful with this kind of talk. Fitzgerald hasn't shown us any of this, either, so we should have the exact same questions about him.

I agree and did not mention Fitzgerald for that reason. I could have named several names, pro and con.

Johnson85
08-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Dan even said yesterday they are still protecting Staley (

So staley is still limited? What was his injury? For some reason I thought he just had surgery to clean up some cartilage damage in his knee back in the spring, but obviously must have been a little more than that.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Staley has been either injured or kicked off his high school team for 2 years now basically. Fitz has shown the ability to perform in practice and in the Spring game, so at least there is SOME action to form judgement upon. And Fitz looked Damn good for a Freshman in the Spring game.

If people don't understand why nobody is salivating over Staley, that's why. Also, let's just shoot straight here...Staley at 6'7, doesn't exactly fit the Dak mold in terms of running ability, so I would imagine some people wonder how well he fits into a Mullen scheme. We've seen Fitz run it a lot in high school, but Staley seems to be more of a passer. I think Staley will surprise people with his running ability, but he is not going to be Dak with his feet...and even C34 is always talking about how Mullen QB's "will always carry the ball a ton, because that's what his offense is built on", so people are probably wondering how well he will fit. Combine that with past disciplinary issues in high school, and injury issues, and you get a lot of people thinking Fitz will be the guy.

Not saying they're right or wrong, just explaining to those few that can't seem to understand why Fitz is brought up more. I think and hope Staley becomes the backup this year, bc if he beats out the guy I saw in the Spring game we have a great situation on our hands.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Staley has been either injured or kicked off his high school team for 2 years now basically. Fitz has shown the ability to perform in practice and in the Spring game, so at least there is SOME action to form judgement upon. And Fitz looked Damn good for a Freshman in the Spring game.

If people don't understand why nobody is salivating over Staley, that's why. Also, let's just shoot straight here...Staley at 6'7, doesn't exactly fit the Dak mold in terms of running ability, so I would imagine some people wonder how well he fits into a Mullen scheme. We've seen Fitz run it a lot in high school, but Staley seems to be more of a passer. I think Staley will surprise people with his running ability, but he is not going to be Dak with his feet...and even C34 is always talking about how Mullen QB's "will always carry the ball a ton, because that's what his offense is built on", so people are probably wondering how well he will fit. Combine that with past disciplinary issues in high school, and injury issues, and you get a lot of people thinking Fitz will be the guy.

Not saying they're right or wrong, just explaining to those few that can't seem to understand why Fitz is brought up more. I think and hope Staley becomes the backup this year, bc if he beats out the guy I saw in the Spring game we have a great situation on our hands.

Cam was 6'6" & he ran the power portion of the offense pretty good.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2015, 04:01 PM
didn't Fitz only play 1 or 2 yrs at QB in HS ? ..... if that's the case I'm really excited to see how he develops. I'm big on Staley as well - just haven't yet seen the young man play

Leroy Jenkins
08-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Fitz was a WR until his Sr year I believe.

BrunswickDawg
08-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Fitz was a WR until his Sr year I believe.
That correct - and he was an All Region WR his Jr. Year. Had a handful of snaps as backup QB.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Cam was 6'6" & he ran the power portion of the offense pretty good.
Let's hold off on the Staley to Newton projections. About all those guys have in common at the moment is that they are black, tall and from the Atlanta metro. Cam Newton was 225 lbs. coming out of high school, Staley was 205. Essentially, Staley was a beanpole and Cam was built like a mack truck. Can it change? Maybe. But Cam was a once a decade talent, guys that are 6'6" and run like he did are the far and away exception.

maroonmania
08-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Let's hold off on the Staley to Newton projections. About all those guys have in common at the moment is that they are black, tall and from the Atlanta metro. Cam Newton was 225 lbs. coming out of high school, Staley was 205. Essentially, Staley was a beanpole and Cam was built like a mack truck. Can it change? Maybe. But Cam was a once a decade talent, guys that are 6'6" and run like he did are the far and away exception.

Well wasn't it reported that Staley is 248 now?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 05:32 PM

I don't think I was comparing Staley to Cam. Cadaver made a comment about Staley handling the power running component because he's 6'7". I made the observation that Cam was 6'6" & handled the power running part of the game fine. Nothing more nothing less. For your 2nd part Staley is 6'7" 245lbs. Physically he's a spitting image of Cam.

Rayburn8
08-04-2015, 05:51 PM

Because weight coming out of high school is always an indicator for our team. IDK why there is a agenda against Staley here, but it will be really fun a year from now when he is announced our starter.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I don't think I was comparing Staley to Cam. Cadaver made a comment about Staley handling the power running component because he's 6'7". I made the observation that Cam was 6'6" & handled the power running part of the game fine. Nothing more nothing less. For your 2nd part Staley is 6'7" 245lbs. Physically he's a spitting image of Cam.

Cam is 6'5, but that's not the part of my post I was keying on.

Staley ran for 100 yds through his 5 games his Senior year, while passing for more than 1,000. He likely isn't Dak/Cam as a runner, but his arm is big time. He is definitely mobile though.

And I said nothing about the "power run game", I was talking about the run game as a whole. At 6'7 250 pounds, He's closer to Jeremy Liggins than Dak Prescott in terms of running ability. That doesn't mean he can't be a hell of a passer and overall QB though. He will likely have nowhere near the capability for a Dak vs LSU type run at that size....it's not a knock, just is what it is.

I'd love to see him win the backup job this year, and I think he can. I think we have 3 very very good QB's behind Dak.

Simply explaining why some (not me) probably are hesitant to say Staley is the guy. He just isn't what they're probably used to seeing with Dak, and people like what they're seeing with Dak. Truth is, we could win as many or more with Elijah in the future possibly...it may just look different. Which is cool with me. In Dan I trust when it comes to QB's.

ETA: And before the smart asses arrive, YES, I was being sarcastic about the Liggins comment.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Staley ran for 100 yds through his 5 games his Senior year, while passing for more than 1,000. He likely isn't Dak/Cam as a runner, but his arm is big time. He is definitely mobile though.

And I said nothing about the "power run game", I was talking about the run game as a whole. At 6'7 250 pounds, He's closer to Jeremy Liggins than Dak Prescott in terms of running ability. That doesn't mean he can't be a hell of a passer and overall QB though. He will likely have nowhere near the capability for a Dak vs LSU type run at that size....it's not a knock, just is what it is.

I'd love to see him win the backup job this year, and I think he can. I think we have 3 very very good QB's behind Dak.

Simply explaining why some (not me) probably are hesitant to say Staley is the guy. He just isn't what they're probably used to seeing with Dak, and people like what they're seeing with Dak. Truth is, we could win as many or more with Elijah in the future possibly...it may just look different. Which is cool with me. In Dan I trust when it comes to QB's.

I gotcha & see where you're coming from. Healthy tho I may take Staley in a foot race over Dak. He has a lot of those freaky athletic attributes that Cam has. Again not calling him Cam just saying physically & athletically they're are a lot alike.

Pollodawg
08-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Staley will be the QB of the future. What Staley lacks in speed, he makes up for in being a long strider.

Really Clark?
08-04-2015, 08:25 PM

ETA: And before the smart asses arrive, YES, I was being sarcastic about the Liggins comment.

Not that Staley will necessarily rush the ball like Dak or Tebow running but his yardage wasn't what impressed me it was the fact he averaged 8.4 yards per carry through his high school career. His average was good but he didn't rush the ball a whole lot but didn't he have a really good running back at the time as well? I maybe misremembering.

Dawgcentral
08-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I just haven't seen Staley handle the ball against D-1 competition. Also, he seems to be prone to injury. Fitzgerald seems to be in the #2 spot right now and we've seen what he can do potentially. I'd love to be wrong, and sit back smiling in the thought that he's the next Cam Newton waiting to pounce.

Not sure how this will all shake out. Not sure anyone here knows either. That's not an insult, just an observation.

preachermatt83
08-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Fitz Is our QB of the future. Mark it down.

cheewgumm
08-05-2015, 12:38 AM
I personally love that there is a Fitz/ Staley divide in our fan base.

"I'm a Staley guy!"

We'll see.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Staley will be the QB of the future. What Staley lacks in speed, he makes up for in being a long strider.

That's the thing with tall guys. With those long strides, they may not look like they're moving that fast, but they're covering a ton of ground. They just kind of glide. Go watch Matt Jones at QB for Arkansas several years back. He's the perfect example of a tall, long striding QB who didn't look fast but was running 4.4-4.5. Staley is in the same mold.

Don't know where all the question marks with Staley from a physical standpoint are coming from, because the kid is a freak athletically. Leadership ability and how he handles the mental aspects of the QB job are the key with him. If you want to question that, I think it's fair game at this point. But questioning his physical tools is just nuts. Considering he's coached Alex Smith, Tebow, Newton, and now Dak, Mullen saying Staley is the most gifted QB he's ever coached should speak volumes about his physical abilities.

Gatordog
08-05-2015, 03:28 AM
I love this debate over which BACK UP is better and taller and quicker, hell 7 years ago we were wondering if we had a QB above 5'7" that could start. We were wondering if we had a QB that could contribute run yards to our impotent offense instead we had a QB that was running for his life not positive yardage, now we actually have back ups and the best QB in the SEC who can get positive yardage for the offense. OHHHH times have changed!!!!

Dawgface
08-05-2015, 06:07 AM
I just haven't seen Staley handle the ball against D-1 competition. Also, he seems to be prone to injury. Fitzgerald seems to be in the #2 spot right now and we've seen what he can do potentially. I'd love to be wrong, and sit back smiling in the thought that he's the next Cam Newton waiting to pounce.

Not sure how this will all shake out. Not sure anyone here knows either. That's not an insult, just an observation.

No one knows how it will shake out. Fitz looks good at this point and all we know about Staley is what we have seen on high school film and what Mullen has had to say about him. As to who wins the job next year........I don't care. Just want one to step forward and shine.

Dawgfan77
08-05-2015, 06:26 AM

Mullen thinks ES ceiling is the highest of any QB he has recruited

MabenMaroon
08-05-2015, 09:25 AM
6/7 years ago who would have ever imagined that we would be debating about backup qb's like this thread is. Damn! this is a good predicament to be in.

Am tremendously excited to see what develops post Dak. Am thinking that there is the potential and a strong probability for one of three qb's ( that haven't seen playing time ) to equal or surpass Dak's accolades and accomplishments which will be the best we have ever had and one of the SEC's best ever.